Note to New Members ×

Northeast alert

billyt.

Just back from VT.  Everything is ripe for big dump this Sun/Mon.  Got some fresh snow, I wouldn't call it powder.  Hope you can get some.  Question, I been riding with rear boot unlocked carving and free riding.  Really helps getting down lower quickly.  Is this wise, and am I risking potential injury?  It has really loosend up my riding, and I feel more fluid.  I am really closing my C shaped trenches on toe and heel side.

1 hour ago, billyt. said:

Question, I been riding with rear boot unlocked carving and free riding.  Really helps getting down lower quickly.  Is this wise, and am I risking potential injury?  It has really loosend up my riding, and I feel more fluid.  I am really closing my C shaped trenches on toe and heel side.

I went unlocked on my raichles for many many years with no problems. I now have BTS w yellow springs on my deeluxe which I do like better. I get further range of motion now. 

I prefer this setup at steeper angles 55+. I felt it gave me good range of motion in bending my knees fore and aft to absorb bumps, landings etc, while giving stability side to side. 

With that said many here will tell you that it's a bad idea.

Under the circumstances, where you're exploring a particular application of range of movement, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Riding with the front, or both in walk mode could present a problem in the event the board suddenly stops and you don't. The boot cuffs offer feedback, and your reaction time to that kind of disruption will be slowed somewhat if the cuffs free-hinge.

If you opt for the BTS, install just the rear unit and see how that rides. Might be all you need, and then you can sell the spare to a like-minded individual.