Note to New Members ×

Online Sidecut calculator

Technick

That'll be assuming a single radius of course. It will come up with some sort of average on most modern boards. 

ETA: OK, tried it.  It's not obvious how to take the measurements.  First, find the narrowest point in the waist, mark it on the board and measure that. That measurement is "Middle ski width (W)".  Then measure from that point to the tail of the board. That length is "Ski Length rear (Lw)".  The overall length is "Ski total length (LTOT)".  Measure "Rear ski width (H)" at 90% of the distance back from the mark you made.  Measure "Front ski width (S)" at 80% of the distance forward from the mark.   Everything in mm.

For example, my 180 cm Nirvana has L TOT of 1800, Lw of 835, S 258, W 210, H 255.  I took the rear measurement at 75 cm back from the mark and the front one at 77 cm forward from the mark.

That calculates radius R of 12.47 m and radius with 1.5% tolerance T of 12.66 m.  According to Bruce the actual sidecut is 12/14.

Edited by Neil Gendzwill

Hmmmm....  With a bit of tape and a calculator you too can calculate sidecut radius!

Measure the waist width of your board.  Call that "W"

Measure the width of your board close to the nose (still on the sidecut).  Call that "N"

Measure the distance between those two widths.  Call that "L"

Plug it in to the following formula (notice the amazing graphics here) to get the radius in the same units you measured it in.  MAGIK!!!

IMG_4646.thumb.JPG.f19f28392996a54041fdc7937113e37d.JPG

If you're lazy like me you can do Wolfram:

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=n%3D29.69,+w%3D25.5,+l%3D137%2F2,+(4l^2%2B(n-w)^2)%2F(4(n-w))

And get:

Capture.JPG.238b33f003944d218c3c1e63726a473f.JPG

With this you can do nose radius, tail radius, full radius, and (only if you really want to) diameters!

• Like 1

^^^ It's Pythagoras nothing here to really go wrong.  It's more dependent on your measurement.  

The numbers above are from my Steepwater and are right on.

If I run Neil's numbers from above (on the tail end of the board I get: 1453 which seems to be in line with the 12/14 sidecut. 

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=n%3D25.8,+w%3D21,+l%3D83.5,+(4l^2%2B(n-w)^2)%2F(4(n-w))