• Any Board - Certain Conditions - Any Terrain
    • Any Board - Any Conditions - Certain Terrain
    • Any Board - Certain Conditions - Certain Terrain
    • Certain Board - Certain Conditions - Certain Terrain
    • Certain Board - Any Conditions - Certain Terrain
    • Certain Board - Certain Conditions - Any Terrain
    • Certain Board - Any Conditions - Any Terrain
    • I just like to ride my snowboards.

I was on the mountain today looking at some of the cars with the cargo boxes that lock shut. I was thinking about my quiver and how if I could bring all my boards on any given day I would pretty much be able to take advantage of the perfect board for that particular day. Then I thought that using the right tool for the right job makes me smart, but it doesn't necessarily make me a great snowboarder, perhaps a great snowboarder is one who could take any board on any terrain in any conditions. Or maybe not....What is your philosophy?

Guest Randy S.

I know (from experience) that I can ride any of my boards in any conditions. That said, I like certain boards for certain conditions. I'll often bring two boards to the hill and switch mid-day (or earlier). Often that means takiing out the 210 until the people show up / snow gets cut up. Then I go to my locker for the other board (often my 171 Freecarve). I think it makes you a better rider to get some experience riding one board in all sorts of conditions, but I've gotten that experience, so now I pick my tools. I might bring 3 boards to the hill if I had 3 full sets of bindings (I have 2 full TD2s plus an extra mounting kit so I could ride 3 boards in a day if I wanted to turn a wrench).

I don't like to take with me up the mountain the whole qiver. Don't like to be afraid, don't like to care about locks, don't like the action in the morning bringing them up. So I was looking for the board for (nearly) any condition. My absolute favourite board does it well on all kind of grooming, just needs some effort dp bend on narrow slopes. There might be better tools for the narrow ones, but I would always miss my WCR on the wider and steeper parts!!

What I will have to add is the ultimate powder board. Don't know yet, what it will look like, but maybe something oldschool from the 80s. I votet for certain board any terrain, any condition. But more precisely it would have been any grooming instead of any condition ;)

The options on this poll are making me a little dizzy...

I have one alpine board and one powder board. I hardly ever ride the powder board 'cos when we do get powder it's usually no more than about 12", which I find just as much fun on my alpine board.

If I had deeper powder I'd ride my powder board more often, and if I had deeper pockets I'd have more than one alpine board.

Originally posted by Baka Dasai

The options on this poll are making me a little dizzy...

I have one alpine board and one powder board. I hardly ever ride the powder board 'cos when we do get powder it's usually no more than about 12", which I find just as much fun on my alpine board.

If I had deeper powder I'd ride my powder board more often, and if I had deeper pockets I'd have more than one alpine board.

Having boarded here in Japan for 3 seasons I'd have to agree except that last Wednesday I boarded at Naeba in close to 3 feet of freshies...it was a serious work out and one that has convinced me to always carry a powder board, Sat/Sun at Happo One was classic carving conditions...light snow over/on morning Cord. I had two good days that vindicated my season...maybe I'll get a last day or two in April at Gala Yuzawa...I'm not used to my main carving board (RC175) enough to use it everywhere which limits the terrain that "I" can ride it on but I am discovering that it is more capable than I am...:D

A long time friend of mine rides all conditions and terrain on a Burton Custom 181 with soft bindings. He's been riding since 1985 and can carve with the best of them. He can also pound through bumps with it. The best all around rider I know and does it on one board with soft bindings. For me I prefer a hard deck on hard snow days and a soft deck with soft bindings on soft snow days. Any slope for either day will do but for bumps I prefer a soft deck.