Note to New Members ×

Skateboard carving question...

SWriverstone

I plan to check dedicated skateboarding forums as well, but I wanted the opinion of snow carvers who also carve asphalt...

I'm a newbie to skateboarding, and want to get into carving asphalt. I've noticed something asphalt carvers seem to strive for is squatting down low on the board and dragging their hand along the road.

I understand that a lower CG equals greater stability, etc. What I want to know is, can't you carve a skateboard without doing this? I mean, is this necessary to carve? Or is it just a stylistic thing, done for its "cool points," like EC carving?

Granted, I haven't tried getting low on a skateboard and dragging my hand...and who knows? I might like it! But right now, my interest is in doing deep carves from an angulated, standing position---just like on snow. Is this not possible on a skateboard without squatting? Or bolting plate bindings to the board? :)

Scott

If they're getting low and putting their hand on the road, they're probably trying to slide rather than carve. Or they're just trying to look cool. Most skaters don't approach this stuff with anywhere near the technical fervour that carvers do, although there are some that get techy. Next thing you know Gilmour's gonna jump on this thread and give you a head full of tech.

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill

If they're getting low and putting their hand on the road, they're probably trying to slide rather than carve. Or they're just trying to look cool. Most skaters don't approach this stuff with anywhere near the technical fervour that carvers do, although there are some that get techy. Next thing you know Gilmour's gonna jump on this thread and give you a head full of tech.

I've been riding longboard skateboards for a about a year now and I agree that they are most likely *trying* to break the the board out of a carve and into a slide. Slider almost ll always have a hand down on the pavement as standing slides are very difficult... however if you look at the slalom downhillers or speed boarders, they rarely drop there hands to the pavement (unless they are breaking the board into a slide as well).

So yea, you won't need to drag your hand... I'm riding a Loaded Vanguard which for me a very much like an alpine snowboard... but I have a used Tierney coming on the way so we'll see how that goes. I've ridden a Carveboard... I don't like it is, its too tippy, surfy for me... and you use way too much ankle flexion/extension.

Not to get too techy: When you start looking at different skateboard lengths, imagine a correlation between the different sidecut radii on snowboards. Longer board = bigger sidecut radius.

I started with a 56" Dregs Supertanker, and it rides smooth as silk, can handle speed really well, but doesn't want to turn to quick, so I'd equate it with a super G or downhill board with a 16+m sidecut.

A year or 2 after that, I picked up a Sector 9. It's about 38" long, has a noticable camber that gives it a lot of life, and is just turny enough for the way I like to ride. You'll probably see a lot of boards in the 38" to 41" range that feel like turning a GS board with a 11.5 to 13m sidecut.

The slalom boards that some guys ride are a bit too squirrely for me.

I'm not getting low by any stretch, but I still get a nice carving sensation and have fun. BTW - the softer the wheels, the grippier they get.

Sincerely,

Captain Obvious

I found this link in a post somewhere in the NCDSA site (honestly don't remember where)...it's a fantastic video of a couple guys riding down a seemingly miles-long, windy road, The video was shot (low angle) by one of the riders, who alternately passes, then drops behind the first guy. The video quality is sketchy at times, but it's well worth watching.

For me, this video captures perfectly what I want to do with a longboard! :)

http://academic.evergreen.edu/p/pridav25/sk8movies/

Note: these are pretty big movie files (30MB), Quicktime format. But worth the wait. The one to watch is maryhill.mov

Scott

PS - Just found out this video was taken on Maryhill Loops Road in Washington---wow!!! This has got to be one of THE meccas for downhill skateboarding!

Originally posted by SWriverstone

For me, this video captures perfectly what I want to do with a longboard! :)

http://academic.evergreen.edu/p/pridav25/sk8movies/

I thought you wanted to skateboard for cross-training for snowboarding.

That video didn't have very many turns. I suppose it would be good asphalt training if you were going to do speed snowboarding and wanted to get used to staying in a static position and going for speed.

Well, I do want to cross-train for snowboarding...but I also want to have fun! :)

Actually, what I'd love to see is a video clip showing a happy medium between bombing down long hills...and doing the "high-speed hokey-pokey" that guys do when they just pump along paved paths.

I'd like to get into slalom skateboarding too...but that seems no better for carving cross-training than bombing down hills. In other words, the lightning-fast, ultra-short turns and massive arm pumping I've seen in slalom vids don't even remotely resemble what I do on my carving board.

Anyone know where I can see people doing on skateboards something very close to what we do on our carving boards?

Scott

The problem with bombing along and turning bigger radius is that skateboards are much more forgiving than snowboards, until they aren't. By that I mean, they will hold a line despite your body alignment being out of wack and your inclination and angulation being wrong and all that other stuff - and then they'll let go and you'll go ass over teakettle. Pavement is not as forgiving as snow.

Originally posted by SWriverstone

Well, I do want to cross-train for snowboarding...but I also want to have fun! :)

Actually, what I'd love to see is a video clip showing a happy medium between bombing down long hills...and doing the "high-speed hokey-pokey" that guys do when they just pump along paved paths.

I'd like to get into slalom skateboarding too...but that seems no better for carving cross-training than bombing down hills. In other words, the lightning-fast, ultra-short turns and massive arm pumping I've seen in slalom vids don't even remotely resemble what I do on my carving board.

Anyone know where I can see people doing on skateboards something very close to what we do on our carving boards?

Scott

I was in the same boat as you. I did actually find some videos with hard carving in it... but they are rare. I think it's the natural tendency to be *EXTREME* ... either you are going extremely fast... or turning extremely hard.

HOWEVER, Loaded has a great video with a bunch of medium speed, deep turn carving in it (http://www.loadedboards.com/newsite_v1/images/video/fully_loaded.mov). I got my board before the video came out, but the way they present their longboards (listed as "carving systems") and the video only confirms my purchasing decision. For me my Loaded Vanguard is awesome for a alpine snowboardey feel that's in between speedboarding and slalom.

I'm told that slalom skateboard is good "cross-training" in the true-est sense that you are doing exercises that will improve your sport specific skills while not actually being the sport activity itself. I plan on trying it this summer - but first I got a . Tierney Board board for cheap and I think it is also a good compromise... Mike T says it requires more or a freeride stance though (when I'm on my vanguard, my feet are around 50/45 degrees). I'll let you know once I try it. But I think the Loaded longboards are REALLY good as well (I'm getting the T-board ironically for shallower inclines and parking lot riding... ironic because the T-board is suppose to be dominant in downhill riding).

Scott,

Very cool video and awesome St. Germain song (complete w/ John Lee Hooker sample). Those guys appear to be going real fast, like "bailing=serious injury" fast. Looked like those guys had motorcycle leathers.

I still wanna give it a try, although not on anything even remotely close to that fast.

---

Barry

for the road carve jones I skate a Vision Street Rod 44" pintail on 180 RII Randal trucks with either Road Riders or Kryptos for wheels (the RR's drift better). It's a good board that both cruises well and does the DH thing nicely. The other half of my carve jones is satisfied on halfpipes and especially in pools the muscle use is the same but the form isn't even close to snowboard carving. Ramps and pools will make you abs better though. As for pool/ramp decks I have 5-6 and choose whichever one I'm in the mood to ride, at present I have a Jay Adams Dogtown and a Natural Concepts Beast both on Indy trucks with Spitfire wheels. One of the biggest things about skateboarding is finding a truck/wheel combo that fits your style...for me at speed, nothing beats Randals, wheels are dependent on the road surface. I'm a long time (20year) Indy rider ( I even have the Indy cross tattoo'd on my right wrist) and the only wheels who urathane I like are Spitfire's (it's the closest in my opinion to the old SantaCruz pour, which I love the feel of).

I can't get around the way the DH's carve...they just don't feel right to me. As for Abecs I've found they break loose a bit early and wear a bit fast for me, never ridden the Cherry Bombs I may have to give then a try. Drop throughs are cool I've thought about doing that to my pin, I love the way they seem to hug the road