Note to New Members ×

Riding in walk mode vs locked

jburk

For the UPZ boots, I find switching to the softer red tongues on,early season first day or so, powder days or days when I am riding lower speed gives that feels softer, a bit like walk mode, (it is noticeably softer) however I do not feel the boot is really designed to ride in walk mode all the time and in the case of the UPZ there is a spring system both forward and backward.  It's about easily softening the entire set up while still getting good heel hold.

But once my riding clicks a bit (as I only ride a bit each year) then the entire system benefits from stiffening it up, particularly on firm groomed and higher speeds, and so I change to the standard tongues.  The softer set up really is beneficial though in the powder and  really bumpy chopped up terrain, also when I am not getting timing quite right, it has a wider range of movement before anything happens.  Which isn't needed in when I am riding better.

For 23 seasons, I've been in a Raichle/Deelux Hardshell as my main hardboot.  In that time, teaching often over 150/days/yr., I've rode 80% of my Hardboot days, doing this: I put my boots in 'walk mode' by having the rear slide-lever folded Down, but I turn the 'knob' 90*.  This gives me the 'forward lean' I'd get in 'Mid" locked position (3), yet Lets my Ankle Flex Forward as Needed to create a 'soft-touch' on Toeside Carves and Slid turns, too. What I've done to add-or-subtract Effort/Leverage is use either Softer or Stiffer Tongues, as Raichle and DeeLux made these available  relatively easily. I have owned only one set of RAB springs (and sold them, DoH?!) that I used for less than one Season, so, the Bulk of My Riding in Hardboots is the settings I describe above. All I can say is this; It works, at least for me. But, then again, I only carve 'moderately', and suck doing it switch...

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR

I have ski-carve-walk switches on my Dalbellos. I use all combinations, depending on what I'm doing, in what conditions and on what board. Most often I find myself on walk/walk, or front ski, rear walk. 

My previous pair of Dalbellos I have modified for BTS. Eventually, I figured that I preferrd 3x3 stiffess settings readily available at a turn of a knob.