Note to New Members ×

WTF xl 2017

snowreport: tue feb 07, 2017

howdy all

super high clouds with some blue spots and mostly good vis and maybe an inch over groom.

kinda soft groomers from yesterdays pow, great carving with some deep trenches some places better

than others. rode the soft carver and had a blast. not too crowded so made a bunch of runs and was

pooped early. so much fun on the softies...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 1...

snowreport: fri feb 10, 2017

howdy all

worked in the morning and as I was about to get cut loose someone that came in said that chair 1

would not open till later in the day. so I checked the big's snow report and decided to take a nap...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Deep thoughts by Mike*:

12 p.m. update: Chair 1 is open to the public. All chairs are now open. Thank you for your patience. 

The skiing is good up top, but where the snow line was yesterday, there is a change over. Groomers have irregularities and they're hard and slick. Off-groom skiing will be best on the North Side and Flower Point. The same thing happens off-groom. There's a change over between 5500-6000 feet. 

Clouds are beginning to move in. Pray for snow!

10 a.m. update: Chair 1 is still not open to the public. Thank you for your patience. Lift maintenance is working as fast and as hard as they can.

Due to Chair 1's delay, chairs 7 and 11 will also be late. There's a very good chance Chair 7 will have the same problems as Chair 1 this morning, because it too is a detachable lift. Chair 8 and Hellroaring will open when Chair 1 starts to turn for the public.

I'll continue to update the snow report as I receive info from ski patrol.

9 a.m. Update: It's a beautiful sunny and mild morning up here on the mountain. 

Chair 1 will have a delayed opening this morning due to the chairs at the summit sticking. And if Chair 1 is opening late then Chairs 7 and 11 will also have delayed openings. Chair 8 will open on time.

Also in addition to chairs not turning, the kitchen staff will be late to the summit, so have patience when ordering food this morning. 

Lift maintenance is working hard to open the chair as soon as possible. 

6 a.m. Report: A clear, starlit sky greets us this morning after a crazy day of weather all across the western U.S. yesterday. Here in our corner of Montana the snow-line slowly crawled its way up the mountain, but never made it as high as forecasts feared. So we can expect great skiing today, especially on the top half of the mountain and north facing slopes. 

Multiple ski resorts, even in Montana, had to shut down operations due to this past warm front knocking out power, so we were the lucky ones here in northern Montana. Yes, the weather got a little more wet than we like down in the Village, but with nearly 4 feet of snow this week, it's going to take a lot more than one pesky storm to take our good moods away. 

Our grooming crew is saying the runs are coming out great, especially on the upper mountain slopes. Down low we can expect springlike conditions on the groomers with a few irregularities. 

Off-groom skiing should still be great this morning. The Hellroaring Basin didn't open until 2:30 yesterday, so there ought to be tons of fresh lines in West Bowl. 

Forecasts are calling for a cooler system to arrive this afternoon, so we could get a nice refresh of snow today and tonight before a high pressure system arrives next week. Whitefish may be a sloppy mess, but we got new snow on the mountain. 

Pray4Snow!

snowreport: sat feb 11, 2017

howdy all

first run down ed's was a nightmare... icy groom and when scraped off makes hard chicken heads.

so down to chair 1 and waited then rode the backside. hooked up with my nephew and his girlfriend.

it was fun to ride with them as I would have not gone to many of the runs we did. we did a lot on

flower point and a few down the front later in the day as it softened up a bit. it was mostly sunny

and temps was very comfy. it turned out to be a great day considering the melt down from Thursday's

night rain. the backside stayed soft even though it was chewed up. good times!!!

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 4...

snowreport: mon feb 13, 2017

howdy all

nice comfy beautiful bluebird day, nice not too icy groomers in the morning. rode the tomahawk

and had the bindings too forward and adjusted it after a few runs then had a better time. went to

the backside to dial it in then rode hard. I was going to stay all day, but I some how hurt my shin

on the right leg boot cuff so called it at 2pm. don't know what was the cause. just before that two

boarders bombing toni matt, I saw them way back so I broke out my carve and headed to the side

when one of um skidded hard coming for me and just misses me. snow was getting just right when

I left. was a good day and wanted to stay all day.

rode the 157tomahawk from 9 till 2...

snowreport: tue feb 14, 2017

howdy all

happy valentines day... today was truly a beautiful bluebird day with no clouds as far as you could see.

nice comfy temps and on the warm side. first few runs on ed's was on the icy side, then cruised around

the backside and it was very good carving snow and did a bunch of runs just to wait for the front to soften

up. the frontside started to get soft about 1pm and the east facing side got soft first then it got really fun

and rode hard. hurt my shin yesterday so rode the softies and did nott feel like I brought the wrong board

on a good groomer day. third to last chair... super great fun day... tight turns...

snowreport: sat feb 18, 2017

howdy all

was not psyched to go up, but went thru the motions anyways. Wednesday morning was wet with

glazed ice, Thursday and Friday was warm and the snow in town was chunky corn and so the spring

conditions is in full swing. the mountain was the same with the freeze/thaw and chunky ice on the

southside, but the northside was o.k., but not the best. it's the presidents day weekend and the canadian

family day which is a week long thing. it was really busy and crazy so just cruised around and took it really

easy and made a few runs. it's raining lightly here in town right now at 9pm then maybe some snow on

sunday. so will see what Monday does, but I know it will be very busy. heard a lot of rooms are booked up

all over town. oh well, the snow conditions are crappy anyways...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 12:30...

snowreport: mon feb 20, 2017

howdy all

again wasn't too psyched to go up, but went thru the motions and got up there and it was foggy half

way up and just started to lightly snow. the big reported 1 inch overnight, but yesterday it dumped

8 inches of creamy pow and heard it was a good pow day. frontside was icy crunchy with a dusting

over groom and the backside was much better with softer groom and softer off groom. rode chair 11

and went into the trees and found some deep pow and had a lot of fun exploring. wasn't going to stay

long, but had so much fun and the crowd wasn't so bad and never wait in line any where I went.

took my time and was in a slow pace and went all over the place. snowed all day and hard at times

and the wind blew hard from the south to north. turned out to be a very fun day and shut the place down...

snowreport: tue feb 21, 2017

howdy all

the big reported 4 inches overnight and it snowed all day and got better as the day progressed.

it was perfect groomers on ed's run first thing in the morning, it was smooth and just enough to hold

an edge and carved hard from the first run. did a bunch of runs for an hour and a half then did a few

on toni matt then took my break about 11:30am. cruised around the backside and found some good

pow. then by the later part of the day the frontside was good and soft and by the end of the day it

got a little heavy. great carving in the morning then fun pow in the afternoon... rode hard all day...

snowreport: fri feb 24, 2017

howdy all

worked in the morning and I knew the mountain would be in great carving condition, but we were

kinda busy so got cut loose later. last night got into the single digits and the artic air is here and makes

for great grippy groomers. got on snow about 2pm and it looked like 10am in the morning, firm buffed out

groomers and lightly skied off. high overcast made the lighting flat with some sun trying to peak thru.

on new cut was little ridges in the seams, but was carvable. making laps on Aaron's run on the frontside

till closing then did ed's run till 5pm in night skiing. carved hard early on and had three solid hours of

softie carving... i'm glad I decided to go at that late hour...

rode the 152wfs from 2 till 5...

snowreport: sat feb 25, 2017

howdy all

wow! what a great carving day. ed's got groomed last cause last night was night skiing, it was perfect

groomers in the morning. the cold temps and lightly skied off stuff got groomed to perfection. rode hard

from the beginning and it was good all day. high overcast so lighting was flat most of the time. did a run

on the backside and it would have been fun with the softboots. carved some tight turns and was pooped

by 1pm, but kept going then got a second wind and did an hour into night skiing and it was still good groom

at 5pm. tight turns...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 5...

snowreport: sun feb 26, 2017

howdy all

yeah whatever! had to work all day so couldn't care less, but I know whats going on, on the hill.

all I care about is powder Mondays, my day off. heard it was knee deep good even on the groomers.

here is the big's snowreport: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Deep thoughts by Mike*:

11:00 a.m. update: Best day ever.

Weather Station is reporting 18 inches in the last 24 hours. Enjoy. 

10:45 a.m. update: Hellroaring Basin in open! 

10 a.m. update: It's safe to say that this is the best powder day we've had this year. The snow is so light, and you don't have to even look for the white room, it finds you even on the groomers.

Snow continues to dump all across the mountain, so we can expect instant refills today.

Enjoy the powder day!

ATTN: East Rim and First Creek just opened to the public, but the Hellroaring Basin is still closed for avalanche control.

8 a.m. update: As if this morning could get any better, it is by the minute. It continues to snow hard up here, and it's just going to get deeper. 

Ski patrol just reported 13 inches of new snow overnight, so that's 3 more inches since 6 a.m., and we have 3 more inches on our Village stake as well. 

You might want to remember your snorkel on our way out the door this morning. 

As usual per powder days, please follow all ski patrol signage. Gates are closed because they're doing avalanche mitigation. We'll update openings and closures as they happen this morning. 

Patrol Director Dave Stephens just said we're in for one of the best powder days of the year. Utah powder anyone? 4% density snow. Cold smoke!

6 a.m. Report: It's DUMPING snow up here from the summit to the Village this morning. We're in for a cold smoke powder day with free refills throughout the day.

We already received 10 inches of snow at the summit, when forecasts called for half that. And it's still coming down hard. Forecasts are calling for more snow today, and storms should continue to hit northwest Montana for the next few days. 

The groomers say the mountain is looking great this morning, and that this snow is blower powder. They groomed up 60 runs for us today, but you probably won't be able to tell on the Front Side. If you're looking for the freshest corduroy, head to Chair 7, as they're finishing up back there now. But I expect even on the North Side there will be at least an inch or two on all the groomed runs. So grab your powder boats and a few friends and head up to the mountain. 

Remember our new parking app we launched last week? Text PARKTHEFISH to 24587 to find the closest spot to the slopes.

Who's ready for another epic day on the Big Mountain? I know I am. See you up here

snowreport: mon feb 27, 2017

howdy all

a weird day all around, the water main breaks near my house about 1am and still fixing it late into

the evening. took my break about 11:30am and as I was going out I notice no one on chair 1 and

the loud generator running so stayed on the backside and did a bunch of runs on flower point. they

said chair 1 was down for the day. ate lunch about 2pm and as i'm eating I see chair 1 running with

no one on then as i'm outside getting ready to ride I see people getting off chair 1. clouds just above

the summit then very slowly creeps down by the end of the day. there was still a lot of deep lite pow

and the chewed up stuff was still good and soft. very lite snow now and then with very lite winds.

today was a fun pow day even though the big only reported 3 inches overnight. the 4pm snow bus

broke down so had to wait for the next one. a weird day... but fun...

snowreport: tue feb 28, 2017

howdy all

8 inches overnight and with the pow of the last two days it was an epic pow day. everywhere was

deep and soft and even the chewed up stuff was still soft and rode really smooth. snowed hard at

times and the wind really blew hard about 2:30pm to 3pm and filled in the tracks. foggy in and out

and mostly flat lighting and of course the sun comes out at 4pm. lapping the frontside cause every

where was good and was good all day. the crowd thinned out by noon and the laps just gets faster.

today was epic and everybody in a very good mood... deep soft pow...

rode the amp5 from 9 till 4...

snowreport: fri mar 03, 2017

howdy all

worked in the morning, the big reported 9 inches new, but in town there was no snow and a soggy

mess as it's on the warm side. got on snow about 1pm and you could feel the moisture in the air.

as usual the fog on the top third with good soft snow then as you go down it's good vis and the bottom

third the snow starts to get heavy. had a hard time the first few runs and took me a while to get into

the groove. just did the frontside and it was good and deep in spots. not much people on the hill.

forecast is more snow all week, but probably on the heavy creamy side... 7 day forecast pic...

rode the 152wfs from 1 till 4...

7_Day_Kalispell.jpg

snowreport: sat mar 04, 2017

howdy all

thought today was going to be hardpack groomers after yesterdays kinda heavy snow later in the day.

it was nice soft groomers and carved really good, but got chewed up fast with the high traffic. first few

runs was really good then met brudda dane's nephew sam on hardboots and made a few run's together

with johnasmo. sam is pretty good for riding only a few days. high overcast and snowing at times and

did some runs on the backside then on my last run did elephant's graveyard and dropped in too early

and got stuck in the flats then dropped into over the hill gang then expressway. haven't gone that side

in years... good times...

snowreport: mon mar 06, 2017

howdy all

just about 2 inches over groom, it was much colder on the hill and the snow was dry and was easy to

carve through it and it held an edge very well. about my third or forth run on ed's I see some weird shapes

at the very bottom between ed's and new day and as I am getting near lower ed's I see five or six deer

coming up the middle of the run and they are looking at me as I carve past them on skiers right. the deer's

were big... it snowed all day with some good wind and the snow kept piling up. foggy half way up and thick

at times, it was a full on winter day. should have brought the softies by the end of the day, but the carving

was really good in the morning. forecast is more snow every day and cooler artic air... winter is back!!!...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 4...

snowreport: tue mar 07, 2017

howdy all

had a dentist appointment this morning. got on snow just before noon and as I get in line I bump into

Aaron from Soulmotion in Missoula and a couple of his buddies and did a few runs with them. then ran

into Johnasmo and Sam and his brother Thomas and rode with them the rest of the day. it was a fun day

riding with these guys. it was sunny the first few hours then got cloudy and cooler with some snow by the

end of the day. the groomers was better than I expected as the snowreport said there was 3 inches over-

night, should have brought the hardboots. another good day...

rode the 152wfs from 12 till 4...

snowreport: fri mar 10, 2017

howdy all

worked in the morning and the big reported 10 inches overnight. heard it was crazy busy as no one

seems to work around here. in my mind it was going to be soft chewed up leftovers, but it was worst

than I thought, it was really wet and heavy and the high traffic areas was packed down cement and

slippery. we had the artic air to the east, but the strong pacific storm pushed it more to the east and

it is very warm and humid. forecast is 33 degrees on the summit and 36 degrees in the village so the

spring freeze/thaw is here. sunday is the time change so an hour earlier so frozen cord first thing in

the morning. tomorrow might be ok groomers early then spring slush.

rode the amp5 from 1 till 3...

snowreport: sat mar 11, 2017

howdy all

no new snow and a nice bluesky sunshine with warm temps first thing in the morning. the wet heavy

snow of yesterday groomed down o.k. and ed's run was good early, but the bottom of toni matt wasn't

so good. ptarmigan bowl was very good and did a bunch of laps there. rode with Greg who just got a

new coiler and was ripping it. then met up with Johnasmo, Sam, Thomas and k-den and did a few runs.

today was a good day of carving considering the conditions of yesterday afternoon. the sun softened up

the snow just enough then it got cloudy and cooler later so tomorrow should be good, but I gotta work.

so on Tuesday I saw these bunch of guys filming and saw them on the snowbus and just happen to see

their vid it was posted on 3-8-17... here it is... enjoy...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 3...

Edited by west carven
added part 02

snowreport: mon mar 13, 2017

howdy all

so with the time change yesterday it's actually an hour earlier. the big reported 4 inches new and

the backside was a little softer and the frontside soft on the top and the bottom a little over crunchy

groom. kinda knew what to expect and the early stuff was ok then the chewed up stuff got into wet

hard piles. called it early. the forecast is more warm temps and rain all week... it's going down hill

fast... not the best day and took it easy...

rode the 157sx from 9 till 1...

snowreport: tue mar 14, 2017

howdy all

should I stay or should I go? easy question, STAY!. did not go up cause it rained all last night and

all morning with a big blob on the radar heading this way. rain levels reported to be just over 7,000 ft.

by noon. got that after season blues, but looking forward to spring time fly fishing them summer sup paddling.

still hopeful for some artic air and fast firm groomers. it was nice to take it easy and catch up on some much

needed house cleaning... 26 more days left... did 54 days so far...

did not ride today...