Note to New Members ×

Not happy with Oxygen Proton, what would easier to ride?

Guest artnshel

Guest artnshel

I started snowboarding on a Burton Asym Air with plates long ago. I weigh 165lbs and am 6'. I got tired of my uncomfortable Raichle Flexon's 2 years ago so I tried softboots thinking they would be more comfortable, Wrong!

Last year I bought Raichle 413's (a size too big) and a used, inexpensive Oxygen Proton 168. I can't seem to get used to the board. I'm sure I don't like the big 14m radius but it also has no pop or life to it and I'm uncomfortable/unable to carve with it on the steeper pitches of a blue run. I'm sure my technique is at fault but I just don't like how committed the edge feels.

I'd like something easier to ride. Should I go all the way to an all mountain board like an Axis which would also help replace my Asym Air for powder? The old Burton plates on my Asym Air make me nervous after already failing once so I'd be happy to retire it. I also like the additional width of the Axis so I can run lower angles with my size 28 feet.

The other option I consider is a Donek Freecarve, maybe a 167 in the 19.5 waist width? It has a 10.6m sidecut would that make carving on harder terrain easier?

Any suggestions?

I used to ride an Asym Air with plates (still have it, actually) and switched to a Prior 4WD. Just got a Coiler AM to replace the Prior, so there's my vote of confidence in that general shape and style of board. I find they work really well in all conditions for riding in the Canadian rockies. I don't think Telluride would be all that different. The 21.5 cm waist demanded steeper angles, but once I got used to them I appreciated the quicker response of the narrower setup. It's a little more work to horse around in heavy powder but once used to it, no problem. If I had a Proton I would still want something for off the groomed. With the all-mountain shape, I don't feel like I'm missing out.

Guest artnshel

Thanks for the input, I do find myself of the groomed runs from time to time so the all mountain makes sense. How long is your board? I found a used 167 and wonder if it will be long enough?

Art

I have the Donek Axis 172 and a Coiler AM 182, both are quite adept at carving the groomed and quite good off it as well.

If I do back-to-back runs on the an 18 cm waisted alpine board and then the Axis, I feel like I have to be more deliberate on the Axis to carve it... and typically get used to it within a run or two.

If I were to have a "quiver of one" it would definitley be an all-mountain carver, most likely my AM 182.

Originally posted by artnshel

I can't seem to get used to the board. I'm sure I don't like the big 14m radius but it also has no pop or life to it and I'm uncomfortable/unable to carve with it on the steeper pitches of a blue run. I'm sure my technique is at fault but I just don't like how committed the edge feels.

It has a lot of life and pop. It is not sloppy though and it demands something the same from a lighter rider. You need to hone your technique plus set lower stance angles as Protons are rather wider boards (you work with knees and feet on them more rather than with waist/hips).

Now I defend Protons as I know them a bit. I would not recommend them to beginners or those who prefer something more freecarve.

Get a more carving board. Proton is more racing board.

I would recommend something from Donek, Coiler or Prior. F2 may have some nice freecarve boards.

If you had Proton 160 SL relatively unbeaten I would buy it from you right away :)

Originally posted by artnshel

Thanks for the input, I do find myself of the groomed runs from time to time so the all mountain makes sense. How long is your board? I found a used 167 and wonder if it will be long enough?

Art

The Prior was 165 and a little soft for me (I weigh 190). The new AM is 172 and quite a bit stiffer, but then it was custom made for my weight. It just arrived last week and I haven't had it on snow yet. I would have gone longer but I wanted to be able to take it in the bumps. If I have a craving for long, I'll bust out my 200 cm Tanker.

Your board is not to long, but the radius might be big for your ability. A big sidecut like this needs a lot of speed to turn. A smaller radius is easier to ride. My board is a 166, but with a 9.5m radius and is easy to ride. So if you look for a new board, check the sidecut radius.

Guest artnshel

I'm sure the Proton is a good board, it's just too much board for me.

I think I'll be better off with an All Mountain board with a much shorter sidecut. I agree that the lenght is less critical for me.

Thanks for the all the wisdom.

Art

and are willing to go for a narrow board a Madd 170 is killer

lots of pop and killer edge hold.

the axis is a quite a good board but I am addicted to the coiler AM due to the flex it seems to be stiffer through the nose, the axis is soft up front and stiff near the near the rear binding