Note to New Members ×

Anyone ridden a Dirtsurfer?

SWriverstone

Okay, I admit it---I'm fickle. I just discovered the Dirtsurfer, and in my never-ending quest for something like carving to do in the summer, THIS LOOKS LIKE IT!!! :) (Or maybe not.) I've been enjoying my Insect Dragonfly, but geez...I'm finding the skateboard learning curve a LOT steeper than carving (for me, anyway).

A big factor in my slow skateboard curve is the lack of brakes. It just freaks me out to be going fast on asphalt with no brakes (and foot braking ain't cutting it for me).

The Dirtsurfer has brakes! WOOHOO! And they're foot/leg operated (not a hand grip). I'd love to try one of these out...but finding someone who has one could be a challenge. The other problem with Dirtsurfers is they're expensive. Like $475 for the starter model, and up to $800. (Ouch!)

Check out the video clips on their site---and the reviews (if they're real) are raving! People are blown away by this thing! Guys are kiting with them, skim-batting with them, riding them on every conceivable surface, even riding 'em on fresh corduroy! Also, here's a link to an excellent FAQ on the Dirtsurfer (better than the info on their website!).

Any experiences here?

Scott

Get in contact with them.....

They have reps here in the states, and frequently attend Mountain Board get-togethers. You would be able to try one there, if they have on close enough for you to get to.

They were in Moab Utah a couple of years back, riding them on the slickrock.

Originally posted by Jon Dahl

this is the product that has me looking at scrap bikes and thinking of firing up my wire feed welder! I wanna have one!

Was thinking the same thing, the design looks simple enough. Getting the front wheel pivot point right would be the biggest challenge. But hey, that would be the best part of making it yourself. being the test pilot, or look for volunteers. :D

Scott,

looks very cool and very fast. To my untrained eye, looks much faster than a skateboard and prolly more stable. At least the guys in the video seemed to be flying.

Looks like they did a big promo right in your backyard @ Snowshoe mtn. Let me know when you buy one!

Barry

Have you gotten the flexboard yet? These boards all look pretty cool to me - although the ability to brake like a bicycle is definitely a plus. I'm going to see if I can demo a dirtsurfer as one of the review people seems to be from the Bay Area.

Has anyone compared these to traditional mountain boards?

Yes, I checked out the Flowboard, the Flexboard, the T-board, and all the other variations I could find. So far, the Dirtsurfer gets my highest vote of confidence due to the brakes! :)

Some of the reviews on their site are hilarious---one guy talked about how they were like rock stars riding 'em around town (nobody had ever seen one)---people were taking pictures, and (I quote from the review) girls were even "flashing their t*ts." LOL

Another guy said he's been kiteboarding for 7 years...then tried a Dirtsurfer on the beach with his kite. Then, when he was back on the water, all he could think about was getting back on the beach with the Dirtsurfer again! (It was that good, he said.)

I'm starting to rummage through my toy closets looking for stuff I can hawk on eBay to raise funds to buy one. :D Anyone need a Palm Tungsten T3? How about a Glidecam 2000? (These are going on eBay soon!)

Scott

I've been in touch with Brian Duvall, a stateside rep for Dirtsurfer in Roanoke, Virginia. It sounds like the company hasn't made any effort to market the Dirtsurfer in the US, as they are planning a "major US launch" right now (as well as getting the Dirtsurfer USA website online).

After talking to Brian and studying all the vidclips on the site, I'm convinced that the Dirtsurfer is the best "non-snow" board-style ride out there. They're smoother, faster, and have greater stability with speed (just like a bicycle). The braking system is well thought-out:

- you lean back against a mudguard-style lever to brake---this engages bike-style caliper brakes on the rear rim

- if the brake cable should ever break, you can still brake by leaning the mudguard lever against the rear tire

- there is a button under your rear foot (the "deadman's brake") that stops the board if you fall off

Guys are riding these boards at high speeds---in traffic! Yeah, they may be crazy...but these boards appear as stable and reliable and easy to stop as a bicycle. (Comparing them to skateboards is like asking why bicycles don't have 4 wheels. :) )

Skateboards might be better for stunts and tricks...but for cruising and carving, the Dirtsurfer appears to kill skateboards and all other variations! Now if they could only make them cheaper...

Scott

Originally posted by SWriverstone

I've been in touch with Brian Duvall, a stateside rep for Dirtsurfer in Roanoke, Virginia. It sounds like the company hasn't made any effort to market the Dirtsurfer in the US, as they are planning a "major US launch" right now (as well as getting the Dirtsurfer USA website online).

After talking to Brian and studying all the vidclips on the site, I'm convinced that the Dirtsurfer is the best "non-snow" board-style ride out there. They're smoother, faster, and have greater stability with speed (just like a bicycle). The braking system is well thought-out:

- you lean back against a mudguard-style lever to brake---this engages bike-style caliper brakes on the rear rim

- if the brake cable should ever break, you can still brake by leaning the mudguard lever against the rear tire

- there is a button under your rear foot (the "deadman's brake") that stops the board if you fall off

Guys are riding these boards at high speeds---in traffic! Yeah, they may be crazy...but these boards appear as stable and reliable and easy to stop as a bicycle. (Comparing them to skateboards is like asking why bicycles don't have 4 wheels. :) )

Skateboards might be better for stunts and tricks...but for cruising and carving, the Dirtsurfer appears to kill skateboards and all other variations! Now if they could only make them cheaper...

Scott

Yea, I'm quickly coming to the same conclusions... but part of it might be the "rebound fad" effect from snowboard withdrawal. Nevertheless the people at DirtSurfer have gotten me in touch with some local owners and I'm going to try it out next week.

I don't see $550 as that expensive compared to the snowboarding gear or even a regular bicycle... for me kitesurfing is the super-expensive sport - $1000 for a kite that you can't even rent seems like a lot to me, obviously buying used is cheaper - but some times you have to pay a premium to get the good stuff first (just like all the custom snowboards people get).

It's official---I'm buying a Dirtsurfer. I've been in touch with a rep and a distributor (both in the Roanoke, Virginia area) and picked their brains about it extensively. I've heard nothing negative, and these guys have been super-helpful and respond quickly to any communication.

I'm completely convinced the Dirtsurfer simply towers over any other form of "landboard" out there, particularly if you're looking for a way to keep carving through the summer. They're not as good for tricks, so if riding pipes and pools is your thing, don't bother---stick with skateboards (though some Dirtsurfer pros might argue with that!).

But if you want to carve down roads, grass slopes and trails at moderate to high speeds, nothing else even comes close to a Dirtsurfer. I could be wrong about it, but I doubt it (and I'm convinced enough to send off the cash for one). The gyroscopic stability that comes from the larger bike tires is a huge improvement over skateboards (and T-boards and Flowboards and etc.)

I should have it in another week or so, and will definitely shoot some video and keep you guys posted (the BOL guinea pig).

Scott

PS - Footstraps are optional on the Dirtsurfer; riders seem split between those who prefer them and those who don't (mostly depending on aggressive vs. casual riding styles).

dirtsurfer_gp_400.jpg

I feel that Dirtsurf is pretty close riding long stick :) it needs space and it does not turn tight but it makes nice wide angled carves/curves like gs-board. If you look more tighter turnier one then best i've seen is carveBoard.

But yes, i would go with Dirtsurf if you have space for wider turns :D

Originally posted by D-Sub

the one thing I noticed was a pretty narrow stance-width possibility? really looked like most of the riders legs were quite close together

wouldnt mind tryin one out tho

You should email the people at dirtsurfer to ask for a local contact. I was passed the name of two owners in my area and both were super willing to let me try theirs out (I'm meeting one on Monday). I know there's a big crew in LA (if you ever move back there) and then there's also a group in Washington State... so I figure there must be someone near you.

Hi, so today I met with a local Dirtsurfer and we went to the parking lot of a nearby golf course to try it out. The dirtsurfer has a elegant, simple design and sturdy if not flashy construction (I just read the post about people who like titanium/chrome/color-anodized aluminum just for the sake of looks). The wheel are a standard 20" bicycle wheel, the front wheel is mounted to a generic pivot (sorry I'm not super mechanically incline so I might miss some more subtle details) and swings freely with NO type of bushing or spring to center it. The steering is done exactly in the same way you ride a bicycle (and I assume a motocycle) in which you first *lean* the vehicle in the direction of the turn and then the front wheel pretty much automatically adjusts its direction based on the given lean/turn radius. Like riding a bicycle without holding onto the handlebars, the Surfer is tippy/unstable at a complete stop or just starting to roll - but quickly gains a lot of stability from the gyroscope effect of it's big wheels.

I mainly took a few very short runs down the access ramp to an overflow parking lot and then 1-2 runs on the grassy hill next to it. In both, once the bike was at least going at jogging speed (don't give up if you have trouble getting on to it), it felt very stable and comfortable to ride and turn - the turn radius is much more like that of a snowboard (compared to the really tight turning of a skateboard). Riding the Surfer down grass and over less than 3 inch rocks is completely fine and I think a particular strength of the larger wheels. Using the brake is also relatively easy once you get the hang of it, my associate removed the deadman's brake and also loosen the calf brake so that you can initiate the brake when you want to and nicely slow down you speed, but it is very unlikely for you to do it by accident. The require backleg lean would be equivalent to doing a wheelie on your back (i.e. flexing the board so everything in front of the back binding is off the ground). If you are that off-balance, you are probably going to crash anyways and having the back wheel slow down a little (the brake is very gentle) isn't going to hurt... and much actually help you get you weight back foward a little (well I don't know about that). The Surfer won't stop on a dime... but it ability to slow down at a decent rate (like squeeze you bicycle brake with a relaxed grip) definitely inspires confidence... unlike my longboard where I have to either take a foot off the board to footbrake or through the board into a slide... neither of which is every remotely possible if I'm not stable over my board... that's another... obviously with two wheels, there are no speed wobbles. The person I borrowed the Dirtsurfer from says he's gone 35-40 mph on the thing after only 3-4 months of riding it (he's ridden it for about 6 months now). Since the smoothness of the ride is essentially that of a lowered-bicycle I definitely feel that is easily possible

So far I've only ridden it down a short, 30 foot ramp that runs out into a flat parking lot. In the next few weeks I plan to go with my associate to try out some grassy hills. This has particularly attraction to me back I find roads to be a bit narrow and have these big heavy metal things zooming all over them :) Nevertheless, based on my initial feeling I think you (SWriverstone) will really enjoy your purchase. I wouldn't say that the feel is exactly like carving because you don't get the fast edge changes and suddenly "zoom" that you get with the edge hooks up and carves you at high G's, it's more of a powder mellow rolling feel (basically just imagine leaning a bicycle left and right... minus a seat or handle ars).

Ironically... I ended up selling the person my Tierney Board! I had it in my trunk and he zoomed around on it while I played with his Dirtsurfer. He found the center of small center of balance and quick tippiness to be "very scary" and so he just "had" to buy it and play with it some more.

Several of the golf club personnel came out to look at what we were doing... but once they were assured that we weren't going to go onto their golf course (yet) they were more than happy to let us play in their near empty overflow parking lot (this golf course isn't a very good one so things are low key) they chatted with us about it and basically were totally cool about it and so were the patrons, so in all it was a very fun experience (I'm still waiting for the groupie girls to show up).

Man, when I saw your long post I was scared to death, 'cause I thought you might say "It sucks! Don't get one!" and I've already got one on the way! :) Mine should arrive any day now, so I was relieved to hear you say it's (at least) a decent ride!

BTW, the guy I'm buying mine from (Rob Turman) has been great to work with. The Dirtsurfer I'm buying is brand new, and one of several he bought himself (as a new distributor) just to lend to friends and try to get more people into riding them. He told me if I wasn't happy with it, he'd gladly take it back from me and refund my cash. (But he added he was sure I will be stoked about it---so much so that I'll owe him a steak and a beer! LOL)

Scott

PS - Stay tuned, I'll definitely post a full review when mine arrives!

Originally posted by jason_watkins

lone:

how do you think it'd manage at commuter duty?

Hmm... it takes a tiny bit more kicking to overcome the bigger wheels and larger inertia, but it also rolls really smoothly and keeps its speed up a lot better than a longboard for the same reason (I don't know, but it feels like on flat ground you could roll around 50 feet with a few (less than 5 kicks). A nice thing is that terrain conditions are almost a none issue, where as rough vs smooth pavement noticeable make a difference. Grass definitely "slows" down the Surfer a little bit, but you can go down hills... over small rocks, curbs, basically anything under around 4-6".

Kicking is not super hard although the balance is setup so that you need to keep most of the "board" in front of you (like a very extreme version of mongo riding). Braking is very easy at such a low speed. The dirtsurfer has the handling of a basic BMX bike, so I think it would be fine for suburban commuting (especially if there are little dips in the terrain that the surfer can roll down and back up). I'm not so sure about it in the city... based on my short experiment... I think you have the handling/braking equivalent of riding a bicycle with one hand on the handlebars -fine for mellow cruising, turning and braking you are fine... but not really for tight people/car slaloming with lots of turns and brakes... of course I'm from NYC and now in SF, so my cities might be a little bit more hectic than yours.

This is again my first look opinion based on 1 hour with it yesterday. I plan to go out again with it in a week or two.

Originally posted by mtnpig

Would you guys have some info as to a contact for the L.A. area? Are any of you ever going to consider trying the Kitewing with it?

Try Morgan Milligan <wcdirtsurfer@adelphia.net>

You second question is a little bit of a trick question - but I'll try to answer it as best I can.

After considering it, no I don't plan on trying out a kitewing. I don't know, but I doubt I will "ever" consider trying out a kitewing with it (I mean I don't even have "it" yet).

Got my Dirtsurfer today! I tore open the box and eagerly pulled out the parts---not many, just the two tires (unmounted), and the frame. The whole thing seems very solid and well-built. Assembly was quick and easy. The only somewhat difficult part was adjusting the brakes---but if you've had experience working on bicycle brakes, it's no big deal.

After assembling it and pumping the tires up to the recommended 40psi, I threw it in the truck and drove my daughter to soccer practice. Right across the road from the soccer fields was a 1/4-mile-long newly-paved road for a housing development that's not there yet. The road had a moderate slope (with a level area at the bottom) and one 90-degree turn.

I drove to the top of the road, put on my helmet and pads, and set the Dirtsurfer down on the pavement. I haven't measured the stance width yet, but it felt smaller than my 21" carving board stance width (I'm guessing it's around 18-19".) Also, the design of the deck requires you to stand with low angles (ala softboots). I stood at around R10/F45.

My first timid attempts at pushing forward (rear foot on the deck, pushing with the other foot) were sketchy---the Dirtsurfer's front wheel has around 6-8" of throw, and at really slow speeds (such as when I attempted to kick-start it) the front wheel wobbles from side to side.

This thing is basically a bicycle you stand on. I quickly realized that---like a bike---there is no "half" riding it...you either do or you don't! So I decided to just go for it. I gave it a couple good kicks and placed my front foot on the deck. Though a bit wobbly at first, I was riding it! I immediately tried the brakes. I simply rolled my rear foot onto its outside edge, applying gentle pressure to the brake lever...and slowed down nicely.

Being able to brake was a HUGE confidence-builder! Suddenly, any hesitation I had vanished. I slowed to nearly a stop and just stepped down off the deck. Then I picked it up and walked back up to the top of the hill, ready for a real test ride! (I'd only ridden 20-30 yards on my first attempt.)

My second start was already much smoother than the first. One good push was all I needed, and I was headed down the hill. [by the way, I would NEVER have gone down this same hill on my skateboard!] As advertised, the Dirtsurfer loves speed...and the faster I rolled, the smoother the ride became. I checked my speed now and then with a tap on the brakes, but otherwise just let it roll.

I didn't do any hard carves (wasn't quite ready for that yet), but just gently drifted from one side of the road to the other as I coasted downhill. I found it best (just starting out) to keep my ankles stiff and turn with leans. If I loosened my ankles, the front wheel became a bit less stable and much more sensitive to turns. (I'm sure that will go away in time.)

WOOHOO!!! :D The Dirtsurfer RULES! On literally my third run down the paved road, I was already able to relax and build up my speed to at least 10-12mph. And the great news is that it felt a LOT like carving to me---as Lonerider said, much like gliding through powder. The ride (on asphalt) is smooth as silk. Anytime I needed to slow down, the brakes worked fine. (You just want to shift your weight back a bit as you brake to counter being tipped forward when you slow down.)

A few runs and 30 minutes later, I was already craving a longer hill! (Dirtsurfing shares that with carving!) I should add that kicking and rolling along the flats is definitely harder (at first) than riding downhill...but I have no doubt that with practice, you could easily use the Dirtsurfer as a means of transportation around town or campus, as it retains momentum far better than any skateboard (again, think bicycle).

So how do I like it? I LOVE IT!!! For me, never having ridden a skateboard before (other than messing with my Insect Dragonfly for the past month)...the Dirtsurfer is VASTLY superior to a skateboard. Seriously, for carving down roads, there is NO comparison---a skateboard suddenly seems rickety, unstable, and dangerous compared to the Dirtsurfer! I hate to sound as if I'm thumbing my nose at the long tradition of skateboarding...but I may well be selling my Insect Dragonfly...because I honestly can't see why I'd ever want to ride it after riding the Dirtsurfer!

As a last test (before I had to pick up my daughter from soccer), I put the Dirtsurfer down off-road, on a surface of dirt that had been "textured" by the caterpillar treads of a bulldozer. I had to kick a bit harder to get going, but once I was onboard, the Dirtsurfer was just as easy to ride over grass and dirt as it was on pavement---I was giggling at how cool it was! :)

In conclusion, I'd say---without hesitation---GO BUY A DIRTSURFER TODAY! Seriously, I don't believe there is anything else that comes closer to the "carving feel" without snow. I can't wait to get back out on mine, especially on a hill that's about 5 miles long! :) Of course, that raises another problem...how do I get back up? Having someone in a car to be the "lift" would be really helpful.

I called Holly on my cellphone and exulted after my first successful rides. "You're gonna want one!" I told her. When she comes over tomorrow I'll get her to shoot some video of me riding it, and I'll put it online for you folks to check out!

Scott