Note to New Members ×

Vail

Cuban Carving Gooding

I think it was nearly that last season. 

However, they used "demand pricing". Depending on the day of the week, recent snow conditions, holidays, the arrangement of tea leaves in the bottom of your cup, they might discount off that price by some amount (?)

It was weird to walk up and not know how much it would cost you. 

People that bought some version of their "Epic" pass didn't need to worry. If you just want to go there for a day or two they really jamb it to you. They prefer the clientele who don't even think about what a lift ticket costs. 

• Like 1

I always think about how discouraging it must be to see or hear about these prices for someone who wants to "try" skiing or snowboarding.  The impact of the high day rate prices goes straight to the first timer/uninitiated.  Even if they like it the first time out, the very next day they find themselves back at that window.  This to say nothing of demo/rental rates and everything else that goes with.  I think it's short sighted and doesn't bode well for new blood.  There are so many other ways to spend recreational/discretionary dollars.

Admittedly, I'll pay $200 for a day somewhere that my passes don't cover but I am hopelessly addicted.  I will also rationalize that I get the most for my money because I can use the whole mountain, go from first chair to last, carry lunch in my pockets, get tons of vert, etc.  A first timer might decide that $20 or $40 per chair ride is outrageous.  understandably.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 10:33 AM, Keenan said:

That's half the price of my season pass.

Wait, where did you buy a season pass? I need to pull the trigger on something tomorrow, I guess, and haven't figured out what I want yet. Might go 10-pack at Meadows...