Note to New Members ×

Welch

bobble

2/4/18

there was snow overnight. on the way out on the road to welch (240th street) was closed from New Trier to Meisville. the DOT was clearing the snow drifts that had accumulated. had to take a detour to take county road 89 north and loop around.

the temp was -1F. the snow was groomed.  on lookout the snow was almost like styrofoam.  it didn't hold well on first pitch. fine at the transition.

wild finally has moguls from top of run to bottom. when you leave the chair you have to kick all the way past the new moguls and slightly  uphill past the lift tower. the moguls go all the way to the bottom of the run. there is a break where the trail from bakke intersects wild.

DSCN2611_1.jpg.773c72fd6b09e4235a1e393fa585a577.jpg

decided early to head over to dan's dive. snow was perfect! not many people. took many runs until feet got cold. 

most people were on duds dream. still no moguls. the embankment on skiers right was not groomed. i only took a couple runs.

after a break i went to jon jon. they created a wide lane on skiers left with a one foot high berm. went back to lookout and took more runs. was greeted by bear the ski patroller on top of lookout, he was wondering who was leaving all the carved tracks. 

headed back to dan's. more people started showing up. took a run on those back runs. i started getting cold again and left around 12pm.

2/11/18

the blizzard ski school showed up in 8 school buses! i've not seen lift lines at welch extend out so far. 

snow was icy underneath on lookout but once you got below first pitch it was decent. just had to look for other skiers.

i liked dan's the best.

2/18/18

flat light city. my first couple runs sucked ass. i could NOT see shit. eventually got better.

soft/grippy snow.  a few areas were icy. the lookout chair (newer one) was running, so naturally lookout had more traffic. dan's dive was good but lines were tedious. it was either dan's, duds dream, or look out. towards the end we ventured onto bakki which was surprisingly good.

an unusual number of hardbooters all in one place. greg, paul, chuck, myself. there were two others there.

chuck got a new toy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

3/10/18

drove out to Welch to meet friends. got there at 11:45-ish. i had to park at mad jax ... in the goddamn mud. 

lift lines were long. for whatever reason the bakki chair didn't open till around 3pm.

snow was decent. somewhat soft. 

the only disappointment was that they put moguls on Dan's Drive. it was completely covered in moguls.

my friends were on skis. had to take them to the back bowl. they survived the ice.

• 9 months later...

12/26/18

went to welch. first thing I noticed was lack of snow driving to welch; e.g. brown fields.

second thing I noticed was lack of snow under the bakke chairlift.

took a run down lookout. it was difficult to hold an edge. loose top snow with groomer ice. wide fast turns plus skidding. I was hitting ice. loud and jarring. would wearing ear plugs make me a better rider on ice?

went over to dan's dive. same thing. ran into Paul who was on short boards. he said he was originally on his OES board but conditions were not conducive to carving so he switched to the skis. we rode Harley's for a while. Randy and Pattie showed up on skis.

I tried Dud's Dream. the path under the chairlift is barren of snow (see 2nd image in the insta post). all I could do was skid the top part. I was able to carve the wall. it was fun but the moment was fleeting.

I went in for lunch and went back out and made a few more runs. did a couple on lookout. did bakke (sucked), jon jon (sucked sucked).

left close to 1pm. I lasted longer than I expected.

1/5/19

when I first arrived at welch I almost turned around and went home. there were races on bakke and lookout. I went to get my lift ticket and the lines were long.

ran in Paul and met Jeff (from Rochester).

there were several skiers I recognized from buck hill (including mr. green). one of them stopped to talk about buck. they do not like what's been happening; .e.g. race practices, moguls, big jumps, etc.

snow was okay. I was chattering on toe-side but it was better since last time I rode welch. problem was the number of skiers. I was looking uphill on almost every turn.

left at around 12:15pm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2/9/19

cold temps. When I got there it was minus 10 bobbles below 0. I left at noon when it reached 7 above. 

Not digging the new waiver policy. Feels like standing in line at the airport.

Lookout was closed off. Rode Duds and Dans almost the entire time. I arrived early and made first tracks on both runs.  Snow was fantastic but a little slow. I wish my phone didn't die from cold. I left many lines on Duds. 

On one run down duds I saw a pair of skiers behind. I pulled to the side and looked at them. Guy said "GO FOR IT!!!! RIP IT UP!!!". So I take off.  Turned out they were trying to match my turns.

around 10am I went in to warmup.  My front boot fintecs wouldn't release. I ended up taking my foot out of the boot to figure out the problem. I eventually was able to release the boot. i think it was frozen. Went back out later and it was fine.

11 hours ago, lonbordin said:

You have to sign a waiver each time???:eek:

Only if you don't have a season pass. When you buy a season pass there's acheckbox that you understand terms and conditions. My understanding is that all ski hills/resorts in MN are requiring everyone sign waivers. At Welch it's been a pain. Long lines.

At Buck they have a small ticket office. About the size of a one car garage. They placed those temporary barriers to create a queue that goes past the reams of waivers to sign. This means season pass holders might end up waiting longer to get lift tickets because of the way the set up the queue.

• 2 weeks later...

2/28/19

conditions at welch were decent but a bit soft. felt great to be out.

Greg, Paul, Trent and myself. good times!

... Except

almost had a collision with a skier. no one was behind me when i started down Pete's (steep run next to Dan's). just before the last pitch i was on a toe-side turn, the snow gave way, edge blew out, and slid towards the edge of the run.  at that moment i heard someone yelling and saw the legs of a skier between me and the edge of the run. felt the spray of snow too. the guy bombed the rest of the run headed to the chalet. i got up a few moments later, let Paul pass me, and went to the chair.

i got down to the bottom and met with Greg and Paul at the chairlift. i was a bit shaken by what happened. it turned out that on the same run, the same damn skier almost took out Paul who was uphill from me. when he missed Paul he continued on and almost collided into me. Greg saw the skier about to enter the chalet. he walked over to him and exchanged words.

in another multi-verse, i was hit by the skier.

Groupies
lasted to about 2pm. it was just trent and myself. had just changed shoes/boots and were walking down the stairs.

we hear a woman from behind, "excuse me?!?"

my first thought was i dropped something. we both stopped and looked up the stairs. there were two elder women looking down on us.

"we just wanted to say how much we admired your riding"

awww...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
8 hours ago, MNSurfer said:

Fri Nov 29 - Day after T-Day, and the kids are with the grandparents. Any idea of what is/will be open at Welch? Their website shows 6-runs, but a guy was hoping for a bit more (Afton has about the same, which got super busy yesterday, 1.5 hours after open).

sorry for late response. we met a guy on the chair that went to welch and only two runs were open.