Note to New Members ×

Trail and board recommendation for Mammoth Feb 1 - Feb 5

pow4ever

First time to Mammoth and it will be my first day on the mountain this season.

Plan to ride 5 days(weekday).  

What do you recommend on "warm up/easier" trails to get the leg back?

How wide are the carving trail?

What type of board does the local typically ride? GS/SL/All mountain/Free carve?

Thanks in advance.

David

Stump Alley for a good warm up.  Its super wide and a good pitch but gets stupid crowded as the day goes on.  Start there, then perhaps head to the backside (Chairs 13-14) to avoid some of the crowd and get some variation in pitch.  Since you'll be there on the weekdays, it should stay nice and empty though, and you can probably get away with a GS board if you're used to that turn size.

For steeps, Cornice and Scotty's can be good carving if groomed.  St. Anton to the race courses (Andy's double gold, etc) are also good carving with lesser crowds.

Mellower groomed stuff by Eagle and Canyon would be runs like Bridges, Christmas Tree, Hully Gully.  For a bit steeper, if groomed runs off of chair 25 such as Haven't the Foggiest and Back for More are pretty good on that side of the mountain.

I, along with likely many others here, recommend you take at least one day during your trip and do the quick 15 minute drive up to June Mountain.  Gunsmoke is essentially the mother of all moderate perfect carving pitch runs, and some of us spend entire days trenching up that perfect run.  On the J7 side, Schatzi, Matterhorn and Deer Bowl are also top notch carving and slightly steeper than Gunsmoke.  Being a weekday, you will likely be the only one on the entire run at June so bring the big boards and let 'er rip.

• Like 1

Love to meet up and take some turn but don't want to slow anyone down :-)

I am thinking going to June on Monday 2/1 since it get less snow?

Does that plan make sense?

Today 1/30 from what I can gather is heavy sierra cement

Tomorrow 1/31 should be colder and less moisture snow

How quick does the snow set?

Any guess on what the condition will be like on Monday?

I might be up on Wednesday, part day kind of thing. We will see, not sure. If so, riding around chair 2.

As for snow conditions, if there is fresh snow fall, mammoth gets tracked out realy fast, and runs rutted up by mid morning. June will have more pristine runs for carving, so your Monday plans sound perfect.