Note to New Members ×

X-forum alpine carving discussion (ski)

Slim

It blows my mind how the vast majority of skiers still just don't get it.

"He's not even on carving skis" - as if only certain skis will carve.

Also, the idea that carving and skiing are different.

In our ski school, out of around 150 ski instructors, we are lucky if 10 - 20 carve (of couse those who do carve do so really well).

Snowboarders are so far ahead when it comes to carving.

???

at my mountains, all the "good" skiers are carving when they are skiing the groomers. of course, their carving is basically bombing the fall line and maybe getting an inclination of 40 degrees at most, with their arms spread out and REALLY ugly in my opinion. there's no flow at all. some skiers can have a flow while carving, but it's hard when you've got poles and everything. the body positioning isnt pretty. one stick better than 2 sticks.

A ski instructor once saw some aggressive low long radius turns, and commented at the bottom how my "short radius" carves were nice. Flying down the fall line carving a massive radius inclinated at less than 40 degrees, I can't see how you get pumped up on that, and it's ugly! :)

skis really shine when there's chop though, the kind of refrozen thaw chop on top of super hardpack that is unfortunatly not extremely rare in the east. They plow through it and don't lose their edges, I guess mainly because their quite soft, and if one ski is chattering on choppy hardpack, you always have the other cleanly carving.

They also shine in that they aren't nearly as specialized as snowboards in my opinion. A powder ski will still carve, you could take it in the terrain park and be competent. A slalom ski you could take through moguls, you could go in the woods, you could go in the terrain park. With snowboards, they are heavily specialized. Skis can do it all decently, a particular design is only biased towards some type of riding. Snowboards can do what they are designed to do, better! :)

Wow. All skis have sidecut. A sidecut is meant to be carved. If you do not know how to carve, you do not know how to use your skis.

Just like if you don't know how to carve your snowboard, you don't know how to use your snowboard.

I've heard the excuse: "the sidecut helps initiate a turn/scrape/skid, it's not only for carving".

This makes a smidgen of sense to me, because it seems like you'd have to do more of a hop turn to get a straight board (or ski) to skid. I've only ridden boards and skis with sidecuts so I wouldnt know for sure though. Thoughts?

I'm hardly an expert but while teaching myself to snowblade, I really couldn't turn well like I saw skiiers learning to turn in class. I remembered "half-swizzles" from ice skating and took advantage of really using the sidecut on my downhill ski. The result-perfect sine wave carves that looked really cool from the lift. Also, when getting Katie rental skis for her 3rd year of skiing. I had the option of getting curved or straight skis. Of course, I opted for curved skis.

Most skiers I know "traverse and turn"-I don't think they really know-as in pushing the limit of their equipment-finding an edge, decambering their skis and carving. I know when I mention edging on my snowboard to my skiing spouse-he looks at me as if I'm speaking Greek to him...

Oh, and the really nice thing about snowblading-no poles...

Sure, it's tough getting up when you wipe out, but you also have to learn technique instead of relying on your poles

Originally posted by nekdut

I've heard the excuse: "the sidecut helps initiate a turn/scrape/skid, it's not only for carving".

Okay, then I'll adjust my statement to say If you don't know how to carve your skis, you don't <i>fully</i> know how to use your skis.

I've seen far more skiers carving than snowboarders. but the vast majority of people on the slopes do not fully carve their turns. I was carving with my skis back in the mid 70's. You just needed more speed and expect less of a turn than today's equipment will deliver. back then carving was more about bending the ski than relying on sidecut.

Originally posted by ARCrider

I've seen far more skiers carving than snowboarders. but the vast majority of people on the slopes do not fully carve their turns. I was carving with my skis back in the mid 70's. You just needed more speed and expect less of a turn than today's equipment will deliver. back then carving was more about bending the ski than relying on sidecut.

I was watching a GS race on OLN and the announcers were saying that the men racers manhandled the skis to get them around the gates, but the women were better at leaning in and letting the sidecut of the ski carry them.....

Learning "curve"? The men being coached by older male GS racers and the women not having the same "dogmas" taught to them???

I love watching ski races-I wished the jibbers in our sport wouldn't get so huffy when you imply that snowboarding is an athletic pursuit