Note to New Members ×

Utah: Best SL Resort for Carving?

justk

I've been riding Park City for the last few years but haven't gotten in much hardbooting due to the increase in crowds and the two major funnels - bowling alley and the base.

I'm looking at switching to Brighton, Solitude or Snowbird .. any recommendations / thoughts?

Thanks

Edited by justk

IMO Solitude will be the least crowded and grooming is pretty good; anything off Eagle is fun and there is a bit of a carving crew there. You can usually get 4-5 clean runs in if you hit first chair. On the downside, they hosted the FIS BX race there last year and the course really squeezed the space up, so it will pay to investigate if that will be on again this year..... I might have been more forgiving if they opened the course up to regular punters one the racing was done - some of the berms were awesome :)

Brighton much busier, but running off Great Western can be good mid-week (and there is always the night session). The Bird is ok too, but the drive up LCC can be a real hassle.

• Like 1

Not sure I'd classify it as 'not all that great' (anywhere that racks 500in is pretty good in my book) but I get that it can be a bit stop-start & hard to get a flow. And the nazi resort is next door.....

• Like 1

I have no doubt some will disagree, but..............that said, I can only tell you that I had a blast over a couple of days at Powder (early February 2017).  That place is awesome, huge, uncrowded, grooming is decent and it is inexpensive.  Good vibe, too.  Saw a few other hardbooters there.  The bit about being inexpensive is worth a mention because I am thinking that you might have a pass to PC?  It can be tedious shelling out $140 for a day's pass when you have already paid for a season pass elsewhere.  If I recall correctly, I spent about $80 at the window on a Sunday at Powder.  I heard over a worker's radio that there were less than 700 people on the hill that day and fewer than 400 the following day (Monday).   Great experience.

Park City is amazing but I spend most of the day there in the trees or hiking.  It is the one place I ride with friends and that is what they are into.  When in Rome.  When they drink beer at the end of the day, I switch to an alpine board and do laps off the Payday lift, under the lights.  If the snow is a little wet at that time of the day and starts to ice up, I feel right at home (east coast).  The laps get faster and faster.

• Like 1

I too like Powder Mountain, mostly because it's quiet though. My mates live near Snowbird, and that's therefore where I spend most time there. It's the sort of place which you need to know your way around to get the best from, if you see what I mean. They don't seem to get many competent boarders there, so all contributions are likely welcome.

But really, just do 'em all and then do them all again, or pick one and stick with that. They're all worth a day at least, in my opinion.

The worst bit about Snowbird is the food. I believe it's all resort-owned so no one really gives a stuff and there's no competition.

Edited by philw
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2017 at 11:19 AM, philw said:

The worst bit about Snowbird is the food. I believe it's all resort-owned so no one really gives a stuff and there's no competition.

agreed.  conversely, Snowbasin's food is worth taking a true lunch break.  the view from the Needles lodge, the lodge itself, the food.   google it and click images.  incredible.

i am getting hungry.

snowbird does sell a high quality "chapstick" with their logo on it.  the stuff is the best.  not exactly food but the next best thing.

Edited by davekempmeister
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @Lurch, @breeseomatic, @davekempmeister and @philw for the feedback. I'm still not sure what to do but I need to decide soon!

I live in Sugarhouse and go to PCMR for the convenience mostly - 20-25 minutes door-to-door, I can park right next to the lift and get in 8-9 runs in an hour off Crescent, then go back to work. Also, the roads to get there are usually clear. However, with the Epic Pass , the crowds and bottlenecks aren't really safe for carving (imo) and Park City is most likely doing away with night skiing altogether soon.

Powder Mountain - absolutely! I love it - but way too far to get a few runs in quickly - I'll get up there but probably not worth it for a pass.

Snowbird - favorite for steeps and free riding. Getting up there can be a pain. Sounds like not that great for hardbooting?

Snowbasin - would be great for all-mountain, but again, too far for a pass.

Brighton - sounds like it may be good - BCC canyon not too bad to drive up?

Solitude - sounds like it may be good too.

I think it's going to be between Park City, Brighton and Solitude ..

Thanks again everyone!

22 hours ago, justk said:

... Snowbird - favorite for steeps and free riding. Getting up there can be a pain. Sounds like not that great for hardbooting? ...

I wouldn't say that, it depends what you want / mean by that. It's not a "motorway cruiser" type place and you'd probably want to stick your hard boots on a powder board on a powder day...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I have been to the other resorts but I love Snowbasin. There is some great lower angle carving in Strawberry area as well as back closer to the base. Want to ramp up the Gs and I will go to some of the upper runs or hit the downhill courses - mens and womens. I don't remember too many names . There were great turns to be had all around. 

Of course the problem is .... it still snows quite a bit there. So I make sure to have a powder board or all mountain in the quiver.

• Like 1