Note to New Members ×

Reconsider the name of this forum?

Jack M

I know an edict has been issued but I very much think splitting the board will dillute things. If I read about splitboarding or an ultimate powder board on a (carving/hardboot/Alpine/plate/insert your preferred term) forum I can relate more and understand from a common experience in a way that does not exist on specific forums. When I read that a 180 swallowtail is too long - does that apply to me riding a 175 most of the time in all conditions or is it conventional wisdom from a community where 155 is the norm. Tell me about edge hold and unreal control - again is this coming from a collective wisdom familiar with isolation plates or just magnatraction.  In short I fear a loss of crosspolonization and fragmentation. 

In the end I probably doesn't matter much - I hope not to miss too many posts by reading on the board I am most interested rather than most in need of hearing from

Edited by neanderthal

12 hours ago, softbootsailer said:

...you never see Boogie borders in Surfer because while they both ride waves, ...

Actually you used to see Body boarding, hand planks, bodysurfing, longboards, SUPs, and strapped in (tow-in) in Surfer/Surfing all the time.  Each of the previous were, of course, most prominent in their nascent period.  The dilution into separate factions is, IMHO, one of the tragedies of surfing.

I kinda wish the BOL forums were more like your Minds in the Water thread, SBS.  All types of surfing in one place... a veritable thread of stoke.  Where else would I have seen Laird Foiling at Hanalei?  Certainly not from the pages of Surfer and that's the tragedy.  What new progression in carving will I miss in the future if I'm not open to all carving?

We are stronger together...

Mahalo.

• Like 3