Note to New Members ×

Ptex Top Sheet Maintenance?

snowburn

Ptex does not oxidize. Wax however does oxidize. Stomp pad adhesion is dependent on how well you clean the surface, a good scrubbing with 50% isopropyl alcohol should do the trick.

I used to wax my ptex topsheet until I realized I had severe psychological issues. Does not provide any benefit. If it gets funky or dirty you can use a brass brush to clean it out. Nothing else is needed. 

• LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2022 at 7:40 PM, snowburn said:

Hahaha. How about getting scratches out and base grinding the top sheet for a fresh new look. 

A belt sander. Use a very very used belt, 150 or 180 grit. Best to mount the sander in a vice upside down and make light passes. Too easy to mess up. A shop with a belt grinder can do the same for you (not stone grind obivuously). Again, it's just not worth the trouble, just use a brass brush.

On 2/11/2022 at 8:28 PM, daveo said:

It certainly does.

So my recollection is this: since the late 90s all commercially available ptex has polymer stabilizers added that suppress oxidation. Better quality ptex is provided with even more antioxidants, with the addition of other compounds that provide UV protection, repel water or enhance wax retention. Also many base materials are manufactured with processes designed to reduce oxidation. But if I remember correctly, some bases are infused with paraffins and other hydrocarbons that are themselves subject to oxidation, but it is not the base material itself. That's not disqualifying that poor quality ptex is out there suffering from severe oxidation and mechanical degradation, but I doubt it's something that would be met on equipment that uses a ptex topsheet.