Note to New Members ×

Breakaway Bindings

neanderthal

Having had my foot come out of a TD3 that was not sufficiently tight, I have learned a valuable lesson myself on how bad things can be on an alpine board with only one foot attached in a hard turn at high speed. I was lucky as to get to a crashed turtle stance and slide on my back down the hill without hurting myself or others. Since then, my bindings are very tight, and I check them multiple times before gates or any time I want to drop plates and get a high edge on a hard carve.

I am purely an amateur.

If any of my friends whom I don't hold a candle to their skill level ever lost a boot with one of their runs, I am sure severe damage would happen to someone. Please be careful with these bindings as I am not the expert to say what could be done, and I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt.

On 2/27/2017 at 5:37 PM, philw said:

I always used to think I'd probably die in a tree well, but actually they're easy to deal with if you think about the best way to ride them, and I've never been caught out. I have helped rescue a few people though, and I would mostly avoid trying self-rescue, just wait for your mates to come and get you. If you can breathe, then there's no urgency, counter to how many people possibly feel about the situation.

I got caught in '87 at Fairfield Bowl, in the 'light woods', where you're crossing the mids of 50-ft. Spruce on a fluff that's really deep. I got too close surfin' the 'windbowl' [which I now know is "BAD" to do!] around the trunk, and got snagged, flipped by my nose under a branch, and, being on an '87 Sims 1700 Swallotwail, the tail hooked a branch Above me. This board was white/gold stripes on top, white base with a light-blue "Sims" scrawl on it.  Great!! No one would see me until June, 15 feet Up the trunk! Great, also, I'm so F#c%3D as to be a Harbinger for the next Metallica Album Cover!  I can't reach my bindings at all, and, the damn 'fluff' keeps sluffiing down into my face, making my head (pre-helmet days, btw) and face quite cold. However, we were riding in packs of 3-4, and Keith was 'just' downhill of me, and knew the glade. When he couldn't hear me, he stopped. He was perhaps a football field+ 80 yards downhill of me. In the light snow, it took him at least a 1/2 hour to step-climb back to me, and dig me out. That wasn't my only 'close call' in woods riding, but it was my first time needing SOMEONE ELSE to Dig Me Out!! A Releasable binder would've been great about THEN, but, otherwise, I'll stick with BOTH FEET SECURED, Thank You...

TVR, btw, now knows to 'listen' to the closure, and note the effort required... In my case, I know now to never quite 'go it alone' entirely; always let someone else know you're "over there" and expect to RETURN by such-an-hour... Angels will protect you, until you're TOO STUPID, or, thereabouts...

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is my quick release system for intecs. Derlin quick release buckles that will fit into Intec handles, 8' of 5/8" webbing (REI), and a Nylon Double Biner. Threaded through my pants, up through jacket sleeve and and into mittens. Long enough webbing to reach approximately the bottom of the palm of my hand when my arm is not fully extended, but short enough to activate Intec release when holding the Biner and fully extending my arm. 

Yes it is more difficult to release when the binding is loaded upwards, but pulling and doing a little hop should release it when hanging upside down.

12.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

• Like 1

This is far too practical & cheap to be marketed in the shark tank of mega buck carving. 

Sure, it's a good solution, but I'm suggesting it needs some extra flair; how about a 12 gauge shotgun primer in each intec heel with a mercury switch trigger that detonates once you become inverted in the tree well/avy/frontside tomahawk?! Extra bonus would be the blast alerting the patrollers they have a rescue/yard sale to deal with.

Need to figure out a safety for the boot dryer tho' - help me out people.....