Note to New Members ×

Lessons in Seattle area + gear demo

GarrettDN

Hi all,

My friend is looking to try hardbootin'. I sold my hard boot setup (softie carver now) so I'm not much help. He is a size 10ish boot. He is interested in getting a lesson from someone who can loan/rent him gear in the Seattle area.

Any good places to start looking for this type of option?

Hi Garrett, this right here is the best possible spot, but I haven't heard much from Seattle folks in the last few years. I know this is kind of a stretch, but if he's free to head out to NICE (North Idaho Carving Event) later this month, one of the local riders there has a full quiver of demo gear - boots and boards - and we could definitely put together some beginner lessons. NICE is at Schweitzer from Jan. 29 - Feb 4. Other than that, hard to know what to suggest - if he makes it down to the Portland area, I could loan him my boots and a beginner-friendly board for a day, but I'm not the best person to coach. If he can make it down to Bachelor, I believe that Noschoolrider (http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/profile/1045-noschoolrider/content/) is an experienced alpine instructor, so your friend could likely work in a lesson or two as part of a road trip to Bachelor. 

Or just learn like many of us: buy the gear with your fingers crossed and then trawl the technique threads :-)

Try contacting Gavin at Snowperformance http://www.snowperformance.com/index.php/who-we-are.  Sean Cassidy coaches for them and is a great coach.  They are based in the Seattle area.  As for the equipment, I believe that Bomber ships demo gear. Or, like Dan said, send him to Schweitzer if he's game, it's an easy drive from there.

Edited by Keenan
Add stuff
  • Like 1

Garret,

I could loan your buddy an older Donek Free Carve 171 with Catek OS1 bindings. I have a pair of boots also that are 28.5.

I keep my hardboot stuff in Oregon and will be going back in a couple of weeks. I'm at Stevens Pass a lot and could bring the set up

with me. I rarely ride the hardboots there, Its been a powfest  so far this year. As far as any coaching goes, I'm not the right guy.

If your buddy is a competent soft boot carver he should be able to at least  get the idea pretty quickly. I was able to pick it up in short order and I found that board to be very easy ride. I also have a HotBlast 178 that I would be willing to part with for not much.

let me know. ( I'm the one that bought your Swoard)

Warren

I

Hey Warren! Man, great to hear from you again. Hope the Swoard is working well for you. It has definitely been a solid year thus far for the powder boards! (I have a big-nosed Donek in the hopper....)

All, thanks for the advice. I remembered that there used to be lessons at Crystal or Cypress, but those days might be past. My buddy is new to moving past skidded turns, so I think I'll keep hunting around for someone who can give him some pro tips, but may reach out later in he season for some of the aforementioned gear.

Cheers!