Note to New Members ×

Sun Valley 2015-16

carvedog

Holy Cow. We are off to such a great start. My only issue so far is that there is so much pow the carving hasn't been great......

Basically the whole mountain is open except for little sections of lifts that will open this week like lower Frenchmans and the Lower Bowls. 

The top half of the mountain is very covered off the groomed. Some of the lower half needs a bit more to be prime and that looks like it will happen soon. On Tuesday I made it to Lower Warm Springs and it was as good as it gets. Unbelievable carvable, cold chalk. 

I will try to post up on this thread when I hit it up. I was too busy getting early season face shots on the soft gear to carve much until two days ago. Wish I was up today but I have to work sometime. 

Also I am teaching for the Mtn this winter and I do have a lot ( my wife says waaaaay too much) carving gear. I will try to get on the loaner thread later but off the top of my head. 

FP173, Hooger 167, Ride 177AM, Canyon 173, Rossi 171AM, Burton plates, ProFlex SI and Raichle 10.5-11 314 boots. 

Come up and carve with me it will epicalicious. 

Sweet Mother of God it just keeps getting better. Supposedly just a couple on inches. Felt like six of the lightest and fluffiest. Did Inhibition for the first time in years. Total coverage the reef on the right even seemed to be covered. Christmas Bowl...couldn't see. Didn't matter. It felt like a foot. Exhi was good. There is still some funk in the trees but the mountain is the best I have seen in years. Ver thankful. 

I got some of the Prinoth Beasts finely manicured offerings last Saturday through Monday. Its been along while since i've seen Baldy looking that fine this time of year. Nice little snow cycle there last week. I'll be back up there as soon as my new Coiler arrives. Hurry Bruce, I'm having trouble waiting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good lord. Taught all thru Christmas week. Very cold but inverted for several days. Awesome cold chalky bumps and short powder stashes around even with the traffic. Very busy week. with all terrain open and all lifts you could disappear to a point but coming home at the end of the day was interesting. 

Now every one is gone and it's snowing again. I had a terrific morning riding a couple of inches of fresh then ran into Lamby and pounded out some untracked bumps on Holiday and Exhi. 

This mountain doesn't get like this often and you all should come help me track it up. 

Oh yeah it's nuking in town right now. Another reset. 

Edited by carvedog
  • Like 1

Missed your post. For some reason I don't get notifications from Bomber. Last Saturday was emergency brake work for a fried disc on my Explorer. The shop couldn't get to it until Tues or Wed. Ain't nobody got time for that so I got er done. 

Two inches of fresh yesterday that was dreamy. Work in the gallery today but back at it early tomorrow. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Breeseomatic, We'll probably be up on Tues. Would be fun to hook up with you for a few. We board all over the mountain, so will look for you. Great conditions here now. Had fun slooping around today in the snow storm. We were just over in Jackson. It was our first trip there and we really enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Having fun hanging with family, but it kind of limits extracurricular activity. I saw three hardbooters yesterday but didn't get to chat. Snow on most groomers is pretty hard but traffic has been remarkably light. Of the light traffic a disturbing fraction is faster than competent but no whackage so far. Got scolded by an instructor for going too fast, then complimented by one of two patrollers and a host at a slow sign a little further down (within sight). I think the instructor was trying to fluff up his tip.

This is a big hill, with fast lifts and short lines. By the end of the day I'm good and tired. Riding faster with the kids than I might by myself is a factor, as well as being out of shape from too much carpentry and not enough exercise this fall.

• 1 month later...

Sun Valley got 30 inches over two days on Sunday and Monday. The off piste was pretty epic for a couple of days but the groomed is epic right now. Parts of Warm Springs are closed to get ready for big ski races next week but it is off the hoook. Today was a good day.