Note to New Members ×

Gear update time warp

knightscape

5 hours ago, Odd Job said:

my arches sorta go the other way (sagging flesh?); I have reverse camber feet.

Fwiw. If you want a softer boot; I'd get the 700s. I've ridden them for years with no problems with fit.

OMG yes. If I put a "wide" footbed on the floor and step on it you can't see any part of the footbed, it just disappears. Feet like a beached elephant seal.  The only way I know my arch has increased after switching to flat shoes is by my wet footprint. There's an indentation now!

425/700, I don't know what I want, I've only ever used ski boots, alpine or AT.  

24mp, seriously? I'm amazed you can size down with such wide feet.  I guess it's all about the intuition liner.

Edited by Eastsiiiide
  • Like 1

Well I got out on my Ultra Prime a couple weeks ago and quickly found that my stance was not happy with my new AT boots on the Burton plates, it felt ok carpetboarding in the livingroom but wasn't working on the hill, rear knee was just not in the right place.  Got in a few runs and went back to my skis since I'd forgotten my tools like a chump.  Did some reading on the modern stances with outward rear cant, I've always ridden with my knees tucked fairly close but I think it's time to start changing that.  Seems like teh differnece in surfing stances between drop knee and big wave riding.  Set up some TD3 Sidewinders I bought from OddJob on my Alp and I'll be giving that a go this weekend and I'll have my tools this time for tweaking.  I am definitely on the prowl for some board specific boots now though, I'm pretty sure even when I get the stance right the flex in these boots isn't going to be what I need, my old ski boots were very different with a dialable forward lean and different flex.  I always liked being a 1 boot guy, but I think those days are done.

@knightscape"did some reading on the modern stances with outward rear cant"

I have an interest in stance setup. Where did you read the above? Outward rear cant is likely to place signficant strain on the ligaments that support the sides of your rear knee unless you are riding at very high angles, 65 degrees and upwards.

Modern stances tend to be longer than previously, naturally separating the knees.

Erik Beckmann has written a series of articles on boot and binding setup that many people find helpful.

https://beckmannag.com/hardboot-snowboarding

I've produced a YouTube video that lays out the interrelationship between your physique, stance distance and binding angles, and why you might therefore benefit from binding lift and possibly canting.

https://youtu.be/mBTTJMo6Me4

Hope you get your gear sorted.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jack M said:

@Jack M Thanks Jack, that almost certainly answers my question. And the Tech Articles are a valuable resource.

knee separation we agree on - http://alpinesnowboarder.com/separate-the-knees/

outward cant on the rear binding - http://alpinesnowboarder.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/canting-and-lift.pdf
we have different views and reasons on where it will be useful. Both of us agree if the canting applied makes the rider uncomfortable that's not good.

Looking at a video still of you (Jack) riding at Montucky CC, you have no obvious outward cant on your rear boot in the stance you ride (Johnasmo YouTube Day 2 MCC 2022 @ 12:42).

Edited by SunSurfer

The article offers it as a suggestion, not a commandment. It’s all personal preference. It may not occur to some to try it, so I suggest it. Some people like outward canting on their front foot, or both, or neither. I used to use inward canting on my front foot (TD cant disc at 90°, binding at 58°) and outward on my back foot (cant at 45°, binding at 56°). When I switched to MS boots I had to get rid of the canting altogether. Lately I’ve gone to a slight inward cant on my front foot (cant at 75°, binding at 58°). The MS cuffs must be canted differently out of the box. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I used to use a slight outward cant on my rear foot, one notch on td3 cant disc, when I had UPZ's. When I switched to MS it didn't feel right, so I went back to no cant. Then, this year I was having some lateral suprapatellar pain in my rear knee. I put the outward cant back to relieve the stress at that point. I ride close to 63° front, 57° rear on most of my carving sticks.

The funny thing is each year I seem to find the need to tweak something that doesn't feel quite right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The PDF above is indeed what I was referring to.  I'm still looking forward to playing with dialing in a new stance, it's my boots that are necessitating the change.  This weekend had too many moving parts so I spent sunday on my skis again.  I used to ride at 65° flat front and 60° very slightly inward on rear with max heel height on a Burton uni cant.  The TD3's having the toe lift up front is really interesting to me and I can't wait to actually give it a go.  On the board I'm setting up now it looks like I can dial it back to more like 60° and 55°.  I also have to carefully listen to my knees these days, so it'll be a process for sure.