Note to New Members ×

Burton step ins

Allee

Well, it looks like Burton have decided that step in is the way of the future.

http://www.grindtv.com/transworld-business/evolution-of-the-step-in-binding-burtons-chris-cunningham-weighs-in/#hTtItICVMxJk3QG0.97

This should be interesting.

I love my step ins, and if it wasn't for the fact that I just replaced my soft boots last year I'd totally try this setup. It actually looks pretty decent.

• 3 weeks later...

I had their last step in design. Easy to get into but very difficult to release in waist deep snow, especially when your feet are planted above you. Passing tree wells made me wish I picked the K2 or Flow binding. Looks like the new incarnation is easier to get out of. 

I really liked the original Burton step- in, except for the heel piece that the high back rest on.  It really restricts heel side turns. The new step-in looks as if it has the same issue. Also the new design does not (from pictures only) appear to have the same lateral security/rigidity, that old binding had. Riding soft boots at higher angles means there is as more side to side leverage on the boot, than in a freestyle stance.

• 3 months later...

Burton is demoing step-ons to general public. Saw them at Stevens Pass, WA yesterday. They ran out of bindings so I didn't get a chance to try myself, but if you see a Burton demo hut, you might get a chance to try them out.

FYI, they said they were out of bindings because a batch were stolen. Wonder if someone will try to sell these on Craigslist before they are released.