Note to New Members ×

Welch

bobble

On 11/29/2019 at 3:01 PM, bobble said:

sorry for late response. we met a guy on the chair that went to welch and only two runs were open.

Yeah, my better sense told me to stay away. That place can be a sh!tshow, even when everything is open. Speaking of which... man they don't make it easy to find the lift/run status.

1 hour ago, MNSurfer said:

Yeah, my better sense told me to stay away. That place can be a sh!tshow, even when everything is open. Speaking of which... man they don't make it easy to find the lift/run status.

I usually don't make it out to welch till after Christmas. by that time there's snow on ground and the lifties from Pro Staff Temps are wearing proper cold weather attire and understand the intricacies of how to bump chairs.

• 1 month later...

1/12/20

conditions were sub par.

I started out on Lookout. I was on there for awhile. first couple runs were okay. the snow started breaking up into marbles at the first pitch. the last pitch was better.

met up with randy and patti (both on skis). I tried dan's, duds, etc. unable to carve. loose snow. marbles here and there. I ended up switching to skis.

from the chair, we could see skiers/snowboarders hitting the ice on duds.

jon jon had snow mounds and was closed off. some runs looked a little narrower than normal. 

Erik's Bikes

this woman on a snowboard rode with me up the chair. she had a power board, black with a gray nose. she asked about my Donek and commented how the conditions were great. I said "mmmmhh… not really... this is the wrong board... thinking about switching to skis". I later said the snow was better at Buck.

she said she was planning on going to Buck in the evening. I asked "oh, do you have a season pass there?"

"no, I have an industry pass"

I thought it was strange because both randy and patti were there with industry passes. thought maybe there was a Pierce connection.

"really? where do you work?".

"i'm a business developer at Erik's Bikes" she replied.

"hey!!! I've got an idea for you to develop! start carrying alpine snowboards!"

"... uhhh… they look fun... but you're like the only person here I've seen on one" 

crap. I didn't know what to say other then they're a blast to ride. later I thought if I saw her again that I would mention Donek and Knapton videos.

• LOL 1

• 1 month later...

2/23/20

day started out when I waited 10 minutes to get my ticket. when they tried scanning my ticket that I purchased over the summer the woman said she couldn't scan it and directed me to the season pass lane. so I had to wait another 5 minutes. for some reason my ticket came up as already used. they found my name in the system and re-issued a new one.

they started the new lift. got first chair. snow was decent but JC did it fill up with skiers!!!

about third chair this skier pulled into the lift line and inserted himself between me and another woman. he was kind of an ass. he was talking to the woman and asked which way she was turning. she said left. he then asked me which way "because I need to know". I said i'd go right (heel-side). we get to the top and the guy turned right and clipped me. I lost my balance. hit the bony prominence of my hip. immediate pain but then subsided. i kept riding

we saw a guy on a Donek board but on softies. he laid out a nice toe-side on Lookout. no doubt, knapton model.

the snow broke up on Lookout. same with Dan's. top of Bakkee was marble madness. tried an easy green. way too crowded.

i tried a couple carves up the wall on Dud's. the mogul field makes it bit challenging to drop-in.  the last one chattered heel-side  i landed on my bruised hip. the pain was unbearable. i could feel the bruise swelling. so i left.

snow was not that great. better at buck.

• 10 months later...

1st time out for the season, started on soft boot setup and decided to stay in em’ given the lack of real estate and abundance of people’s.
Many of the runs still have active snowmaking happening and are not full width or are not open. Grooming was OK but ridgey on most runs with the occasional ice sub layer. 
Fun sunny, 1st day out! Despite no hard boots...

Be aware that the Welch website is horribly slow and ticket sale line was crazy after opening.

On the MADD Jaxx side the old 4 seater with the pole in the middle of the bench was running but not loading . Four maintenance guys were standing around ogling up at the cable and first tower for a good hour. Welch replaced the middle of the bench bar with a curved bar that sits behind the bench. Great in that there are no more bar in the butt while loading issues. Bad in that said bar attaches through a swinging, bolted articulating piece, to the two upper bars which attaches to the cable. When the chair swings the articulating upper portion hits the new curved bar halting free swing of the chair, causing more bump and swing and prolly stress on the weld joints and bolts. Hard to explain, easy to understand when you are on the chair fearing for safety..... ahhhhh progress...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got out early again with daughter in tow on skis. Very, very, firm, frozen cord, ridgy, super flat light. Guessing they got mostly rain during the last cycle.... after an hour and a half it started getting to busy to comfortably arc ice turns so my daughter and I headed to the magic carpet for her first time on a snowboard.

Highlight of the day was a King burger at Kings Place Bar in Miesville.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. T said:

Highlight of the day was a King burger at Kings Place Bar in Miesville.

I have yet to visited that place. is it that good?

I haven't been through Miesville since fall when I went gold panning at the Miesville Ravine. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Got out on Friday in snow and sideways winds. The 2-3" filled the frozen cord well, lots of fun soft spots and push piles to play on.  I ended up riding soft boots most of the day but I did see a hardbooter out who looked familiar, maybe from one of the MES's.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

1/8 Sunday

Arrived to find D Team racing taking up the entire run under lookout chair and foul play. Sunrise chair was non functional and thus no access to back bowl. Spidey senses told me to ride soft and glad I did. Inconsistent grooming and lots of people, even the Sunday morning pro drinkers made getting a seat to warmup at Madd Jaxx impossible. Highlight of the day was, again, Kings burger joint in Meisville....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Got out for early laps on BigJim’s old 195 Prior. It had been a good half dozen years since I have been out on “BigRed” and once I got past the initial intimidation and got low it was fantastic! Flat light, people, sneaky lumpy ice and grooming ridges were all a challenge. After wrecking Lookout for small children, I did the same to Bakke. Mixed conditions today, most south facing runs had an icy base, east facing held together much better. Switched to the 182 Coiler for a bit , then softies. Not many more days left!

• Like 1