Note to New Members ×

High end euro boards. Opinions?

Carvin' Marvin

On 1/28/2018 at 5:50 AM, Carvin' Marvin said:

I'm looking to add something spicy to the quiver, but I'm not sure where to start.  Something fast, snappy, and poppy. Virus? Pogo? Oxess?  Never been on a virus, but I hear they are exciting which is what I'm looking for.  Frank pointed me in the direction of his Lightning and Interceptor boards.  I know nothing of Pogos, but they sure are sexy.  I rode the custom Bomber Oxess, and I wasn't too impressed.  It rode really well, but I can't say it made me want one.  It seems Shred Grummer and Big Canuck are all about the custom Oxess so there is probably more to them than what I experienced.  

I just wanted to hear what y'all have to say before I drop $1500+ on a toy.

So Frank is steering you to a 168-173 board, if you want something exciting, try an executor, 203cm, custom built for your weight and ability, and deal directly with Frank, if you buy it in the states you'll pay a 40% premium to the dealer you buy from, if you deal with Frank you just pay shipping.

Any speed you want, any turn shape you want, pop, ha.

He has 190cm boards, and 180cm boards, been there done that, the 203 is much more fun, and hooking up a virus is worth every penny. When I had a 181 I wanted a 191, it was more fun, then I learned he made a 203, its even more fun.

5-6" of camber, pop.

Or in the interim, grab a used Kessler 171-185, a race board, steady, solid, get used to a longer board, then grab an executor....

• Like 1

From what you described, I'd also consider OES. Euro stuff, without breaking the bank... They have a variety of poppy freecarvers, but from what I tried, Sputnik or Loony will work well for you. Loony is turnier of the two, one of my go-to boards! 

I demo’d an Oxess XXRW174 (now known as SXR174) at the TTC last year, and it was an eye-opening experience. The price tag was intimidating, but after adjusting to it after a few runs, I knew I had to have it. That board has a combination of grip and pop that I had never experienced before, and yet I can ride it all day*. I still prefer my Coiler for softer/irregular snow, and I usually don’t end up as wrecked after a big day. But when it’s firm, up to and including icy, the Oxess is shockingly good. 

*Not because it’s forgiving, but because I feel compelled to ride it until my legs liquify.

11 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

yeah see that's neither accurate nor polite.

The design goals of those cars are different in a manner analogous to the design goals of American and European boards being different. The same thing's true of boards from Japan/ Korea. That may be a reason you'd want to try boards with a different pedigree, which was the question.

By analogy then, you may want to try driving both a Porsche and a Corvette, because they do essentially the same thing in a different way.