Note to New Members ×

The saga of the New Snowriver Mountain Resort

Algunderfoot

Sunday   

Trenchin' up 1st day groom making 1st tracks down Sundance....in the sun :1luvu:

Riding the 8rw :1luvu:

VID_20180114_034627_00_015_2023-03-19_18-01-27_screenshot.jpg.f172c999ce2b4025c0fe1e561ca9fcc6.jpg

Every run had groomer seams. Some, like this one had fewer seams and fortunately the snow was soft enough in most places to slice right through them. But then, some runs had significant seams all the way across and felt wash-boardy as you carved across the fall line.

Rode with Beth & Al again today at Jackson Creek.

Heading up to Giant's Ridge tomorrow. Hopefully the un-seamless grooming epidemic has not spread there.

• Like 1

JCS Snowriver resort 

From last week, Monday, March 13. 1st tracks on Alpenglow (formerly Old Flambeau) 

Again, turn down the sound, as the wind is loud.

Riding a Thirst Superconductor and having fun with this new insta360 camera on a lightweight stick. So much easier and lighter than the gopro on a monopod I was using before. It opens up a whole 'nother world in the editing process.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Snowriver Update:

While the new 6 pack nears completion, new glades are also being cut on the East side of Jackson Creek Summit.

Meanwhile, the Black River Basin Lodge is getting a full face-lift and remodel.

https://www.snowriver.com/discover/snow-river/bens-blog/the-transformation-continues?spMailingID=48590977&spUserID=MTQ5MTUzODE5MDgyOQS2&spJobID=2521463692&spReportId=MjUyMTQ2MzY5MgS2

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As of the end of August the terminals are now on site and being assembled. Chairs are on site as well after a slight delay due to a Shoreworkers strike in Canada. Weather has helped, with a little extra effort, I'm sure this local crew will get it done!

https://www.facebook.com/100064756478495/posts/pfbid02Dge5YG1CA6pyc3d9RfssfsngMQXAgKgPNYceDDepSo9LotRzPmcJQGDuMf2YDTGMl/?mibextid=Nif5oz

FB_IMG_1694732815340.jpg

FB_IMG_1694732807084.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello winter!! :ph34r: its been awhileScreenShot2024-01-19at3_46_47PM.png.a92e94d0a28cccd0c00bf00b98e878bf.png

Jackson Creek Summit

Clouds of snow streaming in off the lake since yesterday. Temps near zero. 4-6" of fine polar powder overnight with deeper pockets and it's still snowing. There's a good base on the main runs. The east & west ends of the mountain are not open yet.

Fun day...the new high speed 6pac chair is nice. None of the new chair pylons landed on a trail and with the old ones gone the hill feels more open. :biggthump

Rode the 202cm (TSm²) tanker-spanker all day!

• Like 1

Saturday

Day 2 at JCS. Had another 4" overnight, most of it got groomed in with 1-2" of fluff on top. Made 1st tracks in light snow/fog in near zero temps. The sun came out after awhile and temps got up to 8. A most beautiful day! 😍

Met up with Al & Beth. It got busy after another hour or so. Rode the TSm² most of the day. Nice airy packed powder with a pillowy bounce in the turns. 

By afternoon, things were getting choppy/moguly and hard on the legs. Rode for 3+ hours. Gonna save some legs for tomorrow.

• Like 1

Sunday

Day 3 at Snowriver. Made 2 runs at JCS first thing this morning. Super windy, flat light and hard groom with seams, not fun. :nono:  Decided to make the 10 min drive to BRB (BlackRiverBasin) and found shelter from the wind. The grooming was way better, softer, near perfect! :biggthump...and the sun came out. :1luvu:  No crowds, no traffic on the hill, lots of untracked groom, even after noon.

Feeling the quality of the groom while measuring the depth of trenches...

riding the 171 XC

ScreenShot2024-01-21at4_56_37PM.png.eb0cd26e087fc1cd729c5dae30461085.png

Rode for a few hours. Didn't have much left in my legs.

image.png.fe3ebd90b7fa8ed04b96098b8036b338.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Thursday  10° with flat light that got brighter as it warmed up to 25° in the afternoon.

With the new snow groomed in, conditions were variable--isolated ice patches, gravely & crusty groom with a few soft groomer passes that were nice for carving. Enough to get a nice bounce in turns. The slopes got softer as it warmed up.  3 runs--Alpenglow, Superior and Voyager, had the best snow. The bottom steep section was icy.

Got a room at the hill. Hoping for nice spring carving conditions tomorrow. Supposed to be sunny and 45°+.

Rode the XC and Super, both with my mini 3 toad gecko variants. Made riding today's variable and rough terrain more tolerable. Spent some time tweaking stance & angles on the plates, using shallower angles to optimize control on icy and variable conditions. 52° front and 47° rear with a slight outward cant on the rear foot seems to be working nicely. Hopefully, I can still avoid booting out with those angles while being raised on the plates.

Rode about 4 hrs including several tweak breaks.

Looks like there will be some ski races here Fri-Sat-Sun.

P.S.

@Algunderfoot & Beth were here first thing this morning, but bailed early hoping for better conditions tomorrow. I had to ride due to my self imposed "ride-at-least-as-long-as-spent-driving-there" rule. :smashfrea

P.P.S.

There will be about 70 racers on FIS tomorrow and maybe more Saturday and Sunday. (and they might be on the hill before 9am). MRL (Midwest Race League) championships. 

• Like 1

Friday   32° and up 50° and above by noon. Sunny, windy.

Rode from 1st tracks til about noon. Snow groomed out to a more consistent surface today, more like a typical MN firm--kinda hard, a little crunchy, trenches ½" deep or so.  

Rode with Al & Beth. Stopped for a break and a beer around noon and sat in the warm sun at the bottom. The snow turned super sticky by the time we got back on the hill.

I had a good crash when my board came to a halt in sticky snow going into a heelside turn, slammed onto my back knocking the wind out of me and sliding helplessly headfirst downhill. You know it was a good crash when people stop to see if you're okay. Day over for me :mad:. I was so looking forward to an afternoon of spring slush carving, but I'm feeling pretty stiff and sore.

It was nice to be able to ride up all together on the new 6 person chair.

IMG_0237.jpg.243214596691a7cb060dd935fd6b260f.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg.965052400205d7cc922b6929f7ed383b.jpg

It was almost 60° on the drive home. There are warm temps and rain in the near forecast. 😬

• Like 1