Note to New Members ×

If you had to pick an alpine board for use as a rail board...

mirror70

If your F2 is doing it, then you already know the answer. My SL and GS boards are both F2 as well. They both work as well as can be expected on rails. Being that no alpine board is really set up for rails, I would say ride the rails with whatever board you are on.

If you're doing rails, are you only doing 50-50's (sliding with nose pointed forward) or are you also doing board slides?

If you're doing board slides, it would be a lot safer to blunt the edges, so you don't catch an edge and do a face plant. In this case, you should just get a freestyle board, since you really can't carve with dull edges.

If you're only doing 50-50's, then you could get away with having sharp edges. I would then recommend a Donek Incline. That's the best carving free-ride board that I've tried and they are fairly inexpensive.

blunting the edges just for rails?? no way dude. i like the approach mirror70 is already taking. and yeah, i dunno, an old burton would probably be suitable. decent ride, typically a bit softer (in my experience) and hey, since you're already doing it on a little hot rod, it seems you'll have no problem with adapting to any other board. personally i have been digging my alp on rails, though i must admit that i have yet to work up to a board slide.

isn't the real goal to be able to ride any gear anywhere???

how do you approach hitting rails??

Originally posted by alpinegirl

isn't the real goal to be able to ride any gear anywhere???

As long as that gear is hardboot gear, yeah :D (in reality, I just can't afford a freeride setup)

The F2 that I'm trying to save is the 153cm twig that I was on in the little vid I posted. It's a brilliant little thing to carve on, and soft like an early sapling.

I haven't done a whole lot with rails yet. Mostly I've just been messing around on the fun boxes until I find a dedicated rail board. I'll take a look at the Alp based on your rec. Are those things soft like wet noodles?

I'd like to see some footage of you doing the rails on your alpine set-up. I've been curious about venturing into our beginner terrain park here and would like to see some shots of that. I was mostly thinking about hitting the jumps though, nothing big, just something to giggle about,

Thanks,

Paul

Originally posted by ar(angel

I'd like to see some footage of you doing the rails on your alpine set-up. I've been curious about venturing into our beginner terrain park here and would like to see some shots of that. I was mostly thinking about hitting the jumps though, nothing big, just something to giggle about,

I don't have any rail footage yet. I do have a clip of some casual carves though, which was posted here: http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5221

Definitely go in to the park. They're a lot of fun and can actually improve your riding. Start off by doing ride-bys and jumping on to the landings, then work up to going over the jumps. Also take a look at the fun boxes and give a low one a shot. You may be surprised how few people are comfortable riding their boards flat, which is usually a sign of too much inclination, among other things.

speaking of bringing the alpine gear in the park

in 1996 or 97 a couple days after the US open had ended a guy on a FP dropped into the pipe and was blasting huge airs about eight or so feet out

it was sick he was going bigger than just about everyone riding that day

as a side note some of the guys I was there with stopped giving me **** about alpine being "gay" after seeing this

What I was saying is similar to gdboytyler. I have been doing rails for years on both of my F2's. There is very little damage on either of them. Even on boardslides, as long as you do it in the same place every time, you should not have a problem. If you want to get into nose presses and tail presses, then you will probably start seeing damage. Edges only get jacked when you make a mistake - so don't make a mistake right?;) Anyway, my boards still carve as well as ever. I wouldn't ride anything but my F2's with hardboots anyway.

Originally posted by gdboytyler

If you're doing rails, are you only doing 50-50's (sliding with nose pointed forward) or are you also doing board slides?

If you're doing board slides, it would be a lot safer to blunt the edges, so you don't catch an edge and do a face plant. In this case, you should just get a freestyle board, since you really can't carve with dull edges.

If you're only doing 50-50's, then you could get away with having sharp edges. I would then recommend a Donek Incline. That's the best carving free-ride board that I've tried and they are fairly inexpensive.

Blunting your edges for boardslides is only *maybe* necessary if you plan to hit a natural rails like fallen tree trunks and the handrail by a mid-mountain lodge. It's way overkill and I think most people do it to be cool - like buying an 4WD Landrover when you live in the city. The rails in the park are super smooth and polished, I seriously doubt catching your edge on it will be the problem. You are actually MUCH more likely to *slip* off of the rail. In general your edges won't get messed up unless you *landed* on the rail badly... i.e. it was your bad technique that got you in trouble and not the board's sharp edge. So assuming you sort of know what you are doing... it shouldn't matter.

I have an Incline and it's great, but Mirror70 specifically asked for an "alpine board" and not to try to convince him to ride a freeride/freestyle board. I would go a shorter (160s), softer board with a short sidecut (obviously cheaper since it's a rock/rail board). Like a Burton UP 162 (which is actually softer than my Incline 155)

Some mediocre rail footage - at the very end you can see me do a boardslide, way in the distance.

Originally posted by mirror70

(in reality, I just can't afford a freeride setup)

you cant afford it or dont value the change enough? I have been making this excuse for a few seasons now, but I still find myself dropping $200-400 on new/used equipment each season, be it apparel and gear. I have to say though, i got out on a flow frestyle demo a week or two ago and am seriously considering getting myself a frestyle setup and chillin' with the park rats on the less carvable days(i do anyway, but only one the days where i know im not going to have any fun simply carving turns on my alpine board)

on another note, the parting shot in this months Transworld is of Greenwood gettin mad air in the pipe on his race board. the caption that went with it was the typical transworld babble, but it was a quite inspiring picture.