Note to New Members ×

Looking for Boots, Maybe Bindings

SnowFerret

Hi.  So, after wanting to try it for a few years, I've finally decided to give hardbooting a shot.  I am currently looking for boots, probably mondo size 29 but I could try 28.5 and 29.5 size boots.  I would also be interested in a compatible set of bindings as well if available.

I'm located in northern NJ and would prefer to try on gear locally before I buy.  Also, if anybody knew of any ski shops that rented and/or sold gear in NJ/NY/PA/CT that would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Head to Camelback and PM me beforehand. I have 29 and 28 boots, and bindings and boards you can try.

28.5 is usually the same shell as 28... rarely any actual difference.

Renting hardboot gear? Hah! Unless you check out Bomber's East Coast trip, good luck! Berkshire East used to, but I don't think they do this season since their hardbooting Snow Sports director left. Best to rely on this forum, or go to Colorado.

Welcome. Most local shop to north Jersey? I trust Heino's.

http://www.heinosskiandcycle.com/

They're a smaller shop, inconveniently located on the south bound side of Rt 23 in Wayne.

No shop in north Jersey stocks hardboot gear anymore, but Heino's has been there for decades and know all about alpine boarding.

Amy, who works there, is a hardbooter.

Best suggestion I can give is regarding boot fit.

Just like ski boots, comfort makes ALL the difference.

Heino's can help.

To actually TRY gear? Make it to ECES this week (or catch Bomber's local demo days).

http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/forum/65-2016-eces/

http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/topic/42967-toggenburg-and-seven-springs-demo-days/?hl=bomber

Other than that, you'll be trying to make friends here online and asking to test their gear.

Whatever you do, be patient and don't give up. It is soooo worth it, and will make you a better rider.

Mountain Creek is my local. Drop me a message. Let me know if you need any extra help.

Other local resources: usually couple riders at Hunter, Blue and Camelback have reputations of hardbooter groups, Whiteface, Stratton has Starting Gate shop (Gary, the owner, is a long time boot fitter).

Thanks for the information you two. I actually contacted an instructor at Berkshire East last year about a lesson/equipment rentals but never got around to booking anything. When I tried looking into it again this season I was unable to find the info on their website. Depending on my availability, I might plan a trip to ECES this weekend.

Teach,

The earliest I might be able to get to Camelback would be this weekend. I recently picked up a board but it needs a tune up so I might need to borrow a board as well.

Smilin'Dave,

Heino's isn't too far from me and it's conveniently located on 23S :). I actually called them a week or so ago on a whim asking if they happened to have any used gear. I don't believe I spoke with Amy but I will try again another time.

My goal for this week will be to confirm my boot size and figure out if I will be free to meet up this weekend. Thanks again for the help and I will be sure to ask more questions when I think of them!

Ok, so apparently my size might actually be 27.5-28. The salesperson said that I would go smaller if I was advanced skill level and larger for beginner/intermediate level. My feet are not identical in size and I think that 27.5 will be too small for my bigger foot anyway. When I tried measuring on my own I was getting about 28.5 on my bigger foot.

Didn't have time to try anything on today (ski boots are comparable, right?) but will try later in the week.

• 1 month later...