Note to New Members ×

BlueB

We mentioned tennis in another thread - idea for a summer thread! 

Who plays or watches? Your level and tennis background? Prefered gear? Favorite player? Play a set with a forum member, when visiting another city? 

Something I'd really like to avoid here, are the heated fandom discussions, GOAT, etc. Leave that for tennis forums. 

I'll start... 

Tennis was always one of my top 3 favorite things, apart from snow sports and sailing. 

I have played for fun, as a teen, never have had proper coaching, back then. Injured my wrist, had a 20 years break. In my early 40s I have joined a club, to compete on rec level and to get proper coaching. Trained for about 4 or 5 years. Got to high NTRP 4.0 level (club rated), but couldn't quite brake into 4.5. I felt I couldn't progress more in that environment and I wasn't willing to throw more money and way more time on it, so now I just play. I prefer singles, but play doubles more often - just the reality of social tennis, in over 50 age group... 

I have lots of racquets (surprise? 😆), but I mostly play with Prince O3 White, Prince Classic Graphite 100, Head Radical Team 102. I always customize them a bit for weight, SW and balance. Strings: soft poly/poly, or gut/poly. 

I have watched since childhood... List of my heroes, chronologically: Borg, Živojinović, Becker, Seleš, Agassi, Hewitt, Federer, Đoković. It is pretty much the only sport I watch on TV, nowadays. 

I can't wait to recover from the broken wrist/fingers (April snowboarding accident) to be able to play again! 

I don’t play but I love to watch. Always cheering for our Canadians Bianca, Leylah and Felix, grudgingly for Shapo but his behaviour lately is off-putting. Felix put up a hell of a fight with Rafa last week in Roland Garros. 

Bianca starts her grass season on Monday in Berlin, looking forward to seeing how she does. Leylah is out with a stress fracture in her foot and hopefully will recover well enough to put on a decent show at the USO. 

Also been cheering lately for the amazing accomplishments of Iga and Rafa. Hope Murray plays well in Wimbledon. As a future recipient of a metal hip I admire his tenacity and he is always a fun interview. Love to see Ons doing well too, she is a hoot. 

• Like 1

I started playing about 7 or 8 years ago. Sporadically. I just started playing again after a full 2 year absence (I can't remember why I was staying home so much?). I am at best a 3.5 but currently self rated at 3.0 so I am hopeful to play with a 4.0 woman this summer on a mixed 7.0 team. I am still at that place where I am constantly reminding myself to keep my head down when hitting the ball. 

I played 7 innings of baseball this morning (at catcher) and then sped over to a USTA doubles match. I am crazy tired right now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

3 set win over Siniakova.  On to Pliskova on Wednesday!

Bianka is such a force, when healthy! Also, great variety in game. Unfortunately, she's always injured. I think she needs to lose at least 5kg, to be in the "modern" tennis shape. 

Guilty as charged. I think she's in a great shape for an every day girl or general sports. Modern tennis has become an endurance sport and requires very lean physique. Her bone structure might be slightly heavier than an average tennis player, but she still can get more of the "warrior" trim. Compare her to Kerber, who also is not light-boned. 

Edited by BlueB

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up playing then put it away for a long while.  Got back into it about 10 years ago and got a Wilson Steam "spin" racquet.  The spin effect was profound.  Basically just more spacing between strings but it worked.  I could hit a slice serve that would exit the side of the court.  That was fun.  Alas Tennis went dormant again for me a few years later.  I'd like it to come back.

Who remembers Dave Letterman's Anna Kournikova play of the day?  LOL

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jack M said:

I grew up playing then put it away for a long while.  Got back into it about 10 years ago and got a Wilson Steam "spin" racquet.  The spin effect was profound.  Basically just more spacing between strings but it worked.  I could hit a slice serve that would exit the side of the court.  That was fun.  Alas Tennis went dormant again for me a few years later.  I'd like it to come back.

Who remembers Dave Letterman's Anna Kournikova play of the day?  LOL

Probably poly too, with that spin racquet? 

I remember Anna Kournikova everything 😉

• Haha 1