Note to New Members ×

Protective coating for top sheets?

Galen

Is there a good, easy to apply spray on coating to protect top sheets? I bought my GF's 16 year old a Prior MFR that has a custom graphic and it is VERY easy to scratch (noticed that on my 4X4 and heard this is the case with a lot of priors). It got scratched just sliding it on to a plastic wall rack, though I was able to buff it out. Not a huge deal as he is 16 and may like the "beat" look it will probably get after a dozen days or so. He spends about a third his time in the park.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by alexeyga

:D just use a coat of gravelguard on it and don't forget, once upplied, to dip it in some fine sand... Will become a heavy bastard, but nobody will be able to scratch it!!!

I wouldn't bet on it, you should see the condition of the board he's riding now.:eek:

Any sign company can apply clear vinyl selfadhesive film on your board. Cheeper vinyls are thicker (sturdier) then very expensive ones. But avoid very cheep ones - they crack and shrink in sun and cold. Also avoid Gerber brand, it leaves glue behind when removed.

You can even do it yourself - buy some clear vinyl and a squegee, clean the board compleatly, spray it with mixture of water and dishwashing liquid, apply vinyl (on wet) and squeeze out the water and air working from centre out, let dry for a day, then trim excess vinyl. It will work ok with sidewall construction, but it might be difficult with cap construction board.

Boris

Guest Randy S.

How about that 3M stuff they put on cars? It stays clear and works in the cold, so it should work. And you can peel it off easily even after years outside.

Never tried to add a vinyl topsheet to a snowboard, but have done so in the past with skis. They used to sell plastic stick-on ski top protectors, which did a great job of protecting the actual topsheet. Instead you have this banged up, ratty looking vinyl top that, over time, gets a bit rough looking at the edge of the topsheet.

Probably only worth it if you plan on selling the board before its life is done, otherwise might not be worth the bother.

My 0.02 cents.

Originally posted by mnovak

Probably only worth it if you plan on selling the board before its life is done, otherwise might not be worth the bother.

My 0.02 cents.

After thinking about it some and the various options, I think you're right. Not worth the hassle, I'll let the kid worry about it. Thanks for all the info though!

Yes 3M makes a clear vinyl like coating you can put on your board or anything.

It came on the front of our motorhome and works great. You wont even know its there. You can even wax it to keep the snow off better. I wouldeven put it on the new board so it din't get scratched by the liftline yahoos.

Nick

• 9 months later...

hey mate!,

I put ironfix on my board, it's a light and rock vinil, remove it it's easy,and it's very cheap, you can buy it on the lenght wished,and your board always will be like new, I put it on my board around 3 years ago, and still the ironfix is on them.also ironfix it's total clear and the water do not affect it.

Sito

hey mate!,

I put ironfix on my board, it's a light and rock vinil, remove it it's easy,and it's very cheap, you can buy it on the lenght wished,and your board always will be like new, I put it on my board around 3 years ago, and still the ironfix is on them.also ironfix it's total clear and the water do not affect it.

Sito

Hi, SITO

Some links to this product?

Greets, Hans.