Note to New Members ×

Afton 20/21

Scott.Creer

I was out yesterday for about an hour. I stayed on 2 the entire time, trying to shake out the cobwebs. I am stuck with just soft boots for now, do to the finger still being a kilbalb till at least mid Jan from the table saw incident. I couldn't get the hard boots buckled with limited hand strength in my left hand. 

Conditions were soft and variable. I was riding like crap, with about a million excuses for why. 

Easy 2, Murder bowl, and 5 were all open. Looked like 4 was running too, but didn't go over there. Guns were blazing everywhere. Wasn't too crowded though, and it was pretty easy to do hot laps with no real line to get on the lift.

Reservations booked for Friday. Their hours right now for mid week at 1-9pm FYI

• 3 weeks later...

The first several days of January have been tip-top, in the Alps. Snow is shockingly good, both in quality and coverage (I think there we just two closed runs, yesterday). No crowds, or at least they're spreading people out, around the resort.

As a season pass holder, reserving dates, etc., couldn't be easier. Four taps on the phone, and Done. A couple of friends had to figure-out their Passes, and the staff was as helpful and pleasant as can be. Say what you want about Vail Corp., but man they have their act together, big time.

From a safety standpoint, it's 99% masks. For better/worse/indifferent, you could count the unmasked on a hand or two. Plenty of space in the lift lines. Outside bars aren't open (at least not on the weekdays), and apparently they're frowning upon Tailgating. We had a BBQ set-up at Chair 7, and maybe got the stink-eye, once.

Hearing all BS at Buck, Welch, and that, I'm plenty happy to give Vail my money.

The boss and I were out for a few hours today. Snow was OK, light was terrible. Bumps and dips all over made it really sporty. They were blowing snow, and they really need to. Rocks and mud showing through in places. We took the most runs in the meadows, which seemed to have the best groom and snow consistency. 

I am liking my new soft boot toy (SG Soul Titan 59). My hand still has a rod in it, so no hard booting yet. Although I am not really missing the hard boots much. Might be putting those up for sale sometime in the future. I had some fun on the Knapton too. 

Saw Tent laying down some turns. 

There really were no lines to speak of anywhere, which is nice. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was there for 2 runs today, before I was stopped for not having a reservation. That was my bad. I just called it, rather than making a res on my phone. My feet were killing me already from being in the hard boots. Which lead me to this decision: 

If anyone local wants my gear (if I don't have to ship it), I will discount it.

1 hour ago, Scott.Creer said:

I was there for 2 runs today, before I was stopped for not having a reservation. That was my bad. I just called it, rather than making a res on my phone. d me to this decision: 

So Afton doesn't go after people without lift tickets? How did you get out of that one?

Sorry to hear about your equipment woes.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Scott.Creer said:

We didn't last long Friday. Conditions were pretty good. My goggles froze up between the layers and I couldn't see at one point. 

i have same problem with goggles icing up. for me, it happens at the top of the lens and then grows larger. what i noticed in the chalet is that every time this happens the ventilation foam at the top of the goggles is slightly damp. first i will  run the goggle lens under the hand drier just to melt the ice.  then i'll wipe down the frame and absorb the moisture trapped in the foam.

that might last about couple more runs before i have to do it again. in meantime i ride the chair without goggles, and then put them back on to head down.

there are days where i have no problems at all. not sure if its due to ambient conditions or improper mask fit.

4 hours ago, bobble said:

proper mask fit.

This is my issue. It was so cold I had to wear my normal cold weather mask (with holes in it) then put another mask over that. This caused all the moisture to go up to the goggles and freeze in there. Same thing as you were describing. I really don't have issues normally. The two layers of mask forcing all the moisture up though was no bueno. Almost need some sort of breathing tube that goes down into the jacket or something. Maybe one of those avalanche lung things. Lol.

1 hour ago, Scott.Creer said:

This is my issue. It was so cold I had to wear my normal cold weather mask (with holes in it) then put another mask over that. This caused all the moisture to go up to the goggles and freeze in there. Same thing as you were describing. I really don't have issues normally. The two layers of mask forcing all the moisture up though was no bueno. Almost need some sort of breathing tube that goes down into the jacket or something. Maybe one of those avalanche lung things. Lol.

i thought about a breathing tube. now i just try to hold my breath. 🤪

Yeah, the vapor needs to go somewhere. Although that is what is spreading covid. I was thinking something like this needs to be created for snowboarding. MIPS helmet with power vent tube, and fresh air intake, complete full face shield, maybe a small heater to preheat the air coming in on those super cold days.

image.png.4bd10ce003c31569d1e327a800f8c486.png

Great day, today at Afton! Ran into Trent, a guy named 'Mike', and most surprisingly, one of the bar keeps (Stacy) from McCormick's in Wayzata. Mike (50-ish) was riding a Burton Asym (regular), with Burton plates. Super, super good dude, for sure. Stacy was ripping on two-sticks. As of course was Trent.

Crowd factor was minimal, decent snow and groom, and you couldn't ask for better weather.

DSC_0357.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

DSC_0370.JPG.0d5990c9986b228a77efa440cbf17d60.JPG

Shockingly good conditions, yesterday (Tuesday Mar 02). You could really put a rail into it. We partied like it was the last day of the season (and weren't the only ones with that idea). Now, with gear washed and stowed, a guy is tempted to give it one last go. For reals this time.

DSC_0375.JPG

• Like 2