Note to New Members ×

WTF xl 2017

snowreport: tue dec 13, 2016

howdy all

no new snow with sub zero temps and sunshine all day makes for a great carving day. still thin coverage

with a lot of little pine tops sticking up. my base was nice this morning, but the carving was so good and I

just kept going and the base got pretty scratched up. not many people up on the hill cause its pretty cold,

I kept checking the temp at the summit and it read minus two all morning. tonight's low is minus thirteen

here in town. doing the softboot carving and having a blast with it. riding the small board I have to stop

a few times during a run to catch my breath and give my feet a break. I am already thinking of getting

the 2017 version of the flagship, flax topsheet and refined shape. forecast is colder by the weekend...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 2...

snowreport: fri dec 16, 2016

howdy all

could have gone up, but decided not to cause chair 1 did not run all day cause of fridge temps.

wind chill of minus 30... buurrrrrr! it's just after 2pm and it's blue sky sunshine, but fricken cold.

only a couple inch new and still too many pine tops, so was not psyched to go up. should be the

same tomorrow so will see how I feel and look and the snowreport. here's today's from the big:

Deep thoughts by Mike**:

9:15 a.m.: The temperature is frigid today, so bundle up if you're planning on skiing today. And take lots of breaks. Ed and Mully's and the Base Lodge are great places to enjoy a hot cocoa, coffee or beer and sit by the fireplaces. 

The terrain park area of Chair 3 got a facelift yesterday, so go check out The Depot today for some park laps. 

Chair 1 is closed for the day. Chairs 2, 3, 6 and the carpet will run their regular scheduled times. Passes will be discounted today due to limited terrain. 

Reduced prices are: $62 for adults ages 19-64, $58 for teens 13-18 and seniors 65-69 and $35 for ages 7-12. Super seniors 70 & over and children 6 & under are free.

8 a.m. update: Attn: Chair 1 isn't going to run at all today. Today's chairs will be 2, 3, 6 and the carpet. 

The reason for the summit closure are cold temperatures and gusting wind. Wind chill values remain at -30 degrees, and with winds from the north, wind chill values will be even lower while riding Chair 1. 

Stay warm out there! 

6 a.m. report: Snow fell most of the day yesterday, and it continues to snow lightly down in the Village. The wind is the big story the last few days, so expect snow drifts and deeper totals where winds are calmer. 

The grooming crew said the new snow has helped soften up the runs from the windy conditions we've had, so we can expect 35 great groomed runs from Ridge Run to Home Again. 

Cold and blustery conditions continue this morning. The summit temperature is -10 degrees and 0 degrees in the Village. Wind chill values on the summit are -30 right now and forecasted to stay that way the rest of the day, so stay warm out there. 

Chair 2 and Chair 7 were the places to be yesterday. The North Side always holds the snow better and the wind is at your back while riding the chair, and Chair 2 doesn't have the exposure that Chair 1 has. 

It's Friday, so start your weekend early with us. The mountain is calling. I'll see you up here. 

Pray4Snow!!!

howdy allee

i'm running 40/20 and kinda wide stance on bomber power plates with burton cartels.

I was surprised it felt good and carved some tight ones... hope to see you at WTF...

snowreport: sat dec 17, 2016

howdy all

decided not to go up cause it's really cold and there are still many pine tops sticking up. a little more

snow and warmer temps by early next week so it will get better, should be around 30 degrees and it

will feel like a heat wave. chair 1 did not run again and only chair 2,3,6 and the other lower mountain.

howdy Cuban I have seen johnasmo up riding, he has more vertical than me. and no that is probably

not me in the Hibernation House ad, but I was in print in the 2015/16 vacation planner for the resort

with my three strap which I broke a few days ago.

DSCN1169 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

snowreport: mon dec 19, 2016

howdy all

less than an inch this morning here in town, big mountain reported 7 inches overnight. there was a few

inches over groom and dumping all day with a good wind from the south. lighting was flat with the

voodoo fog on top and the bottom not so bad. piles got big as the soft snow got pushed around, but

with the cold temps it stayed lite enough to carve thru it. pretty busy for a Monday, but I guess the

holiday crowds are slowly arriving. it was a fun day, I still won't go too off the groom cause it is still

thin coverage. hopefully this storm will cover the little pine tops and the groomers will be good to go.

forecast is more snow tonight and a little more during the week than cold again by the weekend.

groomers should be good next week and hope to be on the hardboots.

Hi folks, not to hijack the thread, but anyone want to swing by Schweitzer for NICE after WTF? We'll be riding there from Jan 29 to Feb 4 or so. Buster / Garrett is tearing himself away from the surfing long enough to join us, and we're working on lining up a nice rental house for the first half of the week, with lots of rooms / beds. Then you could go straight to ATC and make a clean sweep :biggthump

snowreport: tue dec 20, 2016

howdy all

what a difference a day makes, today much warmer with three inch plus of thicker creamy snow.

the voodoo fog was down to the village and it would stick to your goggles. not the best day as the

push piles would set-up and get bumpy. the first few runs was really good then try to find places

where no one goes. I am still on the groomers and will not go off groom cause it is still thin coverage.

todays high was about 40 degrees here in town and as i got home it was lightly raining. forecast is

a slight cool down by next week...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 1...

snowreport: fri dec 23, 2016

howdy all

with no new snow the groomers was really good. it was nice in the morning than started to snow

about 11am. the basin opened today so the crowds was spread out, but still kinda busy on chair 1

so I stayed on chair 2 all day and did not have to wait in line. hero groom and I was having fun with

the softboot carving. today would have been a good hardboot day. forecast is more snow all night

and all day tomorrow, it's 10pm and there is 2 plus inches here in town. took the day off and let the

high school kids work...

snowreport: sat dec 24, 2016

howdy all

busy holiday madness. a little new over soft groom that got chewed up pretty fast into huge piles.

there was one spot on lower eds that was a little icey and did not get bumped up and could make

a few good turns. I stayed on chair2 and only went up to the summit to take a break and a couple

down the backside. chair 1 was very busy and chair 2 was not. the basin opened yesterday, but

people said the bottom wasn't very good and need more snow. was a fun day...

snowreport: sun dec 25, 2016

howdy all

merry Christmas! woke up to a beautiful blue bird morning and colder temps with the squeakiest

snow as I walked to the snow bus. with colder temps and no new snow I knew it was going to be

a good groomer day, but still having fun with the softboot carving. tomorrow should be really busy

and groomers should be really good if it doesn't snow too much, i'll bring the hardboots. it was quiet

in the morning then busier in the noontime and some clouds rolled in and lightly snowing on the summit.

I wasn't in the best condition today, but still got er done, last night had a little too much eggnog...

• Like 1

snowreport: mon dec 26, 2016

howdy all

the big reported 4 inches new and down here in town an inch of very lite fluffy snow. not as busy

as I thought as chair 1 wasn't too busy. good carving all morning with only a couple inch of new over

groom. the fluffy snow was easy to cut thru and the groom was there. it was a fun day and carved

some tight turns with the softies. the voodoo fog was from the top chair 2 on up most of the day.

forecast is more snow tonight and all day tomorrow and the next few days. rode hard today...

snowreport: tue dec 27, 2016

howdy all

it was a grey snowy morning and dumping hard all day and must have started early in the morning

cause there was a lot of pow over the groom. it was foggy and very humid and it would stick to your

goggles and the wind blown chops made it a very challenging day. took my break at 11am then went

back out and still snowing with a good wind, but no more sticking to the goggles. I am still only riding

on the runs and not going off groom. took one run down ed's then waited for chair 1 and was about

6th chair then did toni matt, would have been better if I could see, just going down by memory. was

a fun pow day, but I would rather have a groomer day. there was about 4 inches over groom of good

fine snow. forecast is more snow then a cool down by the weekend, single digits nights...

In Kalispell area, looking for gear, instruction for carving.

Hello,

Apologies if this isn't exactly the right spot for posting this, just seemed the most expedient. If I've offended, please let me know, and the best place to re-post.

I'm interested in learning to carve with a dedicated hard boot set up. I've been snowboarding for 30 years, mostly using old burton hard plates and AT boots on an old all mountain Nitro that I used for back country and now for everything because it's easy and I'm used to it.

Does anyone in the Whitefish, Kalispell area have any gear they'd like to sell. I'm 5'7", 145 lbs. Approximate Mondo 26, street shoe 7.5 - 8.

I'd be looking for a beginner oriented set up. Board, Bindings, Boots.

And lastly, If I'm able to come up with some gear I'd be happy to compensate someone for some pointers. Maybe a half day for some basic pointers and critique Big Mountain (Whitefish Resort).

Thank you,

Ian

Edited by Fliersmith

snowreport: fri dec 30, 2016

howdy all

the big reported 6 inches overnight, but the snow fell early and it all got groomed down on chair 2.

good soft groomers first thing in the morning than got chewed up really fast with the huge crowds.

was planning to go up to the summit, but chair 1 was full beyond the gates and the singles line was

on the other side of middle fork so I did not bother to go up. chair 2 was getting busier and the snow

was getting bumpy so called it early. it was mostly sunny and a very nice day and I wanted to stay

longer, but it was too much with the huge crowds. holiday madness...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 11...

snowreport: sat dec 31, 2016

howdy all

happy new year! last day of 2016 was great groomers, you guys should have been here. knew it

was going to be good, but still brought the softies and it was a super fun day. still pretty busy, but

the firm groomers stayed good all day. ed's was bumpy with dips and rollers and not very good for

carving, but every where else was good. clear in the morning than super high overcast and a lite

fog on the summit about noon. went to watch the fireworks about 6:30pm on the bottom of ed's...

forecast is really cold temps by Wednesday/Thursday. maybe they shut the lifts again...

snowreport: sun jan 01, 2017

howdy all

happy new year! well had to work today and i'm glad cause it was super windy this morning and

I knew the hill would have issues with the high winds. here's the big's snowreport...

Deep thoughts by Nicky**:

11:35 a.m. update: Chair 3 is now closed due to wind.

9:40 a.m. update: Chairs 2, 3, 9, 10, the Magic Carpet and Elk Highlands are now open to the public!

Chair 1 will not load today. Please use Chair 10 to access Chairs 2 and 3. 

Bundle up. It is very windy up here.

9 a.m. update: We are still on hold as we assess which chairs are safe to load today. Thanks for your patience and keep checking back. 

8 a.m.  update: ATTN: All chairs are currently on hold.

We're seeing wind gusts approaching 40 mph at the Summit and wind chill values of -12 degrees. Keep refreshing the Snow Report for the latest update on openings. 

6 a.m. report: Happy New Year! We really couldn't have asked for a better way to ring in 2017 - it snowed all night and it's still snowing!

Most of the snow fell early this morning amid strong winds. I'd expect piles of blown snow, except our Grooming Team is currently out in full force working their way through North Side runs. The smoothest, freshest corduroy will be Chair 7 and Chair 11 terrain. 

We're under a Winter Storm Warning from now until tomorrow evening. Wind, snow and more wind are in our forecast. Tomorrow another wave of arctic air will hit, so enjoy today's relatively mild breezes and pop down to Chair 2 for a little reprieve. 

We had one of the deepest Decembers in recent memory. Cross your fingers for an equally snowy January - we're off to a good start so far! Bundle up, high five your lifties and we'll see you up here!

snowreport: mon jan 02, 2017

howdy all

well, today is my ride day, but with the cold temps and wind I decided to sleep in, needed the rest

anyways. it was a beautiful bluebird day, the sun was out all day, but temps was cold. shoveled my

driveway and sidewalk and it didn't feel too cold and thought I should have gone up. the mountain

didn't have that wind blown look to it like yesterday. the big opened chair 1 at 10:30am and I guess

the backside too. tomorrow should be a bit colder than a warm up by the weekend. maybe I go up

tomorrow around noon for a few runs just see how it is. here's this weeks forecast and the big...

7_Day_Kalispell.jpg

aef4c4419fb07d25947d5b703c549fa4-01-02-17 - Copy.jpg