Note to New Members ×

Shipping equipment...

Kurt Swanson

...instead of letting the airlines handle it. Just wondering if any of you have done a ski trip where you sent your equipment ahead of you using UPS, FedEx, etc.

I have family in the Denver area so that would be perfect place to have it sent. Would I still be able to use my canvas board bag or would I have to purchase a hard shell case like Sportube? It's getting to be a bigger hassle to fly with boots, boards and a weeks worth of clothing and I'm wondering about alternatives.

You can ship a board for 30$ish each way via UPS, wrap the board-boards tightly, make the package as thin and short as possible, pack boots and bindings in your luggage, unless 250-300 in shipping isn't a problem, then ship a trunk full of boots and bindings as well. 

I have shipped boards ahead before on Whitefish trips, and once in Europe where I had a German eBay seller ship to my hotel. Definitely worth looking into whether you can ship it to your hotel and have them hold it. A Sporttube would give you the greatest peace of mind, but I've had no issues with just burrito wrapping my boards in cardboard, possibly with an extra layer of cardboard on the tip and tail. The post office sums the height+width+length and has a limit on the total - I don't recall ever running into it though, I definitely shipped a 185 cm Undertaker through the post office with no issues. Just remember to bring some duct tape so you can pack up your board again at the end of the trip. 

Also, it's been a while since I shipped / received a lot of boards, but the last time I priced everything out, the post office had the best prices.

I needed a full board bag, 3 boards and bindings, helmet, clothing, tools, wax etc, probably weighing 75lbs, shipped from Park City to Lake Placid, for a race. I was flying standby, and didn’t feel confident that my gear would arrive on time. 

With my airline we get 75% off with Fedex, but someone suggested the company below, who actually not only beat that price, but it STILL went with FedEx! 

Sports Overnight
1235 North Loop West
Suite 308
Houston, Tx 77008

www.SportsOvernight.com

They collected it from my door, and the  bag arrived at the hotel before I did! 

After the race, they collected it from the hotel and delivered it back to my door. Fantastic service, highly recommended 👍🏾

Edited by Emdee406
Omission