Note to New Members ×

Heated boot bags and boot punches

jburk

I read that leaving boots that have been punched near heat sources such as hotel room heaters can cause the punch to relax a bit and undo some or all of the change to the shell. 

Has anyone experienced this with heated boot bags?  I have a fair bit of work invested in my UPZ RC10 shells, would hate to have to get it re-done if/when I ever begin to use one.  

If in doubt, don't. Con someone else into trying it first, especially if you like the way your modified boots fit.

Heat guns are used for accuracy. Infra-red spot heaters can also be used for larger areas.

Plastic has memory, and it doesn't take much heat to jog it, and it's indifferent as to the source. 'Springback' will depend on the type of plastic, how thick it is, and the extent of the modification.

Pebax, is a trip to Vegas with an open bar.

High quality PU has a 'mind palace'.

I've punched the same client's boots many times over, simply because they stored them over the electric registers in the locker room, probably set around 75F.

5 minutes ago, Beckmann AG said:

If in doubt, don't. Con someone else into trying it first, especially if you like the way your modified boots fit.

Sounds like good advice. If I ever do switch over from Intuition to Zipfits, I’ll just go the “throw them in the shell and mold them as you ride” route.  Here in the PNW, it’s usually above 20F, and my feet run warm anyways (at least in the Intuitions), so it should do the trick.

Never used heat to dry my boots and i'm not young. A computer fan and a tube of plastic ( made from poly plastic )  directed into the toes of the boot has always done the trick for me. Left over night the boots are bone dry by morning. Mini computer fan tube of plastic and ac adapter take up next to no room when traveling.

• Like 1