Note to New Members ×

Are these the best instructional videos for racing?

gdboytyler

Yeah, BUT, CMC's technique is NOT for winning a Race!! It's what I wish my body could do to complete speed-controlled carves in any snow condition you'll find in-bounds. Curt took my physical constraints, and extrapolated his bio-mechanics and awareness of body-poise onto that paradigm. Combined with the Madds boards, you get an uber-athalete that makes the difficult seem easy (well, easy for a Gumbi, not for MY old bones!). When I teach to Racing, I still use the poise fundamentals, but I don't ask for the extended timing. It's all in the transition between turns that delays occur. The rest of the turn, well, that's up to You, or your choices during a gate-structured course, of course! I don't dislike EC style, per say, but, I shudder when I see boards flopping and skipping across the snow, because I know, the rider has exceeded the grip limits, and is close to being out of control. CMC is rarely 'out of control', except on a skateboard in Boston Traffic! So, Racers use about 1/3 of my approach to turns, because, its done that quickly.. Put my idea of a gracefully arced turn into a 6-point teaching box, but do steps 1,3, 6, and you're doing racing arcs, and the speed will come because you are not carving against gravity. Now, for a moment, please, understand this; I trained Curt not just on Snow, but on a Slalom-Race skateboard, which ROLLS thru turns,like you'd want to Carve. No Sliding, no brakes, pure speed, ahead at Warp-whatever! Curt has become a Force in Skateboard Slalom, and can push 'pro' riders pretty hard if he chooses. I know, because he's beat me at times, and I've been Racing Skateboards since '77. But, the differences in technique remain, and I see Boarders borrowing ski technique all the time, which would be my 6-pt idea done like this; 1,2, 5. , without that turn finish, and Catching yourself during the Arc, not planning it before you do it. It must be the boots....

To address where two students of mine, on Madds, went, in regards to Racing/Carving; Curt does any turn to the limit of completion he chooses! He can do a laid-over-prone arc, or Suck It Up and go for a 360* On Edge. And as for 360*'s . Curt, Mac, Shane, and myself have pulled 360* arcs (even without gong to 'tailstands'), carved, pure,without skidding out, all on Madds boards. We are talking no sluff, no chatter, no pulling it off the camber, but true arced carves. Now, the issue truly is repetition, or video-readiness, for confirmation. Fine, I get that. But, It's been done for quite awhile now. That's edgehold and skill in an extreme. But in carving for Racing, you gotta trust your Edge, for a split-moment, then use the thrust/rebound to get you going faster! Your tun profile then focuses on the Initiation, with a smaller focus  on the edge-set, and a large commitment to your turn's smooth (no Chatter!) finis; which sets the whole of the sequence up again. The basic idea of having 'unflappable' edging resides in staying low, compact, and then exploding the power as needed to gain speed. This means that a short board, with a higher grip 'in-arc' will defeat a 'glider' using a big board that hopefully doesn't miss the turn.  

Good luck with that!  

Turner Summer Ski, 19" WB, 17" stance, 55 mph.Same Board I did 5.5 Ft. cones with at Morro Bay, Worlds, '04, for T.S.  

"PSR" 

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2016 at 2:09 PM, Beckmann AG said:

You'll see a variety and combination of movement options in the following.

Ignore any commentary, enjoy the music.

Watching Ted just carve the lower half of that course gets my heart beating...  The upper body is so quiet and it almost looks like he is having fun.  Of course he crushes everyone for first by a significant margin.  I know body and style I'm more Bode but I work to be more Ted.

Thanks for the vids!

On 4/7/2016 at 7:40 PM, nigelc said:

I note that the scr of gs skis is a mismatch for the course. Pgs courses are considerably tighter. Is there a greater mismatch between the gs snowboards and the courses. And in this Era of progressive screen has anybody experimented with a board that will carve all the way down the course? Is that even possible?

The courses I've had the chance to run specifically are setup so you cannot carve from top to bottom.  You will loose speed and have a longer line.  That said I really enjoy doing this from time to time... just so long as it's early before the course gets all dug out.

Unlikely to see snowboarders with upper body motion like TL until they move their centre of mass around like he does. 

GS skiers clearly weight their edges by alternating weight from front heel and rear toe, just like the mainstream snowboarder. ;-) 

Seriously now, contrast the upper body position and motion of Vic Wild and Zan Kosir, both very good current racers. Wild keeps his body facing down the fall line both heel and toeside. On Kosir's heelside his body very clearly faces across the board and somewhere closer to Wild's position on toeside.

Intriguingly, the YouTube video of Vic Wild as an 11yr old shows the style of his formative coach, Monique Pelletier, with the same facing forward, hands forward, shoulders across the board stance that Vic continues to use. Monique is an ex World Cup alpine racer - on skis.

Edited by SunSurfer
Add detail
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I'm a slow learner and at age 70 I'm not likely to change.  I'm having difficulty grasping some of the technique concepts described above.   In both ski racing and snowboard racing I try to stay low and suck my knees up into my chest at the gates in kind of a cross-uhder move.  Sometimes the unweighting causes the board to rise up.  I'm getting better at it but have a lot of room to improve.  I clearly did not stay low in this sequence shot a couple of years ago.

I've had five knee surgeries and can't bend either of them very well so that dictates how low I can get while riding.  Suggestions are always welcome.

composite.jpg

Here are some more recent shots, plus one on skis.

composite 2.jpg

Edited by patmoore