Note to New Members ×

suspension pad question

neanderthal

Hello all

A few years ago I got a couple of yellow bomber suspension pads which I added under my TD3 setups and noticed an immediate and significant improvement in my ride prompting me to change from blue to yellow  E-rings. 

Now I really like yellow E-rings with these yellow pads underneath.  Weighing about  200lb  plus/minus about 20lb year to year  I thought that such a soft setup would just compress under my weight and provide no effective cushion after my weight preloaded the system, however,   once mounted  the system doesn't compress much and gives a  better ride while allowing me to carve just as hard.  I even have one board set up with the TD2 center disk, TD3 E-ring and a suspension pad just to test if there will be better board motion/isolation (This gave me a bit of heartburn at first and I check the screw tension often and there is no more loosening than on other binding setups) 

My understanding is that suspension pads were a step between the TD2 and TD3 bindings and E-rings and have been discontinued once the thickness increased with the TD3? 

Does anyone know of an easy substitute for these pads?  What durometer were they and can I make some more by cutting an off the shelf product? 

I have not yet ridden any plate systems.  Cost, weight, ease and the idea of them clogging up with snow when not on corduroy have kept me from trying these systems.  Is it time to go to a gecko or can I get the similar ride minus weight and cost with thicker pads?

A plate system is for less than ideal riding conditions ie; racing, ice bad or bumpy groom. I consider gecko  more in the bling column but if you ever have the chance to try a plate it is more of a suspension device than a gecko . F2 bindings might be the answer if your looking for a more flexable interface.