Note to New Members ×

Hot lapping Eagle’s Rest at Jackson Hole.

1xsculler

Yes, it’s a beginner run but twice as steep as the beginner run at Crystal. 

image.jpg

I can linkup pencil lines all day long on this run BUT increase the slope a little which requires controlling my speed and I have an extremely difficult time maintaining the carve…so freakin frustrating. 

@1xscullero How slowly can you ride it and still carve the whole way? 

A game to play to practice tightening your turns on a beginner slope. Find a skier or boarder who is just tail kicking their turns and drifting down in roughly a straight line. Link beautiful carved turns but stay behind them the whole way down.

Riding slowly and staying behind someone both require both turn shape control and speed control.

You will need to learn real speed control on the beginner slope if you want to have speed control on steeper slopes.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 3

+1 with Sunsurfer Tail gunning is a great way to figure out how to control your speed, I have managed to turn my 195 virus into a slalom board by using slower riders as a governor, didn't even have to think about it, just did it

Mario

Edited by big mario
Auto correct madness
  • Like 2

Instead follow other skier/snowboarder: 
i would just use our own track as reference and try to make tighter and tighter turn as drill.

It's about speed control.
We might think we are angulating, bending but there is another gear (or two).
Until we can control speed; we are at the mercy of the slope.
Try carve/bleed off speed until you stalled.  Throw yourself(commit) at toe/heel side and really feel the board whoo-ish(making the sound help) decamber/snap you around.
Then the addiction kick in; finding steeper and steeper.............. so i was told 😃

Do you feel you have a strong side?  toe or heel side?
Stronger side to me meant we can speed control better.
This is what i believed why people overnight preferred one side over the other.
We tend to have one stronger side.  Where we can bleed off speed more on side(either toe or heel) while the other side pick up more speed.
Work on the weaker side will help us move to steeper stuff. 
Of we just keep on riding but not pushing ourself then it's understandable we get stuck at the level where we are at.  If we want to ride steep/narrow/icy - practice on steep/narrow/icy trail.
Purposeful training/practice > keep in our comfort zone.