Note to New Members ×

Best Coaching for a 10 year old GS hard booter

TVR

My Son is 10 now. He loves hard booting, and GS is his thing. I was blessed last year to have a friend help me with him, and teach him.

We are out of NH and the white mountains are our playground. Last year he took first in his class for EICSL and 16'th in the USASA at Copper. (Fantastic people at the Donek tent, especially Jim) I am now trying to figure the best place to put him for this upcoming season. I am not looking for any favors here with this post, but more just trying to compile all of his options so I can make the best decision. 

Waterville has a well known program. They seem to do well in the races and they seem to have good coaches. Their program, however, requires volunteer work, which would prevent me from also racing this year, as my wife and I both work. Loon seems to have a program, but I haven't heard much about it, and it is extremely expensive.

Are their other snowboard teams in near the White Mountains in NH?

Are their coaches / trainers who freelance and who's specialty is hard booting and GS?

I appreciate any advise and I thank all who reply in advance.

Edited by TVR
added tags

I'm running an Adult Race Group  [Team East] out of Crotched Mt. this season, which will train mostly under the lights (though some daylight hours may be had in the late afternoon). We are mostly geared towards adult racers who are looking for an edge in USASA events, but need to make time for life's little things like Work...

While Bill Enos' crew at Waterville is highly recommended, I've had my share of Racers come from my years at Okemo, Bromley and Stratton. Look up Donek's one-off specs, and you'll find Kid's Race Boards like the Mac or Marlie; I spec'd those out for those youngin's when they were still Young. I  truly know what works for kids in terms of development, and Safety is paramount with any of my students.

So, look into it, see if this might suit your schedule or needs. And, as always, feel free to bounce ideas or concerns my way (PM me here, or post up on Freecarve.com). 

Hope to hear from you, or see you up on the hill this season.

Please do speak with Eric. He truly does work with individuals as individuals drawing on strengths and building solid foundational skills. 

As far as kids racing and training with adults. The reality for your child is it is up to them. If they want to race and are driven to continually improve then this is the place. He'll get from it what he wants. The adult team at Crotched sounds like it will be a great environment for your son. Eric is a tremendous coach and human and your son will be challenged in an encouraging environment and improve a great deal while having fun .

Alpinegirl, thanks for the kind words! I have had a good talk with Frank, I think things will work out well for everyone. 

TEAM EAST is up on Facebook, though some info has yet to be fleshed out (and a good bit of gate video I have is stuck on an 'unreadable' disc. Tech goes obsolete too quick nowadays! LOL).  Anyone who thinks, though, that I need more connectivity, please don't add me to any Group.!?

FB is confusing enough as it is! 

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR

• 4 months later...

Congratulations to Micheal Smith!  He is going to Nationals this season, and is looking plenty fast! At this Sunday's  USASA race at Whaleback, he made a fairly steep and icy course look like a cake-walk, and took 1st place. It's been an honor to mentor him, and I think he's got a bright future ahead of him.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...