Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2017/18

bobble

On 3/18/2018 at 7:01 AM, bobble said:

wonder if vale would buy buck? be sweet if i could ride buck and afton on one pass.

As a former lift mechanic, there are many emergency systems that had to have failed to cause that roll back. Likely those people that were injured will have significant payouts due to the area's maintenance negligence. That chair wasn't even that old. You can see the bullwheel at the bottom just free spinning. No drop down dogs, no brake engaged. Not good. Always jump if you are on the lift and this is happening.

trying to wrap my head around this... buck is hosting concerts.
http://www.buckhill.com/buckconcertseries/

Loverboy, Starship?!?  

wat? 

"General Admission is first come first serve, bring your lawn chairs, your blankets, or just wander around!  You will have access to Food Trucks, various beverages and much more!"

really curious as these "various beverages".

where are they going to set up a stage for these bands? i'm guessing tubing run.

On 3/18/2018 at 7:01 AM, bobble said:

wonder if vale would buy buck? be sweet if i could ride buck and afton on one pass.

With our luck it will be the "other" mega pass that will buy Buck....

Edited by MUD

3/31/18

checked number of times i used season pass... 52 as of today.

buck groomed last night. with the new snow on top it was strange mix of icy cord and wet snow. some areas the board just sank.

temperature was about 26F. i was not prepared for the wind. i didn't last long. i was too cold and just not excited about conditions.

this is likely to be my last day. 

14 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

How was the snow coverage before this new snow? Were there any bare spots?

i don't recall seeing any bare spots. it was very cold and the snow was in this quasi-slush/concrete state. hard to explain.

there were areas where snowboard sank.

some areas were fast.

and then there were areas where it was tracked out and the snow slightly froze over.

the worst was they ran an ATV in the slush near the new chair. the tracks froze over. had to be careful riding over them. when you stopped at the chair there was a lot of snowcone to step over.

weird was going down from the chalet to chair. there were a lot of deep foot prints walking up the hill. not sure why there were so many. the foot holes were deep and kind of froze over. when i was heading down to the lift it was a sketchy ride and hard to turn. kind of like neveplast but on a huge scale

they're close till Saturday but i wouldn't be surprised if they have a groomer out there right now pushing down the freshies.

14 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

Finally! Someone laid down some tracks in that fresh snow! Not sure if this link will work...

yesterday at lunch i walked to the beach. had to cut through the park because the snow was untracked. would've been great for snowshoeing. something about walking through the fresh snow, warm temps, blue bird sky. felt great to be out!!! it was gorgeous!!!i would have loved to have taken a board out.

from the beach i kept squinting to see any skiers or snowboarders. nada. all i could see was a path made by a groomer on warners.

late afternoon i checked out instagram and saw buck posted an update this weekend. scrolled through the comments and saw posters were ticked off that the ski teams had the runs to themselves. 

i checked out the milkrun cam. saw garland turns at the bottom... wtf, jfc!?! what is this with the garland turns?!?

my reaction when...

Edited by bobble

4/7 - 4/8/18

what a great weekend!!!! :biggthump

rode saturday. the sun was out. condition were almost hero. it was unbelievable. no bare spots. hardly any ice. when does the season end? 

rode sunday.  everyone who rode the chair was super-friendly. i think it was partly due to this weird weather phenomena. last year at this time i was paddle boarding on crystal lake. 

conditions were verrryyy gooood!!! excellent carving conditions. flat light and starting to snow but i had no problems with visibility.  i was loving it. :1luvu:

rode the chair with a woman. she was on a snowboard. she said that i rode like ryan knapton. i laughed and asked how she heard of him. she told me that she started 4 years ago and wanted to learn how to ride. she searched for videos on YouTube about riding snowboards and found the knapton videos. she said she practically studies his videos. she was curious if i had painted my jacket along the forearms to make them slide.  i told her to check out alpinesnowboarder.com.

a ski instructor started asking questions about alpine snowboards. i told him to reach out to @BobD and check out alpinesnowboarder.com.

i was there close to four hours. i was really tired. on my last run i was stopped at the top of milkrun by two snowboarders, "you ride like ryan knapton!!!". i burst out laughing, "that's the second time someone has said that today". we talked for a bit about the knapton videos. i plugged alpinesnowboarder.com and check out donek.

i stopped at the bottom and pulled off the snowboard. a skier stopped next to me, "you're not calling it quits are you? you're like the only reason for me to stay... you're fun to watch". i laughed, "my head is going to explode!". he said he races evenings and that "there's this other guy on a setup like your... incredibly precise turns... its amazing to watch him. the snow would be rutted but he still carving gates". i guess that's you @DonPablo

spoke to ski patrol. this is likely to be the last day of the season. later this week its suppose to warm up with the possibility of rain.

pull the band-aid quick!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

Don't look now, but there's a big blue blob on the radar just to the west of us. This could be fun! Thinking Wild or Buck Sunday?

7:45 AM... its snowing and small pellet sized hail is hitting the window from the east. 

should be fun.

I'm thinking Buck tomorrow. They don't open til noon though, so I might arrive early and hike up if they don't groom it all in. I noticed on the webcam that the main lift wasn't running today (wind?), and the baby chair closed early. Forecast for another 4-8" overnight on top of the 8" today. The way it's coming down I wouldn't be surprised if it adds up to more!

4/14/18

i went out in the wind and snow. main chair was not running due to extreme wind however the new chair was running. the wind felt like it was going to rip my board off. i don't recall ever riding in this wind. the chair occasionally slowed way down and stopped.

the wind really scoured the runs such that areas with no top snow appeared grey. the cord had set up as ice but it was soft enough to hold an edge.

the wind was gusting up hill such that it was really slow getting down. some people were covering their faces because the snow was coming down like fertilizer pellets.

the chute off olympic had snow. the fence line between olympic had deep snow. i was loving it!!! :1luvu:   the snow would refill itself with every run.

i walked up to top of milkrun from the new chair. wind was really gusting. it was crazy. tried to record a video but couldn't see if it was recording. forgive the potato quality.

went home and had to use the snow thrower to clear the driveway. a while later there was lightning and thunder. 

kind of looking forward to tomorrow.

Just now, bigwavedave said:

I'm thinking Buck tomorrow. They don't open til noon though, so I might arrive early and hike up if they don't groom it all in. I noticed on the webcam that the main lift wasn't running today (wind?), and the baby chair closed early. Forecast for another 4-8" overnight on top of the 8" today. The way it's coming down I wouldn't be surprised if it adds up to more!

heh... we just posted within a minute of each other. yeah, main chair was not running but the Warners chair was going. i am surprised they didn't shut it down. the wind was really bad. along the fences had deep snow which was a frickn rodeo. i loved it.

i am looking forward to seeing what happens. hope the don't groom.

2 hours ago, DonPablo said:

I think I’ll be out noonish, they’ll probably be running the lift early for the Buck Hill ski team so it will be all skied out by then 

They weren't out yesterday. What would be the point?

Today should be the last day. 

They were planning to practice I believe the email read along the lines of canceling because the snow was too soft, they weren’t going to run the toe rope and bad road conditions. They said they would practice Sunday. Why practice the last day of the year? The ski race program moto is  “learn to ski through endless drilling and infinite gate runs” and the Buck team has the power to open the hill early for themselves 

Edited by DonPablo