Note to New Members ×

Help a soft booter

ChrisN

Just had a few questions.  I have never rode a hard boot board. In fact I wasn't even sure if anyone rode these outside of competition anymore. I live in the western US in Utah. I was riding today and saw a hard booter. I was really excited to see it. As I have gotten older I have started riding with a more forward stance with my soft boots just cause I have liked to carve,  and not leave the ground anymore. Had a friend tell me the other day he couldnt follow my line cause it was to deep and he ate shit in the line.  He asked me how I rode like that and I just told him I ride on my edges I don't slide on them like most do. I had a guy tuning my board ask why I rode with my back foot in a forward stance. He told me i would be better if I didn't ride like that. What I'm trying to get at is I live where in general no one seems to have a lot of knowledge about the way you guys ride.  I'm looking for anyone on here that might know of some local places I could check out some alpine boards and learn more. (Utah)  I have also wondered what binding angles you usually ride with hard boots, and how much of a forward angle I could ride with soft boots?  Thanks for any help!

• Like 1

Welcome! 

Hard boots can be ridden at any angle, providing you have right boot/ binding setup and board width for desired angles. 

Softies can be ridden up to the angle where you still have effective support of the highbacks. Typically up to about 35 on front foot, for 2 strap bindings. Some people ride higher with the third strap on the highbacks. 

Binding angles are related to your board width - as you get higher on edge you run into the issue of toe/heel drag. You can either get a wider board or increase you angles until you get clearance. Riding the lowest angles possible while still having that clearance works for me. Like @BlueB said, if you are up around 35 deg and still booting out, it's time think about a wider board or hard boots. 
This https://www.donek.com/width-calculator/ will give you some idea of boot size/binding angle/board width.

Edited by Lurch
Added Donek calc - thanks Sean!
  • Like 1

So, my softboot setup vary widely, dependent upon the board, and mission of the day. But, I do have two 'preferred' stance settings for freeride/carving. They are different due to board size in width. So, my wider rides (all of which are wider than 26.5CM at the waist) run a stance width of 21-1/2", a slight bias in footprint that puts the front heel a bit (usually a 1/4") closer to the edge, where the front foot is then set so that my toes just barely overhang the toeside edge. The front angle is 24*, and the rear 12* (positive; I only run Duck when riding Park/Pipe or coaching a reg-footer whose a visual learner). I use different forward lean angles, as well, with the front being some 5*-7* more upright. This lets my hip drop deeper into the turn, with a positive edge recovery late in a heelside turn. My Highbacks are also rotated within the heel-hoop, such that up front, the forward hinge is closer to board's centerline, and the aft hinge is pushed closer to the heel edge. At the rear, the same idea, reversed, applies, but with a less drastic differential in skew. 

On 'narrower' boards, ones with a waist width of 26CM down to 23CM, I run a slightly narrower stance of 20-3/4", and push the angles up to 36* Front, 21* Rear . I used to run a Volkl 'Cross' lift system, but it disappeared with my '06 Reto a few years back, and I have quit using a Palmer Lift kit with the inserts of a Sappa getting 'bent' in the board, obviously due to the binding sliding fore-aft in combination of the extra lever-arm of the longer bolts needed. I don't see That being an issue with something like the Geckho lift system (or Volkl's).

I love Nidecker bindings, and have one pair left, with the LDS riser built-in. Their Carbon 900 was a Beast of a binding, only lacking in not having a 'power-wing' highback option. I run T-9's from a few years back, and my 'shred til death' Element's have the wrap-around 'power wing' highbacks, which make a big difference in heelside turns. So, a stiffer binding (such as Ride's El-Hefe) contributes greatly to your level of control, especially on hardpacked snow.

• Like 1