Note to New Members ×

MN breweries

DonPablo

Out at Badger Hill, I didn't realize this place was all the way out by valley fair, I thought it was in savage. We were at Cantebury watching corgi races. I didn't see the snowboard hanging from the ceiling Bob. They ran out of the double IPA right when they were pouring one for me ;( 

Excelsior Tap room has the boards on the ceiling. Ms Bobble says a new one opened in Lakeville. We went looking for it a week ago and took us a long time to find the building. It wasn't open when we went but should be this weekend. 

Brew pubs are sprouting up everywhere. I will not be surprised if Buck opens one at Tucker's. Maybe they'll sell season passes for flights. 

I just ordered the dry slope pass. 

I think there is two coming to Lakeville, Angry Inch Brewing and Lakeville Brewing Co. Nutmeg now fills growlers.

You going to board or ski? I'll come take some video of ya! Do you know what color of that stuff they picked? I see green online, wonder if white would make the transition easier from snow. But I suppose white doesn't stay white for long...

angry inch... that was the one we were looking for. do you like nutmeg enough to buy a growler? i found that some of the beers had a metallic aftertaste that was hard to get past.

re: board or ski... i'll start off with softboots on an old board and see how that goes. i'll try hardboots with a beat-up board.  maybe the neveplast will buff out the rust on the edges? might use my old deeluxe boots.

i'm really curious as to how it will feel compared to snow. will it be like icy hard pack? fast? slow? how will it be to unload from the chair? 

not sure what to wear for clothing and protection. most common injuries are the thumb from getting jammed in the webbing.

but my big concern is the crowd. its just one main run and you know how those assholes love to monopolize milkrun with gates.

Nutmeg is alright, I was excited when the owner said he likes IPAs and wanted to brew a bunch but I've been there a few times and they have never had an IPA on tap. Their beer seems pretty mediocre to me, the food was good. Sisyphus and Day Bock are my two favorite metro area breweries right now. Day Bock has a good hefeweizen, and I like Sisyphus' IPAs.

I think the plastic will be slow, you won't cover as much ground as on snow. Going to be weird. You can bust out that Canadian Tuxedo you have hiding in your closet.

image.jpg

ms. bobble and i checked out Wild Mind Artisan Ales

i just had one Farmhouse Table Beer. ms. bobble had French Saison and a House Saison.

the descriptions say all beers are "Stainless Steel Fermented". but aren't they all? at least it didn't have that funky metallic taste.

it's in a strange location off of crosstown. not exactly an area i would set up a tap room. parking is off street. 

seemed to have a lot of patrons for early afternoon.

ms. bobble and i checked out Wild Mind Artisan Ales

i just had one Farmhouse Table Beer. ms. bobble had French Saison and a House Saison.

the descriptions say all beers are "Stainless Steel Fermented". but aren't they all? at least it didn't have that funky metallic taste.

it's in a strange location off of crosstown. not exactly an area i would set up a tap room. parking is off street. 

seemed to have a lot of patrons for early afternoon.

I can't keep up with all the new breweries. Patti and I will have to make it down to the 2 new ones in lakeville. Sounded like the service was kinda bad at them? Some beers are fermented in wood wiskey kegs, but that's pretty rare. I'm pretty sure you're right on the stainless steel, that's the go-to food grade metal.

I had a slip and slide accident this last weekend... Bruised my foot up good, might have torn my meniscus.

10 hours ago, DonPablo said:

I can't keep up with all the new breweries. Patti and I will have to make it down to the 2 new ones in lakeville. Sounded like the service was kinda bad at them? Some beers are fermented in wood wiskey kegs, but that's pretty rare. I'm pretty sure you're right on the stainless steel, that's the go-to food grade metal.

I had a slip and slide accident this last weekend... Bruised my foot up good, might have torn my meniscus.

we can't keep up with them either. the places we went to (Angry Inch, and Wild Minds) just opened in last couple weeks. the service at Lakeville brew was bad because they were understaffed... or they ran out of glassware. it was surprising how crowded Lakeville brew was in comparison to Angry Inch. 

i've had some awful beer at Tin Whisker. it tasted really metallic. same with Nutmeg. i read that if the fermentation tanks aren't properly passivated that they can impart a metallic taste. so maybe in a rush to get the brewery started the tanks aren't dialed in? i'm thinking that overtime the breweries will get better.

sorry to hear about you injury. i have back pain myself. ever since karl's party i've been having pain. went to a doctor three times and got an MRI. the only thing he found was mild disc degeneration and self loathing.

10 hours ago, DonPablo said:

we can't keep up with them either. the places we went to (Angry Inch, and Wild Minds) just opened in last couple weeks. the service at Lakeville brew was bad because they were understaffed... or they ran out of glassware. it was surprising how crowded Lakeville brew was in comparison to Angry Inch. 

i've had some awful beer at Tin Whisker. it tasted really metallic. same with Nutmeg. i read that if the fermentation tanks aren't properly passivated that they can impart a metallic taste. so maybe in a rush to get the brewery started the tanks aren't dialed in? i'm thinking that overtime the breweries will get better.

sorry to hear about you injury. i have back pain myself. ever since karl's party i've been having pain. went to a doctor three times and got an MRI. the only thing he found was mild disc degeneration and self loathing.

Patti and I went to the two breweries in Lakeville. We were going to get dinner at the Lakeville Brewing Co, but we didn't want to wait so we went to the Heavy Metal Grill. The food truck they use to have offered delicious flavored pretzels. It's funny how close those two breweries are, they share the same parking lot. You can really see how much of a difference offering food at a brewery makes, a lot less people at Angry Inch. They were sold out of two of their beers at Angry Inch, probably their best two.

• 2 months later...

I haven't heard of them, planning to go to Insight for beer and doughnuts from Rebal Doughnuts later today. I'll have to add Clockwerk to the list. I never got into Bioshock, but the theme sounds fun. 

We are Jensens right now for breakfast, this is the place you said was really good, right?

Patti and I went to Nutmag a couple weeks ago, their IPAs are bad, they have no taste, just the taste of alcohol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DonPablo said:

I haven't heard of them, planning to go to Insight for beer and doughnuts from Rebal Doughnuts later today. I'll have to add Clockwerk to the list. I never got into Bioshock, but the theme sounds fun. 

We are Jensens right now for breakfast, this is the place you said was really good, right?

Patti and I went to Nutmag a couple weeks ago, their IPAs are bad, they have no taste, just the taste of alcohol.

re: jensons... i love the french toast. 

moira and i went to Clockwerk Brewing. the staff are dressed steampunkish. one guy was wearing some sort of monacle. there was this "flying machines" patent artwork that was being raffled. place was packed and standing room only. we felt really old there. they have a billiards table which i guess is holdover when the place was City Billiards. there was a guy there that silk-screened t-shirts while you waited. we just had one beer each. i had a german IPA which was okay. moira had the rye pilsner. she didn't finish. 

the menu

cb1.JPG

they have hand blown Edison bulbs lighting up the place. kind of cool. (apologies for potato quality)

cb2.JPG

after we finished we walked over to Fulton's. it was a long walk and it was cold. place wasn't as crowded. i had a "300" was a western style IPA (whatever that is). tasted kind of fruity.

they had a food truck that had wood fired pizzas. the pizzas are small single serving size so we each had our own. the pizzas were damn good! worth going back there for the pizzas.

A steampunk brewery? No thank you.

On another note, my personal favorite MN brewery will be closing its doors on January 31st. Harriet Brewing does mostly Belgian varieties, and does them very, very well. The West Side IPA is just incredible. Anyway, I'm not sure of the circumstances of the closing, though I've heard it has something to do with the building owner having other plans, after Harriet's lease expires. There's no plan to move locations, etc. It's a really neat little brewery, run by some passionate people. If you haven't been, you only have a few months to check it out!

http://www.harrietbrewing.com/tap-room/

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...