Note to New Members ×

Good skiing in April?

Tick

I realize that with the warm season throughout much of the US, this may not be feasible, but I am looking at planning a last hurrah road trip for the season in April. Where in the U.S. would be my best bet for good conditions early-to mid-April?

Guest Randy S.

Tahoe often has its best skiing/riding in April. Plus crowds are nonexistent. Last April sucked though. Tough to call at this point. We've certainly got tons of good snow right now so there will definitely still be snow then, just can't predict whether you'll get freshies or not. Tahoe weather in April is amazing. Bring your sunscreen.

Other options: Alaska (can yo say Heli?), CO, BC, UT

We take an annual trip there during the spring - late March/early April. NEVER been disappointed! The place ROCKS! I'll most likely be out that way March 28-April 1.

Here in northern UT, we can typically count on riding up to the mid part of April, but it varies. I enjoy "springy" conditions! I've ridden Snowbird up to like May 25th or somwhere around there. Not much of the mountain open, but still fun :)

My $.02 is for Mammoth also. The last several Aprils have has lots of snow and warm conditions. I have also had some great powder days during this time of year.

After spring break the masses are done with snow sports until next season, so crowds are never an issue. This year eastern Sierra have enough snow pack to last well into June and beyond with good conditions.

Although it is a long trek from Virginia, it would be well worth the time. If you do decide to make the trip, give a post because there are a lot of carvers that ride Mammoth and frequent this forum.

Guest jeremiah

Other than summer glacier sessions at Whistler, the latest I've ridden is Memorial Day at Arapahoe Basin about 100 minutes out of Denver. It wasn't great carving, but I was on a crappy rental anyway, and I had a great day leaving my skier friend in my wake doing bumps on Pallavacini.

A-basin also gets a serious party atmosphere in the parking lot late season, but I suspect that April is about a month early to be considered 'late season' at A-basin.

Jeremiah

In other years I would wholehearteadly suggest my current home Mt Hood or my future (as of late summer) home Mt Bachelor. Both mountains start to empty out but still have plenty of snow and sometimes even winter conditions. This season has been abysmal so far, but a good March could save the day and lead to a good April and May.