Note to New Members ×

burton plates

paappraiser

I'm easily 40 pounds your senior pappa. I've had a few minor probs with raceplates but they can take a serious thrashing and not give out. I think I've been running the same 2 pair for over 7 years now. No cants, just flat and nice and flexible. No worries with raceplates but Bombers are really what you should all buy...TODAY!:D

Unless your a beginner --burton race plates are wayyyy to weak---the bails are garbage(theres a reason burton got outta the carving game)--i weigh 185 and broke several bails and decided a broken leg wasnt worth it riding those so bought cateks instead:D:

Originally posted by paappraiser

......we need a offical vote on burton plates.

;)

Matt

So get the poll goin! ;)

Although I have TD's now, I have ridden 3D Race Plates since their inception with no failures while riding, and I am 6'3", 250, with size 13 feet, and I consider myself an advanced carver. I had one of the plastic toe closures break on me, but that whas when I was putting them on, not riding, they were brand new, the fist day out, so I think it just happened to be a defective one.

I never broke one or saw one break, and I have (2) 7+year old carrier setups. (And I 'm a 230 lb raging slob)

I figure the guys who break them are adjusting them wrong (too friggin tight so they snap under load). With these suckers it's actually normal for your boot soles to wiggle up and down a quite a bit when "properly" adjusted.

(that's why they feel like total loose crap compared to cateks/bombers.)

Get real, though. Burton Carriers are great for freeride/powder/trees with unlocked boots.

AND should cost no more than 25 bucks or probably $50 Canadian bacon.

ds

I am 6'4 240lbs and have had no issues yet, I only have about 30 or 40 days on them though. If you look at the reviews on the bindings most people that have bad feedback on them have tons of days on them, of course they will wear out.

I am not an advocate of them though, I am a bit leary of using them now after reading all the bad stuff. I think it is just in my head though. They are now my 3rd string bindings after Rossignol and Snowpro.

Guest Todd Stewart

I used mine for 5 years until i blew off the heel plate. I'm 5'10 150lbs but ride pretty aggressive. Anyways i would recommend them, if i can get some replacement parts I'm going to sell my cateks and switch back to burtons.

Originally posted by sheffy

Hot dogs ya thats what us canucks eat 24-7---but what we really like to do is shoot foreign animals(what is that on your head willywhit;) )

Good one sheffy;) It's a Beefallo, the bison is mated with cattle to produce a tasty meat called "Beefallo".

Low in cholesterol and a healthy food source for man. I killed it with my bare hands while on vacation in Colorado.:o I don't know how you're breaking bails on the Burtons. I've beat the snot out of mine and only a broken toe latch. Dano and I are really big guys and put a sick amout of torque on the Raceplates. Nothing like the beef of Bombers or Cateks but they're not super stiff either. Great freeride binding but I believe Klug is running stock raceplates if that puts it in perspective for ya,eh? Have a donut and a Brador for me,brah.

I used 2 pairs of Burton plates for 4 years, never had any problem with them. used 2 pairs of Burton physics (on 2 boards) for 1 year, again no problems. Currently my gf rides Burton plates, nada zero problemo again.

I ride Cateks now since I didn't wanna try my luck after all the bad reviews.

It's funny, in the 7 years that I rode the burtons, I was constantly breaking them. I went through two heel plates, two baseplates (one metal and one plastic) and countless toe and heel bailes. I am 210 and used them while racing and in boardercross. I had to switch to TD's last season and not only did my riding improve, but no more breaking. I now ride Cateks and love them.

Good luck to those still riding these bindings though, hope you luck is better than mine.

-Gord

I'm 225lbs, or about 350lbs with all the stuff in my jacket. I still ride a pair of race plates and step-in race plates occaisionally, but have no faith in the plastic disks. I also notice a lot of wiggle compared to "real" bindings. One broken plastic toe lever in about 10 years.

MT

I weigh 133 lb and had 2 pairs of Burton Step-In Race Plates. One set was on a Burton SuperModel then moved itto a Donek Incline 160 and the other set was on a Burton Alp 157.

I rode those bindings for about 5 seasons at 10 days per season with no problems.

Then last year I got an Oxygen Proton 164. Within 3 days of riding the Oxygen, I broke the rear bail on my rear binding. I don't know for sure if it was just time or if it was because I could ride the Oxygen more aggressively. But I would guess it was the more aggressive riding that caused the break.

Because of that bail failure, I sold the remaing good set on EBay and bought standard TD2's. I do wish that I had kept the good set of the Burton plates for the O-Sin 4807 I got this season.

broke a few pairs

I am convinced that most problems are from hard landings and crashes.

Bails break on all bindings, not just Burton gear.

the center disks crack sometimes.

I had a pair of physics explode on me where both bindings shatered it was warm, soft and I had just gotten some air landed in the back seat I rode about 500 or so feet and started a turn, in the middle of the turn I heard a loud crack.

I am laying in the snow and my board is in the woods, as pick up my board I realize that there are no bindings on it just disks, I look down they are still on my feet.

Two of the biggest members of the U.S. Snowboard Team ride on them. These guys are far from novices and are both over 200 lbs. If you ever get to a World Cup you'd be amazed at how many of the men ride them, and most of the womens field is on them. Personally I think there are better options out there than the race plates for bigger riders, but everyone has a different opinion.

Most of the "pros" out there have the same resources to get gear from Burton than you do.f There was a thread not too long ago that talked about why some racers prefer different bindings than most freecarvers. Do a search it wasn't too long ago.

Bob, I'm willing to place money that the physics you broke were the clear blue plastic base plate year. This year was really bad I know many of people, myself included that had similar experiences.

To the people who question the plastic disc on the race plates.... I've yet to see one break (the ones for the race bindings, not the disc that comes with the freestyle bindings). I've seen more problems when people put the metal disc in. The metal is too stiff for the plastic around it and the baseplates crack more often.

I ride Burton race plates also. Never broke any, except that time I launched a cliff and ate it. Last year, at the Grand Prix PGS at Bachelor, I asked a few racers why they don't ride TDs. Most answers were they were too stiff. and with the stiffest boots ever they like the slight flex of the Burtons. Plus the cost was an issue for the TDs. I recall most all had toe clips, not many step-ins.