Note to New Members ×

Video: how to be a skier

Corey

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

Oy, great terrain awareness there!  Powder is your friend, until it's not in view anymore!!

yess :) I usually ride in pretty mellow mountains almost without such mountainous terrain (and without avalanche danger:), and only visit true alpine terrain on rare occasions... one rule of thumb which I heard from one of guides (and it is rather dull to ride in big mountains guide-less: to be on the safe side you will not find any interesting secret spots, which is a point of visiting new mountains for freeriding): never for ever loose altitude if you're not completely sure. this rule saves my ass in soo many occasions! and yes, more than once I've stopped above such deceptive terrain drop only to look for great traverse for escaping route

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

Key words; Escape route!  Yup. That!

escape route PLUS not lost altitude! coz other way you gonna need to clip off and climb uphill to restore access to this escape... and it's not always THAT simple to climb up where it's soooo simple to board down ;) been there, done that. mountains is uber-masters of deception whoreness!

• Like 1

I had gotten to, in '92, the 'crest' at Rainier, and we stopped, 2/3rds of the way up.  Serge checked the SW weatherband Radio, and said we needed to move East + Down, Opposite our goalposts. We were bummed, but complied, as we were parked on the Mt Adams side of the range. We found a cloud-mass come over, thunder-snow, and almost dark conditions within a 1/2 hour. I was 'So Close' to topping my 3rd Cascade Range Peak (MT Hood, and MT Adams, but St Helens had blown apart when I was 16... Bummer.!

So we reversed direction, and rode down. Good thing, as it was a white-out on down.  After we packed out, and cleared, we heard of two skiers trapped in a cave for two days with nothing but a cliff-drop of 20 ft. out beyond them, in the visible range. Knowing your mountain pays Big Dividends out West, certainly!!

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR
Wha? Spelling! Dyslexia, dude, gimme a break!!?
  • Like 1