Note to New Members ×

Fisher- Backland alternative?

Mr.E

The Backlands are interesting, but the fit wasn't quite what I was looking for. After poking around some it looked like the Fischer Travers series had a similar set up, but seemed a bit more appealing to me. Picked up a set,  and dry fitting into some bindings seems promising. I'll try to get some days on them and share my impressions.

Edited by Mr.E
  • Like 1

I'm curious if the Phantom one will fit. If anyone has a stock Backland, I'd be interested in the width of the link and pin center to center measurement  in the locked position.

I won't get them on snow until next week at the earliest (depending on conditions), but in carper surfing they seem pretty damn flexible fore/ aft and side to side locked. I'd say stiffer than and Alien, but nothing compared to most HB's. I can't imagine the are fun to actually ski in 😏

Edited by Mr.E

Seems a bit more snug in the heal and mid foot, where the Atomics felt pretty much the same width all the way for me. This of course is with no liner molding in either.

The cuff channel is definitely too narrow to fit a BTS without serious mods. I think that's more material than I'd want to remove.

Edited by Mr.E

14 hours ago, Mr.E said:

If anyone has a stock Backland, I'd be interested in the width of the link and pin center to center measurement  in the locked position.

The orange aluminium standard lever on the backland has a centre-to-centre distance of 7cm (distance from the centre of the pivot to the centre of the recess which clips over the bar on the boot.

• Like 1

I did not need springs with the backlands, but I did need their increased forward lean as the standard levers (with that 7cm) was not sufficient for my rear boot. I think the Phantom levers will accommodate a range of lengths there as you can see from the design.

Awesome. Thanks! 

The Fischer has a channel in the back of the cuff that the link would best in during walk mode. I'll investigate more. I suspect it would be fine for softening the boot, but maybe a bit unweildly for splitboarding. I bought these for chunder days, so splitting is a secondary academic concern for me presently.

Took them out today. Ranged from windblown firm to thigh deep. They rode well- even better when I relaxed the cuff strap. Twice I got the rear toggle to open. Once it closed itself, the second time I manually redid it. Not sure the cause of thatbyet, but neither time did it throw me. Despite what some have stated, I wouldn't choose to ride them in walk mode, but it was controllable.

I might replace the liner with something a bit more substantial, and I'll likely add Booster straps. I've always.liked taller cuffs and tongues. These aren't bad height wise, but I think the Booster will make me more comfortable.

Today was on F2 bindings with zero issues. I just mounted some Burton's (Ibex/Carve Company/ Phantom toe bail) and they look good to me.

IMG_20200123_163130.jpg

• Like 1