Note to New Members ×

Surfing movements on hardboots?

Zone

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154320655299226&id=34778334225

I wonder how this kind of rotation, arm movements etc are not used or not translated into snowboarding world.

I was watching some instructor courses and the carving is very static with just the board switching edges.

Not sure if this belong in the 'off topic' section but since the example is surfing.

Edited by Zone

When good surfers are carving on the face, their body movements are very similar to hardbooting.

Surfing motions are far more complex than carving a snowboard though.  On a surfboard, a lot of maneuvers involve pivoting off the tail.  For that, surfers use their upper bodies. 

• Like 1

yep, climb and drop...If you have the experience, you can use it...when I am snowboarding, I am surfing and skating because I choose to use those motions and vision...the Pure Carve crew comes to mind as well, a perfect example actually, I spent years in the water with Mike and Joey and years on the Milk with them, whenever going down behind them I would just smile and think we were all at Malibu or Makaha :biggthump

• Like 1

for those who have no failbook account:

https://www.facebook.com/WSL/videos/10154338756947058/

i'm theoretical wave surf lover - no waves here in siberia, but I read a couple books on surfing, own surfing encyclopedy, and saw lotta videos for inspiration - being accomplished skater and snowboarder. and after viewing THIS slater' masterpiece - I understand that more often than not I work my arms and torso just the same in tight spaces and-or moguls when freeriding in alpine boots - just not to use parasitic boot leverage and to feel like "boarding is foot sport not leg sport". nice demo!

Edited by terekhov
  • Like 3

I wonder how this kind of rotation, arm movements etc are not used or not translated into snowboarding world.

They are. As people in this thread have already pointed out, rotation of the upper body is very much a thing in snowboarding (although there are styles of riding with different approaches). Watch Jörg from about the 0:50 mark:

• Like 1

I'm thinking upper body rotation and arm movement of the "pureboarding" style are partially the result of the preferred stance/orientation on the board.

I settled on this stance/style 25yrs ago because it's what felt most comfortable and efficient to my bio-mechanics.

Different stances/board widths are going to require different upper body/arm movements to some degree; wide 25+cm, mid +/- 22cm, skinny 20-cm inherently create different body positions and thereby arm movements. just my observation.