Note to New Members ×

Delaminating Fix

Chubz

Folks

My Volant Aggression 172 GS began delaminating 2 riding days ago and today, it took a turn for the worst. The steel cap is lifting significantly on the left side between my bindings. I went to the local shop for some input and they said they would call Volant. They wanted to take the board, but it is my only alpine board as I sold the other 2 alpines I had, so I didnt want to fork it over. Does anyone have a method to help minimize the continued delamination until I can get it looked at. I have heard epoxy, but is there any particular type?

Looking for answers because Okemo is coming up. I would even consider purchase of another board if someone has areasonable one out there.

Thanks

Greg

Guest dragon fly jones

Yep - that thing has seen it's last days, however there is probably some kind of super secret alien polymer binding agent that could work. Then again, monkeys could fly out of Jack's butt.

Sorry man. Hang that sucker up and cherish the memories.

if you are going to keep the board, I am not sure how they are bonded together, but I am sure if you screw the top cap to the core after putting some epoxy or some other sticky stuff in there you might get another season on it. This might be something to try if no one else can fix it.

Thanks fleaman for not giving up hope. I dont have a quiver of arrows that I can just hang the board on the wall. seeing how it is my only current alpine board, it is heading the the lab in the garage and this hill billy will figure something out,even if it takes about 8 wood screws straight thru the deck and throwing down some -p-tex after cutting them off. to only get 20 some days on it and delam sux, but I'll "get er done". Looks like another storm heading to PA.

PS Flea I am on about vodka and dew #10 so I'm about 10 more from puking.

Long live the queen

and see a doctor and get rid of it

Guest rick ferguson

I have started doing repair on a "cracked" doneck fc 179. The repair is coming out just fine. Most kooks like d-sub will give you poor advice, what's his history on repair, none! As a surfboard shaper , I am also very much into many forms of lay-up's. The donek has been ground down and lay'd up with directional cloth and y2000 resin, re-sanded and a 4oz. carbon nose patch is being applyied over the entire nose piece. A deluxe resin pinline is to outline the carbon. The carbon is lay'd up in a vacum bag set-up with vinylester resin to allow for flex. Perfect , no , saved yes. E-mail me if you wantmore info on a possible fix. Most shop's would'nt go this far or even have the knowledge. D-suck, stick to what you know, which is very little. Protective plastic coating, duh!!!:)

thats gonna be tough to get anything to bond to it

back when I was working in a shop allot of volant skis did that and techs would not touch them because none of the epoxies we had would bond well with the topsheet and they would blow apart again

Volant had a alot of problems with the steel caps on board in particular

maybe Rick can figure out something for you as that is his thing dealing with that stuff

the first thing I would do is call volant and see if they will get you a new one or at least a board you can sell and get some cash for.

some companies are cool like that, others are not.

Originally posted by bobdea

did he even give any advice?

no need to troll.

Rick's been following him around every thread and posting some inane response. I have no idea why he's made it his personal mission to harass D-Sub but it's really pissing me off and I don't know either of them personally. Maybe Rick can hang out at www.derangedstalkers.com or something.

Greg just be aware of this, once you take to fixxing it yourself, Volant will certainly no longer stand behind their product. So if you think you want Volant to fix it or replace it, don't f' with it. You may want to at least check with Volant on their warranty policy regarding 2nd owner of their product. As pretty as that board is I'd certainly like to see you at Okemo riding a different stick. Time to start the quiver. See you soon. Good luck.

and the want you to drop cash on new gear

call volant

I have had shops tell me that company so and so will not warranty something

so I call the company, with a little effort on my behalf I have gotten stuff that the shop employees have told me was a wet dream

I know I have been told to say no to people before when I knew full well things would be covered

one scam the shop I worked at was to sell people new straps for their bindings and put them on then we would keep the old straps and send them back and get the freebies to sell

real commitment to the customer right there

Guest rick ferguson

Hey neil, way back when I made a few comments about d-sub, who posted on anything and everything, He e-mail'd direct with some real foul ****! I can back up my post's. I don't post that often, but when I do , I think I'm right on. For a GUY TO HAVE OVER 1600 POST IN 1 YEAR AND POST WITHOUT GIVING THAT MUCH VALUABLE INFO? Is it not possible to just sit back and read, listen , learn and just post on occassion? If posting after EVERY POST of d-sub is bad, why is ok for him to post over 5 a day , every day? If you saw the other side of this guy, via direct mail, you would see who the real hot head is. I've recieved several mails from people with a stead count, thanking me for calling out d-sub. I don't feel I have to hold back or censor my views. He deleted the post's on his coiler thread , but if you saw it, he went 0-60 so quick. He could'nt hold a conversation and resorted to foul talking posts. How about you set up one of those polls/graph's , were people can vote in secret whether or not they would like to hear more or less or the same of d-sub. I'll honor the results . I have no beef with you, you have given some great info over the coarse of the last year. Keyboard cowboy's just need to mellow out from time to time. Not disappear, just mellow out.:)

Greg, I agree with Bob, tell the shop you want Volant's 800 number, or get it on line, and call them yourself. I know they took care of me when I had a pair of FX-2's that had a Cap delamination. At the time their policy was to send in the sticks for their engineers to make a judgement on, if they determined it was a manufacturing issue they made good on it. I got a brand new set of sticks from them. But that was when Bucky and Hank were running it and still 'Made in the USA', God knows what policy is now? But CALL and find out before doing anything, I figured Nestors wouldn't be of any help!

jp