Note to New Members ×

Curious About Gas Peddle Setup

rvrholic

You're talking about the Gas Pedal feature on Burton bindings, right? I have it on my Cartels on both feet. Honestly, I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes while riding versus a regular footbed. If it was stiffer instead of a soft foam then maybe it would do something. Sorry if that doesn't help. 

2 hours ago, SnowFerret said:

You're talking about the Gas Pedal feature on Burton bindings, right?

In "The Hardbooting Community"?

rvr, toe lift on the front foot is used to offset the boot's built-in forward ramp angle.  It's simply personal preference, many people use it.  I think it makes it easier to control your fore/aft weight placement, and makes hardbooting more comfortable in general.  Some people use more front foot toe lift than heel lift on the back foot.  I've never felt a need to try that (gas pedal), but that's me.  Just try it and see.  It's possible it could lull you into forgetting to get forward at the beginning of each new carve to pressure the nose, which is important.

What he said. You can set it any way you like, but the mentioned things (ramp angle, lifts, boot flex, boot lean) all work together. Try it and see how it works.

Conceptually I like the idea of "centred", so I would like to ride flat and use the boots to deal with the different lean I need on front/ back. That's not possible with modern snowboard boots, I find, so I use some front-toe-lift and rear-heel-lift to get to where I want to be, albeit still centred. If you think you want to rock forward a few degrees, then you can see how to do that, but it's going to be a trade-off.

Test it out for your own riding.  There will be many opinions here.

In the simplest terms, I use toe and heel lift to place my body in the correct position fore and aft on the board to make the turns I want to make.  If I feel I need to be more over the nose, I decrease toe lift and/or increase heel lift.  If I am too over the nose I increase toe lift and/or decrease heel lift.  

Lift will also affect the angle of your lower leg to the board which I have found can affect my turns, especially initiation.  Boot forward lean has an effect on this as well. Sometimes a change will help one side and harm the other. 

IIRC, riders who use the gas pedal effect talk about the increase power on toe sides.  It would make toesides harder for me by moving my body back and standing my front leg up too much to have a strong initiation. 

Edited by Buell