Note to New Members ×

Outward canting

yamifumi

Has anyone used outward canting?

I was reading "Carver's Almanac - http://www.alpinecarving.com/binding_setup.html" and the website was talking about the binding set ups. I have been playing around with lift, canting, flat, etc for a while now and I haven't quite found the "sweet" spot for myself yet.

I have been happy/ok with:

1.) front toe lift+rear flat

2.) front toe lift+rear inward cant, however, I feel there is slight chatter during heel side turn.

I have tried:

1.) front inward cant+heel lift - I hated it, i feel there is too much pressure on outside of the boots.

2.) front flat+rear flat - I felt uncomfortable with it and felt there was too much weight on front leg

I know there is no "right" set up for everyone but I wanted to see what other people's experience have been with set-ups. I have slight "bowlegged" when ankle is touching and Carver's Almanac was talking about outward canting. Has anyone tried it?

Edited by yamifumi

I have been playing around with lift, canting, flat, etc for a while now and I haven't quite found the "sweet" spot for myself yet.

First of all, don't trust my guidance, because I have no idea what I'm talking about. That said, you might think of going to Beckmann's site (search on Beckmann AG) and going through his set up guide. I'm not sure there's a better, more complete, more linear guide to this very finicky operation. Fascinating stuff.

If you are bowlegged I would have thought outward canting would put you in a more neutral body position. Being relatively straight legged I ride with slight inward canting. Good  for you for tackling this task. Lots of screws to turn ! Have you addressed the canting on your boots as well as bindings ?

If you are bowlegged I would have thought outward canting would put you in a more neutral body position. Being relatively straight legged I ride with slight inward canting. Good  for you for tackling this task. Lots of screws to turn ! Have you addressed the canting on your boots as well as bindings ?

Yes, I have no inward cant on the boots by having the arrow pointed at the top (if arrow is at the bottom, boot has inward cant). 

Also I have minimum forward lean with RAB system since I feel that deeluxe indy already  has enough forward lean.

When you stand on a flat surface with your snowboard boots on in the stance you ride are your boot soles flat on the floor ? If not adjust the cant in your bindings to match how your boots are tilted. If you a bowlegged it will probably require you to tilt the bindings to the outside edges . Knock kneed  and you will tilt to the inside. You should feel comfortable carpet carving in this canted position without cramping up. For some slight canting in the boots is enough others may require both bindings and boots canted. May affect dominant leg more than the other. You want to be balanced on the board side to side front to back. Carpet carving is under rated. You don't want to be spending time doing this after you have purchased your lift pass. It takes a fair bit of time to sort  it all out so don't consume too many beer's in the process.  

• Like 1

There is tons of screwing and unscrewing.... still tackling it!

Since I was ok/happy with front toe lift + flat rear so I am gonna give a toe lift + heel lift a try next time i am on the slope! Maybe add small outward cant after that to see....

Thanks all for interesting ideas!