Note to New Members ×

Madd original vs. reissue

MarkJeangerard

2 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Opposite, they were 18 cm waisted boards built for carving short turns in hard, icy east coast conditions.

Thank you for that, Neil.  Can the MK be ordered in a longer length and a little wider, i.e. 165ish, 20ish and would that be advisable?

Edited by 1xsculler

@jim_s Ha ha! Yep. 2006 or 2007 Madd 170 F2 reissue (as identified by Jack) over the 2018 Donek Custom (MK) 172. No trickery. Not the ground. Did the same thing in the kitchen, just with less light. 

@1xsculler You can call Sean and ask. Mine is 18cm waist down from the 19cm that workshop7's board has. But you could also wait for a little while. 

18 minutes ago, MarkJeangerard said:

@jim_s Ha ha! Yep. 2006 or 2007 Madd 170 F2 reissue (as identified by Jack) over the 2018 Donek Custom (MK) 172. No trickery. Not the ground. Did the same thing in the kitchen, just with less light. 

Man! That is a LOT of camber!! :-)

• 3 years later...

Old thread but I thought I'd kick in - I'd ridden the original Madd 158 for maybe two runs back in the noughts, and the 180 likewise, but until last year never owned one or ridden one consistently or had a chance to tweak one for stance and suchlike. Picked up a reissue here last year but didn't ever have a chance to ride it until last wee,k but I've been out on it every day since, and I have to say it's totally a treat to ride. Just on the small local hill, in mixed conditions - ice for a few days, then slop, then refreeze today - but it's fun in all of them. It's got some camber left and has some pop out of the turn, but mostly it's just so versatile - really loves linking quick turns at speed - more than any other board I've been on except maybe a custom Coiler Bruce built me back in '02, really fun stretching the turn out to big arcs, although it gets a little cranky if I try to stretch it too far, surprisingly smooth blasting through crud, and as expected it excels on ice.

This. by the way, is the blueish topsheet, red sidewall "sucks" version, so I'm trying to imagine what the good ones feel like - more pop, probably, but at my age the more docile response is probably good. I have it set up at 51cm, 60/57, with toe/heel lift and a small amount of inward cant. Size 27.5 425 Pros.  Front binding is just aft of center and back foot is well aft to get that stance width. I'm 215lb and for a 66 year old pretty aggressive but it's not wimping out on me except at highest speeds, and not badly even then . This won't be my main ride on bigger mountains - that's a Proteus 180 - but for small hills and/or crowded days, it'll be tough to beat.

• Like 1