Note to New Members ×

OT: Strange Cosmos

tpalka

but you'd never guess that world Grand Prix motorcycle racing has only suffered <b>one death</b> in the 56 year history of the sport.

I'm reminded of the safety precaution they give you at track days: if you fall off your bike and you're still on the track, you're supposed to lay perfectly flat so that oncoming bikes will "only" use you as a speed-bump if they can't avoid you.

:eek:

Those high-sides can be a real killer...no pun intended. I've been down three times, the last was the worst. I was out for a Sunday ride when a 1964 Dodge Power wagon came around a blind left hander halfway in my lane. I threw it into the corner as best as I could, but ended up dragging my exhaust on the right which ended up unweighting the rear tire causing me to lose the bike in a slide. I let go right before I hit the truck, luckily I hit right between the drivers door and rear tire well, bounced under the truck and while he was busy running over what was left of by '88 GSXR 750, I slide almost unscathed beneath the undercarriage. He caught me on the left leg just above the knee with his rear tire and spit me down the road like a spinning top. I star fished and eventually stopped, thinking only "god I hope I didn't scratch my helmet" :D Ended up going to the hospital on that one. They put my bike into a garbage can to haul it home...literally. Oh well, sh*t happens right? There are only two kinds of riders anyhow, those who have been down, and those that are going down,

Ride safe!

Paul