Note to New Members ×

OT: I had a car crash today

Derf

It's not my habit to start OT threads, but I just had a car accident and I am really frustrated. :mad:

It happened just after I left work today. I was at a red light right beside a van, on it's right. At this light, we can only turn right. I know they make wide turns but I said to myself: "I'll take off before the van goes and be on my way." Boy was I wrong. On a sidenote, here in Montreal, turning right on a red light is illegal. But the guy in the van started his turn on the red and squeezed me in between the sidewalk. My window broke, my windshield cracked, the pillar bent and it scared the **** out of me. Then the truck driver honked because he noticed that something was jamming his van, I put the car in reverse and hopped on the sidewalk, got out of the car and the stupid truck driver drove away. Basically, he did a hit and run. I was not able to get his license or transport company.

Before I get flamed because I was in the truck driver's blind spot: I knew I was there and that's why I was intending to go before he did, but he burned the red light AND did a hit and run. My fault once for not being defensive and being in his blindspot, but double, no triple his fault for not checking his blindspot, going on a red light and knowingly doing a hit and run.

After I got to a gas station to make a phone call and inspect the car: front and rear fender dented, door majorly dented, won't close properly, windshield pillar bent, no more window on the driver side and 1/4 of my windshield is cracked. Worst part, I did not take collision insurance because my car is too old (1992 Mazda 323), but it runs well. And a new car is not in my budget right now. So I'll see what happens. For now, I drive with a plastic window. So no snowboard for me in the next couple of weeks.

Life sucks... for now. Make me even more eager to get back on my bike, bicyle that is.

Thanks for listening to my rant

By saying van, do you mean Tractor Trailer? I know my ex from Quebec called them Vans.

I would put an article in the classifieds and find out if anyone saw the incident and could shed some light. At least that way you can get your car fixed.

Good to hear you arent hurt.

Maybe you could start a paypal fund to pay for your lift tickets:D

If it's his blindspot, he can't check it. That's why it's called a blindspot.

If the frame around the windshield has anything more than cosmetic damage, the car is totaled. It is no longer safe in a rollover.

If you were both stopped at the light and both legally in a lane, then it does sound like it's his fault. That really sucks. As your doctor, I prescribe two weeks off from work while you carve fresh cord.

Sorry to hear about your accident, I've found myself in that same frustrating situation more than once.

Baka Dasai- IceBike.org is AWESOM! A couple years ago I was constantly injuring myself while I was commuting in the snow on my bike. Well, I found Ice bike.org and made some studded tires and now I love riding in the winter.

To answer all you questions:

-Yes, it was in fact a tractor trailer and yes, we call them vans up here.

-The only persons to see the accident were the truck river and another car, but both ran away. It happened in the industrial sector where I work after rush hour, so very few people there.

-It's hard to go do some therapeutic riding with no car.

-The frame around the windshield is bent a little, that is what scares me... Although it is not a rollover prone car. I worry that because of this the car is not reparable.

-We both were stopped in separate lanes at a red light and the guy started rolling WAY before the light turned green.

-For the blind spot, don't they have convex mirrors for that?

-I thought about taking my winter bike (which I left at my father's house for space reasons), but I want to know what can be done for my car beforehand.

So off the the garage today.

Originally posted by Derf

-The only persons to see the accident were the truck river and another car, but both ran away.

This all royally sucks and I feel bad for you. But the above statement surprises me. After all the USA bashing here I had the impression that all Canadians were saints.

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

This all royally sucks and I feel bad for you. But the above statement surprises me. After all the USA bashing here I had the impression that all Canadians were saints.

Maybe the truckdriver was American;)

Seriously though, I am lucky to live in Quebec because the public insurrance may cover me as my gf found out (she is the best) up to 10000$ with a 500$ deductible. I went to the garage and the first visual evaluation is around 1600$CDN. That's about the price of the car on the market, but it is a well maintained car that I got from my father, so I know everything that was done to it and you don't have that with other secondhand car, that's why it may be worth it to have it fixed.

I'll keep you posted on the development of the situation.

Even if truck drivers have a class 1 permit (cars are class 5, emergency vehicule class 4, each one being a requisit to the other), it does not mean they are the best drivers out there, Never take anything for granted, that is my new moto.

Guest giorgio32123

The fact that a driver did not see something does not make him not guilty of accident (regardless if anything was in blind spot or not - that's not an excuse). Crossed the line making maneuver without making sure it is safe to do it - his/her fault. That would say any reasonable cop and judge in a court.

I remember when my wife had such accident and lady hit her by backing off her car on parking lot while checking only in back mirror instead of looking over shoulder. She made funny remark to police officer: "it is not my fault because I did not see her". Yes, right and when I want to play stupid I just close my eyes. I made sure she lost the case.

Originally posted by giorgio32123

"it is not my fault because I did not see her"

You're right - that's not an excuse, it's an admission of guilt. I feel kinda strongly about that line, because it's what car drivers often say after they crash into a person on a bicycle - and I ride my bicycle every day for basic transport.

Check your policy and maybe they'll cover it.

I'm not an insurance agent, but my wife backed into somebody at the post office and it was her fault, but the dude bailed when she said she wanted to call the cops to file a report. Apparently when the other party "hit and runs" it's their fault no matter what. AAA let us use our uninsured motorist portion of our policy(which in a lot of policies is included with liability) to file a claim. The deductible was $250 for us which was the standard. Another nice thing about this was that uninsured motirist claims don't affect your driving record. That was worth $250 to me, and she got a new bumper out of it.

Its worth your time checking into it either way. Make sure your story leaves no room to lay blame on yourself, and hopefully you have a police report to back it up...

Good luck!

JPW

• 1 month later...

I promised I would keep you updated one the situation. Summer is a nice time for OT threads.

A week or two ago, I received a check from the provincial auto insurrance of a little more than 1000$CDN, so I will be able to repair my car. The next step is to negotiate the price of the reparations with the repair shop.

Originally posted by Tommy D

As much as car accidents and breakdowns are "teh suck," I like to use them as excuses for 'upgrades'! :D

Got boost? :cool:

I thought about it. The car itself is too cheap to upgrade. I also thought about getting something else, but my car still has 8 new tires, a new muffler, a good running engine, several other things that were replaced and it has low mileage. And since I got if from my father, I know its history. If I were to get another used car, everything would go to waste unless I get another similar car, but then I would not know it's history and such. Getting a new car is not an option because even if I have the money now, it was not in my financial predictions. So i'll fix this one, it will run like new and I will keep it another 2-3 years.

• 3 months later...

Summer is slow, let's reopen an old thread.

I finally got a new car about 2 weeks ago. It's used, but it's new to me. It's a 2000 Mazda Protegé. It's an "upgrade" from my previous car at least. First thing I did was put some decent summer tires. I got some Nankang EX500. I don't know the brand, but from what I read on the web, these are decent performance tires for the price. When Winter comes, I'll get some good snow tires. I was thinking Pirelli Winter Carving maybe, we'll se when we get there. For now, here are some pics:

Old car (after the accident): http://derf.dyndns.org/~derf/gallery/mazda_323_1992

New car: http://derf.dyndns.org/~derf/gallery/mazda_protege_2000

Not as nice as dr. sandman 350Z, but it's fast enough for me, gets me where I want and doesn't cost much (to buy and to fill up).