Note to New Members ×

Anyone familiar with the Prior Khyber?

Miguel

Guest Zach Davis

Miguel,

Get one... they're a total blast. Especially suited for the soft boot style.

Ride it with fresh legs.. the Khyber needs a lot of feedback and activity. It's highly manueverable and wants to jump.

Zach

Originally posted by Miguel

I am looking for a board specifically for riding bumps, trees and generally rough sloppy conditions in soft boots. Easy manueverability at slower speeds is a must. The Khyber looks like it would fit the bill. Opinions/suggestions?

I have a Burton Fish, which is is similar to the Khyber. Like the Khyber it is setback and has a lot of taper in it making it *extremely* manueverable (when you ride it you will will be slashing between trees and bumps with your board doing fish-like caves). If you want slow speed manuevrability, this is the board for you. I got it primarily because my main freeride board (Donek Incline) is noticeably not very manuevable at slow speeds and needed something to balance it out.

Overally I bet the Prior is probably built better, but it's harder to get (unless you want to pay full price). Actually I'm considering selling my Burton Fish 156MD and my Donek Incline 155 now that I've demo'd the Donek Phoenix 155. I really like the Phoenix and rode it through the 18" of fresh snow that fell onto Tahoe this weekend. I find it to have a beautiful combination of the ability to carve like a Donek, but still float well in powder and tear it up in the terrain park. Obviously, some compromises were made, but I found myself not missing the superior manueverability of the Fish or the superior edgehold and stability of the Incline. So if you want to keep you Incline, get the Fish (I can sell you mine with top of the line Burton P1 bindings for half the price of a new Khyber)... or be like me and go for a Phoenix next season!

Thanks for the replies. I have also been looking at the Fish. I'm a little leary of going to a 156...that seems soooo short! My Incline is a 164 and I was thinking of going with a 160 Khyber/Fish. Prior has "like new" demo Khybers for $400 Can. or $320 US. I just bought Salomon SPX7 bindings and F24 boots so all I need is a board. It's reassuring to hear the enthusiasm for these boards. Isn't the Burton hole pattern also an issue with anything but Burton bindings? Again...thanks for the input.

Originally posted by Miguel

Thanks for the replies. I have also been looking at the Fish. I'm a little leary of going to a 156...that seems soooo short! My Incline is a 164 and I was thinking of going with a 160 Khyber/Fish. Prior has "like new" demo Khybers for $400 Can. or $320 US. I just bought Salomon SPX7 bindings and F24 boots so all I need is a board. It's reassuring to hear the enthusiasm for these boards. Isn't the Burton hole pattern also an issue with anything but Burton bindings? Again...thanks for the input.

Oh yea, if you are riding a 164 Incline, the 156MD is too short for you. They suggest getting the Fish/Khyber 3-5cm shorter... so I agree that a 160 would be better for you.

The Burton hole pattern is an issue for a few brands like Flow, Nidecker, and Bomber in particular. However, many of the strap companies now make 3D compatible discs, I'm pretty sure your SPX7 are compatible (check to see if they have 3 pairs of horizonal grooves). My friend has a Burton Dragon and rides it with SPX6s.

I just bought a Khyber but have not yet had the chance to ride it yet. It's much stiffer than I thought it would be - certainly stiffer than the floppy Fish.

I asked for advice a while ago and started this thread which ended up getting some pretty informative links to other people's Khyber and Fish reviews, so check it out if you get a chance.

It's not as radical of a shape as the Fish is - it seems halfway between a Fish and a regular freeride board (both regarding taper and nose/tail size difference), but, again I haven't had a chance to ride it yet..

Don't be afraid of the Burton product for the price. I ride almost the entire burton line and love my Fish and Malolo. The wider nose can be interesting at first in firm bumps but these boards eat up the fresh! while the Fish is way more turney and playfull then the Malolo they are both very nimble.

They Prior I rode felt to "alpine" while it raped the grommers it was not as fun or easy to ride in the soft stuff as the Burton product, which is great on the groomers as well, the malolo more so then the fish.

Next years fish has less taper then this years and does ride a bit different. The malolo stays the same shape, while the fish also gets a new tail shape that offsets the reduction in taper from 4mm to 3 mm the malolo stays at 2mm.

I weigh in at 175 and have ridden the 56hd 56md and 160 fish. all sizes float me just fine and are a blast to ride and turn unlike any pow board out there(this is a good thing!)

I prefer the 56md Fish in the trees and tight chutes. I also ride boards up and above 200cm and have no issues with the 156s size if you are under 180 the 56 is a sick size if you are over and ride a lot of very deep snow then you may need the 60 , it does how ever feel bigger!

My favorite open pow board this year has for sure been the 62 malolo over the 58 it seems just as lose but with a bit more float, and a lot more stablity at speed in all snow then most boards of equal size. It also is great in the trees and bumps but requires less work then any freeride stick of the same length around the whole hill. It does not however proform as well switch in the freash as I hoped, but is much more on piste friendly then Fish but not as hard to ride (requires a lot less imput) then the Prior.

My Malolo 62 went in the shop rotation and everyone that rode it loved it!

It saw over a hundred days this year from over 10 different shop riders and held up great, It also sat right next to a Fish 56 and 2 other big pow boards(over 175) that will remain namless untill I finish my reveiws on them, but even though they were Pow only sticks they sat on the shelf on even the deep pow days while the Malolo went out and played all year round! And still planed to the top on the deep days, and under a tree riders feet felt just like a 160.

Some people wont ride the gear just becuase it a burton product, Some people will never know what they are missing!

Next year prepare for the Burton Vapor!!!! you may not like the fact that burton does not make Alpine gear but they still make some sick freeride stuff!!! the Vapor and T6 are removing wood from the game!!! YEA! progress!

Yeah, after my "research" it seemed like it was clear that the Burton Fish was better in powder/trees... I actually have no problem giving Burton my money if they come out with a really cool product that seems like the most innovative thing they've done in a decade. Believe it or not, the deal-breaker for me on the Fish was, of all things, the 3-hole pattern. It's just so... stubborn, and dumb... imo

Yeah, I kind of wish the Khyber was floppier, but I'll see how it ride the next dump we get.

Guest Zach Davis

Having been on both the Khyber and the Fish, I would still go with the Khyber...

Yes, the Khyber is stiffer, but it also has more camber... true to the philosophy over at Prior. I find the Khyber to be more responsive and reliable in a wider variety of terrain. I prefer a little more camber when I'm running steeps or tight chutes... even in powder.. I find it easier to initiate quick, cut-back turns.. sometimes alleviating the need for a jump turn.

My only complaint, with both of these boards, is that the insert pattern could be even more offset to the rear. Riding in hard-boots, they both require a ton of attention to the rear leg and the position of your butt over the back of the board.

I was thinking about getting a split-Khyber for next season, but since I seem to be sticking with hard-boots, I'll probably go with a split-swallowtail 172'.

Zach

Bordy...thanks for the review! I'm 180-185 lbs and 6'2" tall. I ride mostly in New York State so deep snow is a the exception. As I said my main concern is bumps and trees and slop. Do I dare go to a mid 150's length...and if so, which would be your first choice. BTW...I'n not anti Burton...especially with this type board.

Miguel

I was at a local rental shop and they told me that 4 hole bindings work on the burton newer insert pattern. If this is so, it opens up some options for using your existing bindings w/o purchasing new disks. The only downside I can see is the limited stance adjustment that would allow.

Originally posted by Jon Dahl

I was at a local rental shop and they told me that 4 hole bindings work on the burton newer insert pattern. If this is so, it opens up some options for using your existing bindings w/o purchasing new disks.

4x4 is a 40 mm square. 3D is a 42 mm equilateral triangle. So a strictly 4x4 disk is not compatible with a 3d pattern. Some bidning manufactuers - Catek, Salomon, K2, and Burton themselves come to mind - have designed disk that are "universal". This usually involves half of the 4x4 holes being wider to accomodate both a 42 mm and a 40 mm disntance between screws.

It;'s hard to see in this photo, but the set of holes pointed to by the red lines are actually oval and can acommodate both 4x4 and 3D

discs.jpg

Check your own disks before assuming you can use them w/ 3D. For example, Bomber TD2 4x4 disks are decidedly not 3d compatible.

Sounds to me you for sure want to rock the big guy board. What size and boot are you going to rock? Those 24s are nice and short. It important that every thing to work together for your style of riding. if your feet are larger then a 10.5 you may want to go with the Prior its a bit firmer under foot and may take a little getting used to in the Tight trees, but it will kill it on man made or firm snow conditions. The Malolo would be much more surfey, though not as interesting as the Fish, which may be to deep snow spacific for ya. All these boards are made to float. If you dont think your going to need the float but just want the fun short tail taper the malolo 62 is worth comparing to the Prior, It sound like a great deal on the Prior though! almost to good to pass up. Both boards are fun. you would probably injoy the Prior more though.

Most of the tree riding I do on my fish is steep so the speed helps it float fast and changes the ride alot. But you'll prbably leave it at home more then the Prior.

Have fun with what ever, perhaps some day you can just have them all!

Also I have the 06 Burton dealer catolog on my lap and there is no mention of a change in the 3 hole patern. Perhaps 4 hole disk work with the UNINC (burton Jib Line) 2 hole pattern?

I'm a size 11 US/29 mondo. After reading all the advice I think I'm leaning toward the Khyber. I like the 4 hole pattern and It has to be much better in the bumps and trees than the Incline or any of my carving boards. I must admit...the Fish does sound interesting. It seems to have a very loyal following. Now I have to decide between the 156 and the 160.

Let's see...five business days from Whistler....I'm on spring break next week....there's still snow in Vermont....lots of soft snow......excuse me while I place my order!:D

Miguel

Woo hoo....it's a done deal! Just ordered the 160 Khyber "Howler"! Black background with a cute lil' Howler Dude squatting at the bottom! Should be here early next week. I am seriously stoked...never thought I'd say that about a soft boot board. Bring on the gnar! Thanks to all for the great advice.

Miguel

the anti burton thing

I have had allot of issues with their gear but I also have been treated very well with gear that was out of waranty and with stuff that most companies would not take back.

I had a Canyon 173 that was indestructable, I rode that board for three years, five days a week when I was a liftie and it took a insane amount of abuse and rode great until I sold it.

I replaced the canyon with a Ride Yukon and that was a mistake, the canyon was a much better board.

So yeah I agree, burton does make some great softboot stuff.

What's the deal with the woodless decks?

Guest sierra

Congrats on the Khyber.... I have a Burton Malolo and it is the most fun board I've ever been on. I had no interest in this board until I tried one at a Burton Demo (I bought one on Ebay that very night!). It is so easy - tight trees, bumps, powder, park and it even has decent grip on the groomers (unlike the Fish). The Khyber sounds like a similar deck. My standard day now consists of riding my stiffer boards for the first half of the day then tearing all over the hill like a loon on the Malolo all afternoon.

Good luck with the Khyber - If it is anything like the Malolo, I suspect that you will be amazed at how fun a board like this can be.

Bob,

The T6 curretly uses wood under the toe and hell of the binding platform while the rest is there alumifly core!

Next year they indrudce the Vapor a new core using very little wood and lots of aerospace composite (mostly because of Burtons relationship with Aspen aerogels) the board is a full pound lighter then the T6 but is only offered in a mid size deck. so as a guy that used to ride a canyon your out of luck intill 08 when I think they are going to be offering no or less wood product in mide-wide to wide shapes. I am not very good at scanning pictures in but damn the vapor is dope!!!

I am not a burton guy since the dont make the alpine gear any more. But I still give them more then a few pennys every year cause there soft boot gear is just that good. Plus I cant seem to stop whereing the AK line. It keeps me nice and protected all year long! Go Firm...

Miguel, Have fun with the Prior sounds like a great board for ya. Now you have a reason to come out west....

Some thing like well now That I have this sick Pow board i should go find some sick Pow!!!!! Good Luck, have fun!!

aluminium seems to be the way to go, around 2000 a Sims rep was telling me that aluminum was better for honeycomb for a bunch of reasons but is more expensive and heavier than the kinds(basically cardboard with epoxy) that Palmer and and a couple other companies use.

the thing is that aluminum honeycomb is still lighter than wood.

for my softboot needs wide, light, versitile and durable fits the bill I like to hike every now and again.

I would love to see a giant Fish or malalo say around a 168 to 173, I have pushed a doughboy through the trees so I think I can do it on just about anything other than a giant GS stick, I rode a burner 197 in the fluff a couple times and it was sorta scary.

The last couple of years have been interesting with snowboards, some big companies have come up with some really interesting shapes for their softboot stuff

hopefully it will prompt somebody to try some crazy ideas with alpine shapes and or materials and we will end up with some great boards that ride radically different then what we ride now